Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

18 hours ago, Tripleh5133 said:

When your obnoxious coworker is gone for a week, it's time to have a little fun.:devil::ph34r:15753.thumb.jpeg.747cb4ad5076d77ddc60aaba854e9f10.jpeg15754.thumb.jpeg.43dc5a934a5ccc107cc99d1496467a39.jpeg5aa32e20090f1_20180309_1306121.thumb.jpg.05c234b2979eae7cade43058ec304496.jpg5aa32e28d5a7b_20180309_1306151.thumb.jpg.72692119b5169c2d5c8136df54a8bec8.jpg

Unfortunately, we couldn't acquire enough paper to do the entire desk.

Next time, wrap every single thing in the office in tinfoil. :devil:

18 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Ya know, with about ten rolls of duck tape you could tape the desk to the ceiling....

This sounds like data was acquired through experimental research. :ph34r:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Flit said:

It has to be a dry eraseable battle mat.

3 hours ago, Flit said:

I just found an eraseable battle mat  on line for Mr Flit that has squares on one side and hexes on the other and comes with two dry erase markers. So the issue of not having a mat at the right place and time should be solved.

I was going to say that once in days of yore I made my own with some thick, poster-sized paper that I drew lines on and then got laminated, but it sounds like you found one.  One of our gaming friends invested in an oversized (easel sized) pad of 1" graph paper that he picked up from an office supply store.  Which was a tad small most of the time, but it did have the advantage of letting you keep every map you'd ever drawn in case you went back somewhere again.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Flit said:

I was very pleasantly surprised by paizo's flip mats. Wet erase, dry erase and even sharpie comes off of them, they fold flat to get packed in a bag and it's really hard to stain them. Forgot to erase for a month or so once and it cleared right up with a little Windex. The only one we have managed to ruin accidentally got spritzed with dullcoat. 

• Like 5

I don't care for their flip mats as much, just design-wise, but I love their map packs. Never have used markers on them though.

I laminated some big sheets of gridded paper, at different sizes, for my blank-mat needs. I was right pleased with the endeavor.

ETA though I suppose you're talking the blank Paizo flip mat. I'm sure it's quite serviceable. Good to know they erase that well to be sure.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, SparrowMarie said:

Thanks much! I'd planned on priming it in thinned down blue liner. Thanks for the tips about the GS too. I'll have to look around for my sculpting tools but I think that it's doable, just very time consuming, especially since I've never sculpted anything that small with tools.

Use magnification. And go slow. Once you get the process down it gets faster, but make sure you take your time in the beginning.

Also, there's a few tutorials out there on Youtube for sculpting scales.

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

This sounds like data was acquired through experimental research. :ph34r:

Sadly, I have a great deal of first-hand knowledge of the physical properties of both cardboard and duct tape due to having worked as a machine operator...  :rolleyes:

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

$%**$%&!!!!

Five freaking hours I've been waiting for Windows to update itself, and what happens? The update assistant crashes :angry:

Never again, I'm now off to Google how to turn off the automatic updates.

• Sad 8

I've been making pretty good progress on my vardo today. I've decided to paint it with blue sides, with a green roof and yellow accents. It's got really nice details on it.

IMG_1578.thumb.JPG.ace3f1dfe1251a1c5acf0a1c73ddd1ae.JPG

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 15

10 hours ago, Flit said:

one word for you to google

MEGAMAT!

8 hours ago, Crowley said:

Sadly I didn't realize that in the city that never sleeps, The Compleat Strategist closes at 6.  <_<

They are open til 8pm Thursdays....

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Flit said:

The clear contact paper might work in a pinch.

Available at Bed-Bath-and Beyond or similar and at Wally World.

While not as heavy gauge as a regular vinyl mat it has the advantages of being both relatively inexpensive and available nearly everywhere.

GEM

44 minutes ago, aku-chan said:

$%**$%&!!!!

Five freaking hours I've been waiting for Windows to update itself, and what happens? The update assistant crashes :angry:

Never again, I'm now off to Google how to turn off the automatic updates.

Step One:

Uninstall Windows

Step Two:

Install Linux from removable media

Step Three:

Install G-Parted

Step Four:

Remove Windows Partition and reallocate space on Hard Drive

GEM

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, knarthex said:

They are open til 8pm Thursdays....

Thanks... that's super helpful.  

Went to an art show today: Art on Paper. It was very very cool!! Then went for a very late lunch in Chinatown. Now, Guardians of the Galaxy!!

• Like 5

Getting one's area organized is boring.  I'd so rather be doing... Probably one of two dozen other things, but...  At the same time, I'll FINALLY have all of the paints in one area, this and that on another, etc...

...Oh, and a good portion of the floor around my desk back too.  That'll definitely be worth it.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, redambrosia said:

I've been making pretty good progress on my vardo today. I've decided to paint it with blue sides, with a green roof and yellow accents. It's got really nice details on it.

Hide contents

IMG_1578.thumb.JPG.ace3f1dfe1251a1c5acf0a1c73ddd1ae.JPG

Gypsy wagon!

• Like 7

On 3/9/2018 at 6:14 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

While this is darned near prehistoric -

wump.png

I had to type that program, one line at a time, into a Sol-20 computer, back in the '70s, just to play.... And then save to the tape drive....

The Auld Grump

Squashed dodecahedra are the best!  My dad programmed a background graphical map for that game on a Sony SMC-70 running CP/M, ca. 1985.

"A hollow voice says 'PLUGH'"

Edited by Froggy the Great
  • Like 5

Accidentally left the stove on. -_-

I'm lucky that a) I have an electric stove and b) I wasn't doing anything other than boiling water on it.

I think the pot is ruined though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

20 minutes ago, Froggy the Great said:

Squashed dodecahedra are the best!  My dad programmed a background graphical map for that game on a Sony SMC-70 running CP/M, ca. 1985.

"A hollow voice says 'PLUGH'"

Hello, Sailor.

• Like 2