Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

2 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Meanwhile, one of my hobbies (competitive overclocking) being even in the top 500 worldwide is considered a massive feat, doubly so if you can stay there (I'm happy enough being in the top 1k worldwide, and top 20 Canadians).  I've pushed as high as 327th worldwide, but it... Yeah, it's a full time job that doesn't make you money...  Doubly so if you don't have modern hardware, and you're holding through the thick and thin on stuff 8+ years old... 

Huh. I had no idea that competitive overclocking was a thing. I've learned something new today! Are there like actual competitions, or contests? How does one compete? I'm now suddenly quite curious about this.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

Huh. I had no idea that competitive overclocking was a thing. I've learned something new today! Are there like actual competitions, or contests? How does one compete? I'm now suddenly quite curious about this.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

HWBot is the main platform used.  There are competitions that are both live competitions, as well as online ones.  Their main live one is the World Tour, which has eight stops around the world plus a final held in Germany, and there's also their road to Pro series...  Alongside the annual Country Cup and Team Cup events (my ex-team, we got 3rd overall in Team Cup last year if I remember correctly). 

There are also the Kingston and G.Skill events, where prize pots as large as $25k USD are handed out, but those two are memory specific ones. 

As for general competing, you can create a profile on HWBot and do various benchmarks, and compete that way using a variety of cooling methods (my main one is dry ice with a few cap full of acetone), or if you wish you can enter the various individual and/or team focused events. 

I'd link my HWBot profile but honestly don't know if it would qualify under the rules or just t since HWBot's site is ad supported by their sponsors (and apparently, Amazon). 

Boo, turns out I'm only in the top 1200 worldwide now but such is life - I don't feel like trying to get my OC eSports points fixed after having left my old team as I'm more in it for the fun of things. 

• Like 3

there is something inherently unfair about being told you have sludge in your gall bladder.  Not even stones that might wind up as a trophy, sludge

I feel very mundane right now...

I also got to have my gall bladder exercised today.  Left with the entertaining feeling of my stomach being completely empty and making little "starving" cries while at the same time the rest of the brain and body is getting the "your full and you just ate a really heavy and fatty meal" signals.  some of the medical tricks that they can pull are cool but a little weird

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Aryanun said:

I and my brother were competative ice skaters. We were training for the Olympics.

I quit. It sucks being in 5th/6th grade and having a full time job on top of school. I got tired of it, not getting to do things my friends at school were doing, competitions all the time...

And the backstabbing, knoblin gerfing hypocrits. Those judges aren't impartial. We were run out of one rink and had to move to another city to find a new coach because the other parents hated my brother and I. My brother won just about every competition he was in. I was too young for those same competitions, but won my fair share in my age groups.

What was worse were the coaches. My first one didn't want to teach me, instead trying to hold out for my brother. I was 5/6 years old at the time and she wanted her fame sooner. Plus I'm a girl, so... my first experience with misogany.

My last coach. Similar, but he preferred teaching boys. I had to beg to learn the axel. My brother and I started training at the same time, though he's 3 years older. He was already learning doubles and I couldn't get my coach to let me out of the kiddie waltz or toe-loops. :grr: And they wondered why I did other people's (more advanced) programmes instead of my own. Yes, I would watch other skaters, memorize their programmes, and then do them. Even the more complicated jumps I wasn't supposed to know.

It was cutthroat. And you kowtowed to the judges. If they didn't like you, it was an automatic point deduction.

I hate figure skating now.

Ran into this a bit myself in karate as a kid. Because my dad and I were from another town and not butt kissers we didn't advance as fast as people who weren't as skilled. After a couple years another dojo opened and it wasn't so biased. I didn't care much because karate was my older brother's thing not mine. Still annoying though.  

I ran into it hard with my oldest boy in hockey a couple years ago and I still get angry thinking about it. He's no star and never will be but they treated him worse than any other kid on the team. They were almost the worst team in the league and he rarely got to play and had the coaches yell at us because he was the reason they lost. Seriously he was on the ice 2 minutes a game and the reason they lost 12-1? Up until then it was demanding but fun to watch. All I wanted was that he got as much playing time as the other kids that were at exactly the same skill level as he was. He was there to make friends and get exercise, not win the Stanley Cup. He came away with a intense dislike of organised sports. Only plus to it was that he learned a bit of how to deal with it when somebody craps on you. Something every 12 year old needs. :angry: The attitude that what ever sport you're interested in should totally control your life bugs me a lot.

