Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

On 2/20/2018 at 1:46 PM, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I personally don't care for it - it's too long for my tastes, and I can usually predict who wins before we get even halfway through. But Mr. Mouse loves it. You just have to have the right group (one that is willing to sit down and play a board game for 8-15 hours). 

8-15 hours?? You haven't lived till you pass out at the table 72 hours into a game of Risk and wake up with a cannon up your nose. ::P:

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

8 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Deals at Loblaws (aka Superstore) that good eh? :P

As for it being a lot of snow, guessing you're on the coast?  You can still see pavement, us prairie folk use the words "eh, not that much" when it's 3-4" of snow ^_^

Yeah. Two weeks ago I was digging us out from somewhere around fourteen inches of snow. When two or three more inches fell overnight I didn’t even bother reshoveling.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

You mean, people actually bother shoveling 2 or 3" of snow?

Not me. Pfft.

(edit. Well, okay, the front walk. But that’s because civic responsibility.)

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 4

Same here.  Add to that, if it gets walked on too much, it compacts into ice which then turns it into a slip hazard.

10 hours ago, Sophie was taken said:

Hello, earworm.

On a related note, know what this is?

E12937D3-AE28-49E2-AC13-CA0C511616B3.thumb.jpeg.78e74b586d618ebef3186d431eed6633.jpeg

The mostly dead carcass of a brain weasel.

YAY!!!!

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

@WhiteWulfe is correct about patience when driving in ice/snow. Be careful and slow going around corners. Don't stomp on the accelerator. That's sort of thing. I don't have a lot of practice driving in snow either (more than you, because I gotta get myself to work). Just treat it like bad rain conditions and drive defensively. If others don't like how slow you are, they can go around you. Better slow and safe than fast and dead. I mean, unless you owe debts to certain unsavory folks. :lol:

I like watching people fly by me on the highway only to see them in a ditch on the side of the road a few miles down the road. I mostly refrain from pointing and laughing.

Mostly.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Zink said:

Heard today that a friend of mine got a $300 fine last week because he looked at his phone while sitting at a red light.

They're pretty strict about it, that's for sure.  Sad part is when the distracted driving laws came out, for the first week or so a LOT of people went on this mad rush to pick up hands free devices...  Then a week later, it seemed people realized they didn't like having to keep a bunch of extra things charged and went back to holding their phones...  Which of course is a fine and demerits...

And yup, just picking the thing up and looking at who might have texted you can cost, as your friend found out.  So many people at work wonder why I don't answer my phone and I usually reply "because I'd rather spend the $278 fine on hobbies, and I've never gotten demerits..  And I plan on keeping it that way"

3 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

The best way is actually to stay out of it, where that is an option.

But we had to get Housemate Thorne from the airport (which was a zoo), so .. out we went. I drove in. Mr. Thorne drove back.

Did I mention that this grown-pants adult right here, this one typing right now, had never driven in snow before? Period? Yah. Now I have. Some of the major highway was clear. Most of it was .. not. And the back highways? Hah. Hah. Hah.... hah. *thump* Road? What road?

I don't want to do that again. Mr. Thorne - who was taught to handle this frozen crap over in Germany - says I did fine.

We're still alive, I didn't flip the car into a ditch and I don't /think/ I have any more white hairs than I did when I went in, so ... I guess I must have.

We were only supposed to get an inch or so. It's ankle deep out there, and I'm betting it'll be knee deep by morning. I'll have to kick a path to the water clear for the chooks...

True enough, staying at home if you don't have to drive in it is definitely the best option.  Your first time in the snow is always an interesting experience, to say the least.

2 hours ago, redambrosia said:

@WhiteWulfe is correct about patience when driving in ice/snow. Be careful and slow going around corners. Don't stomp on the accelerator. That's sort of thing. I don't have a lot of practice driving in snow either (more than you, because I gotta get myself to work). Just treat it like bad rain conditions and drive defensively. If others don't like how slow you are, they can go around you. Better slow and safe than fast and dead. I mean, unless you owe debts to certain unsavory folks. :lol:

Bad rain is a good way of looking at it...  I'd say it's this weird combination of driving on rain and in icy conditions, with a side of "traction control has no idea what to do so throws a childish fit"

32 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

Over here, you have 48 hours after the snowstorm started to shovel your walkways before fines start being handed out.  Snowblowers are quite popular for clearing walkways for some reason ^_^

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Gadgetman! said:

That's when I run back and forth across the drive pushing the snow out of the way... don't like the ice buildup from letting it get packed..

Edited by eldamir
I hate my phone and its autocorrect
  • Like 8

It's much too early to be awake for me and I've been up about an hour now. It is nice having some quiet time with Husband, who is also awake, though. It snowed a bunch overnight. Have not had the want to go out and see how much we got, I'm sure I will be informed when Husband gets home from his doctor's appointment and paying bills. 

• Like 3

I have Friday off.

Need to run a few errands, like bringing tax papers to the accountant, making a hospital appointment.

Get groceries etc...

But then it's hobby time!

Maybe I can finally finish my Grenadier Undead Rhino with Bones Egyptian Priestess...

And maybe even more...

• Like 4

8 hours ago, sumbloke said:

I hope noone expects you to not eat jelly beans during Lent...

8 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Just as long as they aren't the Bacon Flavored ones.  :rolleyes:

GEM

Seeing as I don't observe Lent I think I am safe. I'll have your share of the bacon if you wish. :lol:

• Like 3

So, one of the fun details from Fallout Shelter is the corny pick-up lines the dwellers use in each other. I think I've just gotten the best one: "Is that jumpsuit felt? Would you like it to be?"

:lol::lol::lol: 

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

2 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

So, one of the fun details from Fallout Shelter is the corny pick-up lines the dwellers use in each other. I think I've just gotten the best one: "Is that jumpsuit felt? Would you like it to be?"

:lol::lol::lol: 

I LOVE Fallout Shelter. The pick up lines are the best, second would be the random stuff they say to each other on quests. I was actually just playing a few minutes ago.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

It is Lent. 

As an Episcopalian, I [we] am/are supposed to be observing certain dietary proscriptions.

I'm not just eating meat but actual Bacon on a Wednesday, during Lent.

I had Bacon for lunch as well.

Well, it was in the Episcopal Church that I first encountered actual grace.  I think you'll be fine.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SparrowMarie said:

I LOVE Fallout Shelter. The pick up lines are the best, second would be the random stuff they say to each other on quests. I was actually just playing a few minutes ago.

Me too ^_^ I've got two vaults, one is full, the other is small still. Fallout shelter and Love Nikki are the two games I play to kill time at work.

• Like 3

Just now, redambrosia said:

Me too ^_^ I've got two vaults, one is full, the other is small still. Fallout shelter and Love Nikki are the two games I play to kill time at work.

Oh yeah, I forgot about my second vault. Thanks! I play on steam because my phone doesn't like to cooperate enough to play Fallout Shelter on it.

• Like 3