Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

First real game since the four missing players came back - and one of them has gone from being quiet and reserved to a swaggering braggart - his character, not the player. Football seems to have gotten him over being a bit shy.

Was he the one STANDING ON THE CHAIR and shouting to get ready to board?

He certainly SEEMED shy and reserved! :devil:

He has also got to be one of the BIGGEST nine year old kids I have ever met.

• Haha 8

3 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Meanwhile, one of my hobbies (competitive overclocking) being even in the top 500 worldwide is considered a massive feat, doubly so if you can stay there (I'm happy enough being in the top 1k worldwide, and top 20 Canadians).  I've pushed as high as 327th worldwide, but it... Yeah, it's a full time job that doesn't make you money...  Doubly so if you don't have modern hardware, and you're holding through the thick and thin on stuff 8+ years old... 

I went to the Blood Bowl World Cup a couple of years ago. There were 912 competitors and I ended up ranked #153. I was not disappointed - I only had one loss out of nine rounds (in round 8) and spent 2/3 of the tournament leading my team. I also ended up the highest ranked Aus/NZ coach (equal points for win/draw/loss with two of them, but I had a better tiebreak score).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sumbloke said:

I went to the Blood Bowl World Cup a couple of years ago. There were 912 competitors and I ended up ranked #153. I was not disappointed - I only had one loss out of nine rounds (in round 8) and spent 2/3 of the tournament leading my team. I also ended up the highest ranked Aus/NZ coach (equal points for win/draw/loss with two of them, but I had a better tiebreak score).

That's definitely something to be proud of...!  Getting that far up the rankings in a large Blood Bowl tournament isn't easy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Aryanun said:

I and my brother were competative ice skaters. We were training for the Olympics.

I quit. It sucks being in 5th/6th grade and having a full time job on top of school. I got tired of it, not getting to do things my friends at school were doing, competitions all the time...

And the backstabbing, knoblin gerfing hypocrits. Those judges aren't impartial. We were run out of one rink and had to move to another city to find a new coach because the other parents hated my brother and I. My brother won just about every competition he was in. I was too young for those same competitions, but won my fair share in my age groups.

What was worse were the coaches. My first one didn't want to teach me, instead trying to hold out for my brother. I was 5/6 years old at the time and she wanted her fame sooner. Plus I'm a girl, so... my first experience with misogany.

My last coach. Similar, but he preferred teaching boys. I had to beg to learn the axel. My brother and I started training at the same time, though he's 3 years older. He was already learning doubles and I couldn't get my coach to let me out of the kiddie waltz or toe-loops. :grr: And they wondered why I did other people's (more advanced) programmes instead of my own. Yes, I would watch other skaters, memorize their programmes, and then do them. Even the more complicated jumps I wasn't supposed to know.

It was cutthroat. And you kowtowed to the judges. If they didn't like you, it was an automatic point deduction.

I hate figure skating now.

Competitive Ice Skating has been Notorious for being heavily politicized at all levels, for as long back as I can remember [which is clear back to the era when Wide World of Sports on ABC {under the captaincy of Roone Arlidge} was the Standard of the World for sports reporting.  We're talking black and white film and early tape recordings here, not live coverage for most events.

During the Cold War Era, at the World Competitive Level, particularly the Olympics "sporting events" were warfare and propaganda carried on through the avatars and champions who were the world class athletes.  The politics of the judges was evident in most competitions, to the point where using modern high speed statistical analysis would quickly lead to the filing of protests were it to be so in-your-face blatant in todays competitions.  In this at least world competitions have progressed beyond this level of corruption, for the most part.

It is sad to hear of this sort of thing occurring not just at the amateur level but at the levels where basic skills should be the focus and any "competition" or competitive considerations should be far down the list of priorities.

What you relate is just another example of why we as a species can't really have Nice Things.