Edited by Zink
  • Like 4
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, Aryanun said:

I and my brother were competative ice skaters. We were training for the Olympics.

I quit. It sucks being in 5th/6th grade and having a full time job on top of school. I got tired of it, not getting to do things my friends at school were doing, competitions all the time...

And the backstabbing, knoblin gerfing hypocrits. Those judges aren't impartial. We were run out of one rink and had to move to another city to find a new coach because the other parents hated my brother and I. My brother won just about every competition he was in. I was too young for those same competitions, but won my fair share in my age groups.

What was worse were the coaches. My first one didn't want to teach me, instead trying to hold out for my brother. I was 5/6 years old at the time and she wanted her fame sooner. Plus I'm a girl, so... my first experience with misogany.

My last coach. Similar, but he preferred teaching boys. I had to beg to learn the axel. My brother and I started training at the same time, though he's 3 years older. He was already learning doubles and I couldn't get my coach to let me out of the kiddie waltz or toe-loops. :grr: And they wondered why I did other people's (more advanced) programmes instead of my own. Yes, I would watch other skaters, memorize their programmes, and then do them. Even the more complicated jumps I wasn't supposed to know.

It was cutthroat. And you kowtowed to the judges. If they didn't like you, it was an automatic point deduction.

I hate figure skating now.

One of the reasons I am not a fan of these sports.  if you are going to judge then it should be on purely technical merit.  If you must judge it as art than have that be a second part of the scoring and open to interpretation.  that way if someone has bias, it becomes pretty obvious pretty quickly and it can be dealt with (preferably with stakes and fire... it keeps recurrence in check ::D:) I am not a competitive person, I tend to think that everyone should try their best and that should be enough, being #1 has never mattered to me.  So I don't participate in sports and the activities I do play in tend to be just fun and unscored.

<getting on soap box now>

what people do to little kids in kiddy sports, rink sports, and other competitions can be pretty sick.  We, as a species, fought long and hard for the right to let our children grow up at their own pace and to have fun and share.  to force them into what is an adults role to me is pretty wrong.

That isn't to say that there is no good stuff for kids out there.  I have seen plenty of teams and groups that teach kids to play and have fun without the scoring or the win attitude, but its not the majority  

• Like 9

Don't get me started on elite competitive sports for kids these days.  I don't know why society is so fixated on having kids be overachievers at everything to the point that they're worn out before they even get to college.  Life isn't a sprint, it's a marathon.  

• Like 8

19 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

He has a pit fiend sitting on the deck of the pirate ship.

And THEN he sent them home! :devil:

They just sank the Cheliax flagship - what could have been a long and drawn out battle ending a lot faster than expected - a string of critical successes and hits by the good guys pirates, and a bunch of failed rolls and a critical failure by the (really) bad guys.

So, the ship went down fast, but not before the Cheliaxian admiral and member of the Thrice Damned House of Thrune summoned a fare-thee-well gift.

First real game since the four missing players came back - and one of them has gone from being quiet and reserved to a swaggering braggart - his character, not the player. Football seems to have gotten him over being a bit shy.

And the first PC death for the kids game but well earned, taking an honor guard to Hell with him before falling to a pistol shot in the back. (Pirates... one of them couldn't be trusted - and was working for the House of Thrune.) The halfling.

The party has access to Raise Dead now, so he may get up - or he can generate a new character if he feels like it.

The Auld Grump - this time, none of them were 'quiet and reserved'. :lol:

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Aryanun said:

Someday, when I think Megan needs a laugh, I will take her ice skating.

Me, on ice skates... is a sight to behold. If you can see past your own hand while face palming.

I spend a good deal of the time horizontal, spinning in circles on my behind.

Not a thing of poise and grace on the ice, me. ::P:

The Auld Grump - I once managed to cut my forehead with my own ice skate - that I was wearing at the time. :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 10
  • Confused 1

Whoooooooo, can Thursday hurry up and get here? I want to order me some greenstuff.  And stamps.  And rolling pins.... 

