Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

26 minutes ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Awesome Wife has a fix for this (most of the time).  Find some sort of treat that the animal likes.  Put it in a can that rattles.  Rattle the can every time you give the critter a treat.  If the critter ever gets out, rattle the can and it should come running.  That's what we do for our rabbit.  We let it out on the fenced in deck during nice weather, but are afraid that someone will leave one of the gates open.  The rabbit loves dried apricot (it's like crack to him), so a shake of the jar it's in brings him running.

I tried this with his treats that he likes and with wet cat food. Didn't work, probably because he was fed not long before he got out. He hasn't had enough time to get really hungry yet. He is probably cold though. Waiting for daylight to go look for him, it will be around his  breakfast time  too.

• Sad 4

Escapee kitty just scratched on the front door to be let in. He was greeted by the dog and the other cat. They both sniffed him over and the dog is keeping an eye on him. Except for being a bit cold and hungry, he seems to be fine. Doggie thinks she is the Cat Police and a great Cat Herder. The cats let her think that she is.

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I was going to counter with Rather Good's Viking Kittens, but YouTube seems to have decided that it would be so much better without that pesky Immigrant Song playing.... So, here's a version I can't check, because the WiFi at work blocks a lot of strange things....

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/vikingkittens

The Auld Grump

I was quite upset about that, too.

5 hours ago, Flit said:

Had a really good superheros game this afternoon-evening. Much fun was had by all and no one was seriously injured by the Gigantapithicus(s). Then ate at IHOP for the second day in a row. I usually don't go there more than a few times a year.

Cool!

1 minute ago, Flit said:

Escapee kitty just scratched on the front door to be let in. He was greeted by the dog and the other cat. They both sniffed him over and the dog is keeping an eye on him. Except for being a bit cold and hungry, he seems to be fine. Doggie thinks she is the Cat Police and a great Cat Herder. The cats let her think that she is.

I'm glad to hear it.::):

Today is supposed to be a slow/easy day at work.

I suspect a trap.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Today is supposed to be a slow/easy day at work.

I suspect a trap.

Hope you're able to avoid it!

Okay, coffee finished. Time to do the dishes, and then head off for my FIRST DAY at the new job!!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Still coughing...stupid cold/flu/alien bacteria..

Almost lunchtime..

I think I'm going to devour some meat..

Did somebody say meat? 

20180311_152801.thumb.jpg.396e427c01f35d089a06dc62ddd01738.jpg

Mmm, brisket, from a local restaurant called.... Meat.  Hubby had pulled chicken. 

• Like 7

It is cold. Not as cold as at home, where it's snowing, but 40 degrees in a tent and sleeping bag is much worse than 30 degrees in a house with heat. I don't want to get up, but I really need to use the bathroom...

On Thursday night a bunch of us have made plans to go to a local barbecue place. I'm gonna try crawfish for the first time. One of my friends said they weren't the best he'd had, since he went there on Saturday, but he still ate 5lbs of them on his own. Also, we're going to be all going there in garb. Because why not?

• Like 10

Its monday!  and that means paint day!   I really need to finish the bust I am working on before this weekend, and this is my most productive day.   Yes it involves more than the usual amount to TV time, but is the only day free of scheduled activities. 

I am a stay-at-home parent and the weekends are family time, or days for major projects. sometimes with a break for gaming.  

This weekend involved replacing all the smoke detectors.  Rewiring them was easier that I expected, the old ones were original to the house and the plugs were  were incompatible.  But the old FAs were attached to the house with less than 6" of color coded wires, and the new ones came with exactly that amount of wire. Also bought a little device to measure current.  It was handy as there was no switch labeled "Fire Alarms" in my fuse box.  

Also this weekend: Warhammer Fantasy RP with a new generic rule system called Genesis.   The DM was great at making the one mass battle feel like the Wargame.  but the magic system isn't stellar.  Thankfully im not the mage. 

