Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

28 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

The answer is don't wear any while painting!

Grump beat me to it.

You'd almost think I had said that to him or something.

• Haha 7

29 minutes ago, pcktlnt said:

Could you provide your list of choices. I'm interested in seeing math/science based games for my nieces.

It's now narrowed down to three. Dragonwood is supposed to be mathy so we're gonna pick that up since that's pretty inexpensive. We're also debating between Stuffed Fables(to try and get elder niece to want to read/use imagination more, common core destroyed this for her but that's for the bees) and Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle since they're really into Harry Potter. I was recommended games by genius games which all seem to be science themed. A lot of P&P games were recommended since they involve some math. Tribulation and Take it easy! were also recommended for some multiplication.

• Like 6

I just realized that tonight's dinner is literally right around the corner from the Compleat Strategist. I guess I'm gonna have to leave a little early and stop in before dinner!

Edited by Crowley
  • Like 5

W00t w00t, somebody just picked up my "Elf" poem. It's the first to fall of the poems dedicated to my OG D&D party members. Kinda stoked.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

I think it might work (the bench might be too tall, though). I've used 1/35th accessories (backpacks and such) on GW figures, and it didn't look too 'off'.

Definitely seek more opinions, though.

Sure you do! Go ahead, you know you want to.::D:

We'll see.  Would be an easier sell if it were just a one off idea, because then I wouldn't have to come up with other things to go with it... 

I'd have to check scale though, because I dunno, Kaladrax seems like a hefty dragon to pick up to put a relatively small bone minotaur on :p

1 hour ago, PaganMegan said:

The answer is don't wear any while painting!

Totally agree with this ultra wise saying..   I've pretty much never had the issue of splurting paint onto pants.  Pants are evil! Pants are restrictive! 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Haha 6

Emergency garb repairs completed. Hopefully. I had to reattach a sleeve on one of the tunics, and I was doing it without undoing all the other side seams. So I was sewing a tube into a circle and now I'm hoping that I didn't mess up somewhere.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

Pg. 800

So SIL is finally willing to let our nieces play some board games that are a little higher in complexity now that they're older (6 and 10). We want a co-op game that might support more than 4 players that is science, math, or history related (but not a war game). The 6 y.o. is doing the same math the 10 y.o. is so I'm not worried about trying to find a math-y game that is too heavy as long at it's age appropriate. The 10 y.o. is interested in science so something like that would probably keep her interest. I'm not sure what kind of history would be age appropriate for them or what they might even be interested in.

If we can't find a good educational game I've been pushing for Stuffed Fables because, well, I want it too. I'm overwhelmed by choices of games for kids on BGG but also can't really find a good something that ticks one or more of those boxes. Any suggestions?

Khet, an ancient game from Egypt about reflecting light around obstacles. Modern version uses lasers and light sensitive targets, but used to use sunlight. It will teach an instinctual understanding of geometry and optics. 

Bonus is that it is/has been available at Target and other big box retailers. 

Edited by FaekiasDracon
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, redambrosia said:

If I put someone else's name in, can they be sent to the sun? :devil: 

And how much does it cost? I have 2 people that I'd definitely be willing to buy tickets for. They're so lovable I'm sure if I ask around I can get lots of others to contribute too.

I is tired. Got to sleep sometime after 1 am, got up at 6 am, drove 2.5 hours for a 10 minute doctor's appointment for my mom, shopped for a couple hours in the city and another 2.5 hours home. Mom's got a tiny spot of skin cancer on her cheek that they'll remove in April. Occupational hazard around here. A lot of seniors I know have it because of years of working outside. Actually went to a game store because it was right beside her doctor's office. They didn't have much for minis except for a small selection of GW so I came home empty handed.

May or may not have bought a swather that I need badly. I won the online auction this afternoon for way less than what it's worth but it was also under the reserve price. So now I'm waiting for the auction company to let me know if the seller will accept my offer or not. It was a headache to get things set up for this at the last minute and I was excited to find out I got it so cheap and then disappointed to found out I might not get it. Hate not knowing which it is but they'll inform me in the next couple of days.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Now THAT is old-school. ::D:

That ain't old school.

This is old school! -

While this is darned near prehistoric -

wump.png

I had to type that program, one line at a time, into a Sol-20 computer, back in the '70s, just to play.... And then save to the tape drive....

The Auld Grump

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Crocodile bites are extremely infectious too.

But if you're bitten by a croc that's probably not your biggest problem.

Some warn of the gleaming teeth.

Some warn of the hardened scale.

Some warn of the sharpened claw.

Some warn of the thrashing tail.

But the wisest men, who know the Nile,

Warn of the whole damned crocodile.

The Auld Grump

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PaganMegan said:

You've been talking to Grammum again, haven't you? :lol:

I knew the jokes about the actress and the bishop long before meeting your grandmum.

But I have been more willing to tell them, yes.... ::P: 

The Auld Grump

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Baggage claim is a giant PITA. So I make absolutely certain that whatever I bring with me will fit into a bag that goes in the plane in my hands. If there's no overhead, where am I gonna put it?

But where do you put your metal weapons????

2 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

How would 1/35th scale furniture look with Reaper minis?

I've found a resin workbench with tools and shelves that would look good in a diorama, but it's gotta be the right size for $10.99...

I believe that 28mm is closest to 1/48 scale....

But as CW said, investigate...

49 minutes ago, Crowley said:

I just realized that tonight's dinner is literally right around the corner from the Compleat Strategist. I guess I'm gonna have to leave a little early and stop in before dinner!

Say hi to everyone from Scooter!

(That's my nickname there, from when I would ride my battery powered scooter there  from work.....)

And what eatery are you going to?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SparrowMarie said:

I think we've narrowed it down to 5 games. Most of them involve math but are all co-op. If SIL will allow a straight up RPG we've got one picked out. Otherwise we've got some fun looking games picked that we think both of them (and others) would be able to enjoy. 

My kids (8 & 10) like Flashpoint, but it's more about the co-op and not super sciency.  Pandemic is supposed to be similar, it would have some science elements.  We always ignore age guidelines, though, so it can depend on the kids.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, knarthex said:

But where do you put your metal weapons????

I believe that 28mm is closest to 1/48 scale....

But as CW said, investigate...

trimmed

Same place as the sword swallower, except you insert them from the other end of the tube.

1/48th scale is roughly 6.5mm = 1 foot.

GEM

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Eh, as interesting as it is, I don't think I'm gonna waste the money on it - it's supposed to be a background element in a diorama, and it'd just make the background too busy...

s-l500.jpg

• Like 9