.... And more gnolls, with a few bases. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Songs we went over for the Open Mic Night - slightly warped songs for St. Valentine's Day.

The Handsome Lady (Have you ever seen a copper kettle, mended up with an old tin can? Have you ever seen a handsome lady, married to an ugly man?)

Brian O'Lynn (And he tuckled that meal sack up under his chin, why they'll think I've got ruffles, says Brian O'Lynn.)

And two that are a wee bit more fantastic - Tam Lin (I forbid ye, maidens all, that wear gauld in your hair, to come or go, by Carteraugh, for young Tam Lin is there - a song where the damsel is the one doing the rescuing. ::): )

The Elphin Knight (There were three sisters, fair and bright (Over the hills, love, and far away) and they three loved an elphin knight (The cauld wind blows my plaid away)

Probably only get to sing two of them - but we will choose by what comes before us.

Megan shot down Pretty Polly. (Rule #1 of folk songs - if your name is Polly, never, ever have anything to do with a man named Willy - Polly dies every danged time.)

The Auld Grump - including a version where Polly's ghost shows up at the trial as a surprise witness for the defense. (I had my apron wrapped about me, and he took me for a swan....)

*EDIT* Maybe I can do Mr. Valentine's Dead?

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I distinctly remember the dances being more awkward, but that was just me.  I was a loner when it wasn't lunch time, so people left me alone.  Then again, growling at them if they're trying to be all "omg Valentine's!" works too ::P:

I didn't really start liking Valentines day until Grumpy.

The first Valentines date was a hilarious disaster, the kind you actually enjoy, even when it is happening.

He rented a room at a hot tub place that was so old there was an EIGHT TRACK PLAYER installed!

With music from that same era... The Bee Gees! Sean Cassidy! The Captain and Tennile!

He was trying for sexy, but got a comedy of errors instead.

It was the best Valentines date I had ever had!

I had never truly appreciated Muskrat Love until that moment! :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

51 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Someday, when I think Megan needs a laugh, I will take her ice skating.

Me, on ice skates... is a sight to behold. If you can see past your own hand while face palming.

I spend a good deal of the time horizontal, spinning in circles on my behind.

Not a thing of poise and grace on the ice, me. ::P:

The Auld Grump - I once managed to cut my forehead with my own ice skate - that I was wearing at the time. :lol: 

I got my finger run over. Still bear the scar. Pick those hands up off the ice pronto!

My brother stabbed his foot, with his own skate, doing a toe-wally. When he went to cross his leg over in mid-air, he didn't cross over far enough. The back of the blade stabbed through the thick leather tongue of the boot, into his foot, to the bone, and severed the nerve.

He landed like that, feet attached by 2" of steel blade.

• Sad 10

The first time my mother watched hockey with my dad (who loved the game) one of the goalies basically got his throat cut. :blink: Sports on ice with blades strapped to your feet seem... well... Yikes... 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

First real game since the four missing players came back - and one of them has gone from being quiet and reserved to a swaggering braggart - his character, not the player. Football seems to have gotten him over being a bit shy.

Was he the one STANDING ON THE CHAIR and shouting to get ready to board?

He certainly SEEMED shy and reserved! :devil:

He has also got to be one of the BIGGEST nine year old kids I have ever met.

• Haha 8

3 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Meanwhile, one of my hobbies (competitive overclocking) being even in the top 500 worldwide is considered a massive feat, doubly so if you can stay there (I'm happy enough being in the top 1k worldwide, and top 20 Canadians).  I've pushed as high as 327th worldwide, but it... Yeah, it's a full time job that doesn't make you money...  Doubly so if you don't have modern hardware, and you're holding through the thick and thin on stuff 8+ years old... 

I went to the Blood Bowl World Cup a couple of years ago. There were 912 competitors and I ended up ranked #153. I was not disappointed - I only had one loss out of nine rounds (in round 8) and spent 2/3 of the tournament leading my team. I also ended up the highest ranked Aus/NZ coach (equal points for win/draw/loss with two of them, but I had a better tiebreak score).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1