Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

3 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I have Friday off.

Need to run a few errands, like bringing tax papers to the accountant, making a hospital appointment.

Get groceries etc...

But then it's hobby time!

Maybe I can finally finish my Grenadier Undead Rhino with Bones Egyptian Priestess...

And maybe even more...

Much envy about your Friday being off...  Says the fox who had Monday off... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh corporate bureaucracy! You so cra-cra! Second shipment of a vendor’s system was worrying the supplier, so they asked me to work a later delivery. Our buyer says he can’t do that... because both units have already been delivered. Uh huh. Ya don’t say.

I suppose it’s a case where the paperwork is defining reality now. Think I’ll just have that expensive magical already-delivered system just show up at my desk in the new future.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

The 1967 version with Harris.

I blame Pingo's daughter - she used one of the songs in the closing credits, which led me to pulling out the DVD.

I have been banned from singing anything from Camelot when Jon and Julie bring over their karaoke machine - along with Man of La Mancha and Sweeney Todd. (I used to hate karaoke - but sang to win. Megan has gotten me past both of those issues. :wub:)

I also liked the older Arthur better than the younger.

The Auld Grump - oh, good, Firefox has finished downloading.

You just need to switch repertoire.

repeat after me...

I am the very model of a modern Major-General,
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical;
I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical,
I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news,
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

*sigh* I might need a new laptop. Mine has started making this awful grinding noise off and on. I found a new one for slightly more than what we were going to spend on Bones with our tax return buuut that might now happen now. <_<

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Thes Hunter said:

Yeah. I’m using the “Thanks” throphies as “winning” trophies. 

Yeah, I do the same thing. Most of the time it's a little trophy, occasionally it's an actual thank you. 

Hubby and I are gonna have to go shopping today, but hopefully after that we won't need to go out anytime this weekend. Aside from Sunday, when we go see the Dark Crystal in theater ^_^ 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Okay, brides taxes are done. That was easy. Especially as compared to mine... Ah well. Overall we're getting refunds!

On to study time!

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

You mean, people actually bother shoveling 2 or 3" of snow?

At this house I have to. There's a decent slope to our driveway and if I don't clean it after every little puff of snow it packs into ice and we can't get into the garage. It doesn't help that the mini van has summer tires. The pickup can usually make it and it's 4x4 for when it's extra slippery. I'm used to driving in all kinds of conditions with all kinds of tires but the wife isn't. She doesn't like driving uphill into the garage at the speeds necessary. And some days it's just not possible. It's a pain when we do drive in and out a couple times and then I have to go with a steel bar and chip the ice off. Much easier to clear the little bit of snow before it's packed.

• Like 3

Rain, rain. Too quickly gone away.

Srsly wet out now tho. Too bad my truck's not running. Could do some hella mudding in the field out front.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Come to Norway!

But... 

We also have mandatory 'slippery road' driving courses.

My suggestion is to get hold of a set of snow chains to keep in the car, or if those aren't legal where you live, a set of AutoSocks(that's a brand name. Get that, not a copy) to use on slippery roads.

Autosocks, eh? I'll have to run that by Mr. Thorne; he might be interested. If I can find the fassenfrassen things. I also am starting to want one of those partial covers that spares you scraping windshields....

I don't think we actually own a set of chains; we generally get by on good tires and one driver with experience....

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

@WhiteWulfe is correct about patience when driving in ice/snow. Be careful and slow going around corners. Don't stomp on the accelerator. That's sort of thing. I don't have a lot of practice driving in snow either (more than you, because I gotta get myself to work). Just treat it like bad rain conditions and drive defensively. If others don't like how slow you are, they can go around you. Better slow and safe than fast and dead. I mean, unless you owe debts to certain unsavory folks. :lol:

My general philosophy up until last night was 'do nothing suddenly'. This largely held out as effective.

... I don't use the brakes any more than I have to even in good conditions.

5 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

True enough, staying at home if you don't have to drive in it is definitely the best option.  Your first time in the snow is always an interesting experience, to say the least.

Bad rain is a good way of looking at it...  I'd say it's this weird combination of driving on rain and in icy conditions, with a side of "traction control has no idea what to do so throws a childish fit"

Over here, you have 48 hours after the snowstorm started to shovel your walkways before fines start being handed out.  Snowblowers are quite popular for clearing walkways for some reason ^_^

Shovel..? Hah. We don't, although I'm pretty sure we do own a shovel. The chickens only care about being able to get to their water, and I have a System for that - it doesn't freeze, they have free access, and all I have to do is check on it now and again.

Driving out last night was definitely an ... interesting experience. Suspect it won't be the last, but.. I can hope!

Thanks for all the advice; it helps! ^^

• Like 7

Don't do anything suddenly is a good philosophy generally.  Remember, Slow is steady, steady is fast. 

Okay, back to studying... 

*sets timer to 25 minutes....

And.... GO!

• Like 7

Just in case anyone here ever suddenly thought to themselves, in a flash of enlightenment, "Y'know, what I really, really need in my life right now are miniatures based on the band GWAR..."

Demonblade Games made them.   :blink:

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

MY Kingdom for a purple, retractable highlighter... I have bought pack after pack looking for one and even though it looks purple it is not... it is a slightly darker pink. 

Alas, I must still use the old pen and cap fat highlighter. ::(: 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Just in case anyone here ever suddenly thought to themselves, in a flash of enlightenment, "Y'know, what I really, really need in my life right now are miniatures based on the band GWAR..."

Demonblade Games made them.   :blink:

That's amazing, and now I want them all!! It's like a complete mordheim/frostgrave band!!

Okay, back to studying... 

• Like 3