Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

21 minutes ago, Sophie was taken said:

What color are drow eyes?

In the Forgotten Realms books, usually red?

Drizzt famously has purple eyes.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Edited by djizomdjinn
  • Like 5

You think we don't know what you're singin' about when you sing about holdin' hands? You know who's got hands? The Devil! And he uses 'em for holdin'!

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Sophie was taken said:

I paint ‘em red.

• Like 4

Mention of green and blue has also come up in various places. Dual-wielding rangers, of course ... well. Purple.

.. none of the drow in my character folder have purple eyes. Green, or amber...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sophie was taken said:

Well...

mine are hazel...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, Sophie was taken said:

Since the only good drow is a dead drow, sort of a pale clouded milky color, lol...  ::D:

Paint-wise, I usually use a vivid shade of blue, red or purple. Although orange is nice as well.

EDIT: How the hell did it get to be 11:30?!?! :wacko:

I need to stop writing articulate and well-thought-out posts on forums.  Being wise is a major time sink.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 6
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

To be more honest still, that cover is no worse an affront to art than Goodkind's writing is to literature.

Absolutely, quintessentially, pure, triple-distilled this.

Those by-the-numbers pictures belong on chocolate boxes. Bee-keepers prevents me from mentioning the right place for Goodkind's books.

Edited by paintybeard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Chick that posted on my favorite old writing-related boards of yesteryear absolutely loathed Goodkind. I'd only ever read Wizard's First Rule, years before when I was young and unread and pretty easy to please, and thought it was okay but unremarkable. Wew lad, she brought me around. Every so often she'd unleash a scathing tirade about one of his shortcomings or another, and it was always pure fire. But it'd be instructive, too, for whatever writing topic had set her off on it. Perfect blend of fact and fury.

Man, I miss that sort of keen criticism. Good times.

ETA: The TV series was fun though.

• Like 4

Old Spice commercials are so weird.

6 hours ago, Pingo said:

... And frankly, that cover is nowhere near awful.

These. These are awful: http://www.goodshowsir.co.uk/

The funny this is, it was the bizarre covers that got me interested in sci-fi. I guess teenaged me figured the book had to be good if they were high enough to put that weird stuff on the front :lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

First rule is the one I blundered into too. When stuck on ship with nothing else to read I'll try nearly anything. Seriously considered dropping this one over the side after a few chapters.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Pingo said:

... And frankly, that cover is nowhere near awful.

These. These are awful: http://www.goodshowsir.co.uk/

The 70s called they want their cover are back.  There was a time when that was the popular form of cover art and only the weird and cheap authors went for something tasteful.

• Like 3

Wow.

Generally I think our hobby is made up of great people but every now and then I see folks do something that just makes me want to cringe.

Over on the Reaper Miniatures discussion group on Facebook a Reaper customer asked a question about free minis he received with his $130 order.

Now granted his tone was slightly snarky, but I believe he had a valid question. I'm going to quote it below:

"Dear Reaper.  I just ordered 20 miniatures from your site worth about 130 bucks.  Just got an email confirming the order, and I'm getting THREE Baran Blacktrees.  Whose promotional idea was it to give customers THREE copies of the same mini?  Baran is a cool mini, but I dont need three of him.  How about if you guys surprise me with two other Dungeon Dwellers and a SINGLE Baran?   Thanx"

Like I said. Slightly snarky and sounds like he's unfamiliar with the way Reaper runs their monthly promotions.

But what made me cringe wasn't his question. It was the way most of the hobbyists who replied reacted.

There was a lot of name calling.

Accusations of entitlement.

Mean spirited unhelpful sarcasm.

Basically a lot of hostility towards someone who just spent a fair chunk of change as a Reaper customer.

Sadly very few of the people who posted  tried to be helpful or informative.

Honestly. If I had that kind of a reaction to a question I asked from a discussion group, that would've been the last time I dealt with that group as well the company that those folks "supported".

• Sad 7

I don’t Facebook. I have heard unpleasant things about the place.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Pingo said:

I don’t Facebook. I have heard unpleasant things about the place.

Facebook works in complex and mysterious ways, but it is a useful tool to keep in touch with people and organizations and to keep informed about events.

Unfortunately it is also not moderated all that well.

• Like 5