Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

In case anybody might be interested who hasn't already seen it, I have thread going in the General Fantasy forum...

Jack's ID Project

I've been tasked with curating a collection of miniatures, and I thought, aside from getting help identifying some of them, that perhaps some of the newer folks might enjoy a chance to look at some of the older minis - taking a walking tour through the early and middle years of our hobby.

Quite a number of the miniatures in the thread I've created are either still regularly showing up on EvilBay or are still in production through companies like Iron Wind Metals or Mirliton who purchased the molds and licenses from the older companies.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Unruly said:

That's Nazareth - Hair of the Dog. But I had to look it up, because I was pretty sure that it wasn't right. Uriah Heep does have a song called Son of a B, but it's nothing like the other.

ooopsie...

LIGHT THE FIRES. SOUND THE HORNS.  LET SLIP THE DOGS OF WAR.

Let the fortress of the heart fall from within.

I bored dawg.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Marvin said:

LIGHT THE FIRES. SOUND THE HORNS.  LET SLIP THE DOGS OF WAR.

Let the fortress of the heart fall from within.

I bored dawg.

Watch Gundam Wing. Be confused by an anime that opens and closes with love songs, then is full of bishy child soldiers who pilot machines of destruction to wage a guerrilla(and often terroristic) war. Be astounded by the fact that the strong, silent, bishy child soldier tells a bunch of people that he's going to kill them, but he never does even though he has a million chances.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Today has been an epoxy day.  Poured some epoxy resin to make water for a lady pirate and assembled a metal Reptus raptor with a bunch more epoxy.  If I'm really productive I'll get the tentacles sculpted onto my raptor.  The Savage Tide rises.  :;,;:

And yes, I'm going to start my Savage Tide thread once the resin on my pirate cures.  She might even get a show-off thread of her own.  ^_^ 

• Like 8

Today has been productive. I've gotten a lot of work done on Cthulhu and he's coming together nicely. He has lots of suckers on his tentacles and I'll be darned if I don't paint them all. Even if you aren't going to see them at all.

• Like 8

As an artist, this just pisses me off. It's one thing to be displeased with an art commission (and to take it up with the publisher and artist), it's another to hold a public humiliation contest.

Completely unprofessional.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, djizomdjinn said:

As an artist, this just pisses me off. It's one thing to be displeased with an art commission (and to take it up with the publisher and artist), it's another to hold a public humiliation contest.

Completely unprofessional.

I have presided over more than one slideshow of bad cover art at sci fi conventions.

One thing I have made absolutely clear each time is that so many things can go wrong and produce a bad cover. Anyone can have a bad day. Good artists can make bad covers. Good artists can get bad art direction. Deadlines can blow past good intentions.  Budgets can get squeezed.

There are artists who are absolute sweethearts irl, but atrocious on the covers (Darrell K. Sweet comes to mind).

The last reminds me of another important point - bad art does not necessarily negatively impact sales.

Ursula LeGuin reportedly screamed when she saw the cover of the first edition of “A Wizard of Earthsea.”

She did not make a public example of the artist.

• Like 10

I did some more work on my Shenlong Gundam model. He's about 2/3 of the way through assembly now. Upper torso and arms are complete and the legs are half done. Lower torso, head, and weapons are still completely untouched.

• Like 6

Authors are generally at the publisher's mercy with cover art. He may've been over it with them already. Just venting a little in his powerlessness.

To be honest tho, unless the poll had just some terribly effed up options that's not all that terrible a dragging or anything.

To be more honest still, that cover is no worse an affront to art than Goodkind's writing is to literature.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I'm tired. I just woke up like 5 hours ago, though. But I don't want to drink anything caffeinated because I want to go to sleep in just a few hours so that I can wake up early tomorrow in order to go hit people. But I don't know if I really want to go hit people or if I just want to stay at home and be lazy. Hitting people is exhausting work, but it's also fun. Except I don't feel like I deserve fun right now. But going there would also give me a reason to stop at my mom's house and steal her sewing machine, and to go to the hardware store. But that means I have to do things. I don't want to do things...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Drow eyes: generally red in darkness, various colors in light, and if you're the specialest drow of all:

drizzt_chibi_by_black3-d2d8ecw.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1