The DM had to make up most of the rules to turn the generic guidelines into a system of fantasy magic, and it is just not that good.  The duel between mages  had lots of dice, no meaningful results.  

Talked to the shop owner on the way out who said he had to rework the magic rules for his campaign as well. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Step Six: Install WINE which allows many Windo$s programs to think they are running in a windows environment but are actually running in a walled garden.

Step Seven: Go shopping in the equivalent of an app store for whatever productivity software is needed.

Step Eight:  Stop having to worry about Windo$e trying to run your life better than you can do the job, or drop the ball and start gazing at its navel when you absolutely must get work done.

GEM

P.S.  you are using Linux right now as the software that makes the internet go all runs in a Linux environment

Step Nine: Discover that WINE is a buggy piece of brocolli, and ALSO doesn't run the PoS you are trying to install with that PoS.

Step Ten: KILL the person that suggested WINE.

Step Eleven: Stop worrying about WINE and Linux, leaving those to people that think debugging compatibility issues is a good expenditure of their time.

BAM never did recover from the attempt.

If the software you need to run needs Windows then run it under WINDOWS! Not Linux, not WINE.

13 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Step Six: Install WINE which allows many Windo$s programs to think they are running in a windows environment but are actually running in a walled garden.

Step Seven: Go shopping in the equivalent of an app store for whatever productivity software is needed.

Step Eight:  Stop having to worry about Windo$e trying to run your life better than you can do the job, or drop the ball and start gazing at its navel when you absolutely must get work done.

GEM

P.S.  you are using Linux right now as the software that makes the internet go all runs in a Linux environment

Step Nine: Discover that WINE is a buggy piece of brocolli, and ALSO doesn't run the PoS you are trying to install with that PoS.

Step Eleven: Stop worrying about WINE and Linux, leaving those to people that think debugging compatibility issues is a good expenditure of their time.

If the software you need to run needs Windows then run it under WINDOWS! Not Linux, not WINE.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

If I am "running Linux right now" then the bugginess of this forum and my Fire in combo speaks volumes on how wonderful Linux is, if you are claiming it right now.

Edited by PaganMegan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Unless there's a 'weird pie' category.

Or the judges really like onions.

Or it's a savory meringue.

All of which are possible.

Mum has the Star Trek Cooking Manual, which has a Klingon onion pie.

I need to steal that from Mum, I know somebody that will actually USE it!

• Like 8

Well, the odd stuff continues with work and my vacation...  Supervisor lost the hard copies for a few of us... <_<

After a bit of discussing, I still have next week off, but if my other two (tenth anniversary week, and Samhain) are lost, there's going to be hell to pay since I've checked FOUR times with him that my days are good. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Mum has the Star Trek Cooking Manual, which has a Klingon onion pie.

I need to steal that from Mum, I know somebody that will actually USE it!

I have that book. The recipes are surprisingly good. Strongly recommended are the Klingon onion pie, Chekov's piroshki (but use Walter Koenig's recipe), and Sulu''s pickled mushrooms. The Drunken Seafood is great, but rather hasslesome for prep and cleanup, and their Plomeek Soup is probably the best I've tried out of a number of recipes at conventions and online over the years.

• Like 8

Nanny Ogg's Cookbook by Terry Pratchett, Steven Briggs and Tina Hannan also has many good recipes. (As well as being very funny, of course.) Mrs Gogols' Gumbo is excellent.

• Like 4

It snowed!

Or so my back deck claims.

9C788554-2980-41C4-89B8-04D920C52904.thumb.jpeg.e29b67ba27260d7a2b9d7c50e6c38352.jpeg

I'm skeptical.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I suspect a trap.

Good instincts.

Unfortunately, I didn't dodge fast enough.

Sometime in the next 3-5 weeks I'm going to be unemployed.

Anyone know of a job for a slightly broken, worn out, disgruntled vet in upstate New York?

• Sad 13