GEM

Grieving along with the families in Broward County.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Crowley said:

The first time my mother watched hockey with my dad (who loved the game) one of the goalies basically got his throat cut. :blink: Sports on ice with blades strapped to your feet seem... well... Yikes... 

You talking about Clint Malarchuk? Because it wasn't a "basically," it was a "did." Severed carotid artery and damaged jugular vein. Only reason he didn't die was because his team's trainer was a former Vietnam combat medic and wasn't squeamish about reaching into a man's throat to pinch an artery.

He's the reason that goalies these days wear that big throat guard.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Nothing has ever made me want to win an Olympic medal more than the cute cat things the South Koreans are giving the medalists.... :ik_oops:

Which prompted me to go looking for that specific plushy toy.

It's on amazon, without the hat or the paper flower for more than I care to pay.

In my looking about I discovered that there is a whole lot of officially licensed retro-olympic merchandise available for previous games but not much out there except for team clothing.  Haven't perused the offerings on the evil-bay yet.  Somehow I think anything that's offered there right now will have a trolling level price attached.

Gem

Grieving with the families in Broward County

• Like 2

Getting ready to take my wife out for a Vday dinner date. Normally today falls on a night I work so we don't do anything. It's been a few years. Nice to spend a hour or two of just me & her.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Missed us over here, just got a fair bit of cold rain. It's now partly cloudy, a bit breezy, and chilly.

In other news, had some awesome thrift store and Walmart scores today for my Rey (Star Wars) costume I need to have done by Friday morning. I'm not going for screen accuracy, just "good 'nuff for a weekend cosplay" so with a sorta diamond-patterned dress I discovered at Ross which I'll be hacking apart shortly, plus the PERFECT boots I randomly found at Walmart, plus several yards of drapey gauzey fabric that a friend just finished helping me dye gray, and I'm like 90% of the way there! I already have gray leggings which will do nicely, and for her belts and wrist bracer thingy and arm wraps, I will just reuse the ones I already made for Force Awakens version of her costume two years ago.

But the most important thing is the part I wheedled MrBoot into letting me get for myself for Christmas:

il_570xN.1388658123_3zqk.jpg

:bday:

Note: This is not an actual picture of my lightsaber, lol. Mine isn't quite this fancy looking, nor does it have sound effects, but it does light up when I push the button (though it has red and green as well, so I need to cycle through it) and it's short enough it won't get in my way at the con. Plus it was only $50, which is the best part of all. ::D:

...Now I just need to figure out how to attach the thing to my belt, since it doesn't really have anything that would stop it sliding out of a scabbard/holster. Hrm.

Starting to get pretty excited about this weekend, not gonna lie. :bday: 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

I thought that they were hung from the belt with a lanyard loop(On the weapon) and a snap link thing like on the Reapercon Badge holder????

the pic has a lanyard loop on the bottom....

Edited by knarthex
  • Like 4

Alright... Flight to alaska begins. Leaving san Jose with a layover in seattle.

• Like 12

7 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

How about some watermelon?

tumblr_mlo9pchprn1rwcfrqo4_1280.jpg

Those things can be vicious if they get cornered, y'know.

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

The first time my mother watched hockey with my dad (who loved the game) one of the goalies basically got his throat cut. :blink: Sports on ice with blades strapped to your feet seem... well... Yikes... 

Well, you know what they say: blood makes the grass grow....hmmm, that doesn't really seem to make sense here....

Give blood, play Rugby...hmmm, wrong sport...

There's a saying about blood that's right on the tip of my tongue....

36 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I think I may have coughed up a lung. @Froggy the Great, I'm going to need you to mod me another one.

Feel better soon, bud!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Blood

for the

Blood God!

maybe?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, pcktlnt said:

Waves towards SeaTac airport!  ^_^ 

Hope you see some Northern Lights!

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, knarthex said:
13 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Blood

for the

Blood God!

maybe?

That's the one!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, pcktlnt said:

Hope you have a good flight.

• Like 4