Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

18 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Good instincts.

Unfortunately, I didn't dodge fast enough.

Sometime in the next 3-5 weeks I'm going to be unemployed.

Anyone know of a job for a slightly broken, worn out, disgruntled vet in upstate New York?

Depends.  Are you willing to come back to CT?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Marvin said:

It snowed!

Or so my back deck claims.

9C788554-2980-41C4-89B8-04D920C52904.thumb.jpeg.e29b67ba27260d7a2b9d7c50e6c38352.jpeg

I'm skeptical.

Best call into work now while the phone lines still work!! You're going to be stranded for days with that snowpocalypse!

• Haha 10

8 minutes ago, eldamir said:

Best call into work now while the phone lines still work!! You're going to be stranded for days with that snowpocalypse!

By Vancouver Island standards, or Vancouver itself...  Yup, snowpocalypse. ::P:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Those are tiny precious puppy toeprints actually. I miss muh kittehs.

Wife's at the vet right now with the dachshund. Woke up to a lot of blood and him unconscious. Think maybe a blockage. Bad scene.

Also a metaphor for my life.

About to call up Ticketfly and try to figure out why I can't transfer my tickets for tomorrow night's Hot Snakes show. If I can get them sent to my buddy think I'll just go ahead and hit the road. Maybe. At last.

This surely must be comical viewed from a distance.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

2 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

Step Nine: Discover that WINE is a buggy piece of brocolli, and ALSO doesn't run the PoS you are trying to install with that PoS.

Step Ten: KILL the person that suggested WINE.

Step Eleven: Stop worrying about WINE and Linux, leaving those to people that think debugging compatibility issues is a good expenditure of their time.

BAM never did recover from the attempt.

If the software you need to run needs Windows then run it under WINDOWS! Not Linux, not WINE.

Step Twelve: Ever after, make a point of mentioning the laundry basket of issues that tend to result when attempting to run Linux without the necessary headspace for debugging, and the willingness and ability to spend a large number of hours debugging; assuming the software we use will work at all and we don't have to learn a new piece of software that might not actually do what we need it to do.

I know there are people that like Linux, and can use some variant of it without issues. But please. For the love of our sanity, /stop suggesting Linux/ to Windows users! Chances are really really good that /we don't have the necessary skills to make it work/.

All you do is make us angry, and want to throw computers at you. :/

I have a headache. I went to bed with this headache. I'm not sure how I slept.. *grumbleowmutter*

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

I was promised a snow day. Work warned us all of impending shutdown because of snow. Why is there no snow?

Because the weather gods hate us?

Usually, we get promised no snow, or light snow, and end up with six inches to a foot of white doom that nobody knows how to drive in. Mr. Thorne has been surprised at least once with that...

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

Step Twelve: Ever after, make a point of mentioning the laundry basket of issues that tend to result when attempting to run Linux without the necessary headspace for debugging, and the willingness and ability to spend a large number of hours debugging; assuming the software we use will work at all and we don't have to learn a new piece of software that might not actually do what we need it to do.

I know there are people that like Linux, and can use some variant of it without issues. But please. For the love of our sanity, /stop suggesting Linux/ to Windows users! Chances are really really good that /we don't have the necessary skills to make it work/.

All you do is make us angry, and want to throw computers at you. :/

I have a headache. I went to bed with this headache. I'm not sure how I slept.. *grumbleowmutter*

So, my perspective here is quite simple: Use the appropriate tool for the job. It's been the year of "Linux on the Desktop" for what, 15 years now, and it has not happened - that indicates to me that the userspace applications are simply Not There. Wine is a crutch at best, and not a good one. So is, in the other direction, WSL, as much as I love the idea. As for the Free Software attitude of "if what you want is not supported, fix that," most people have neither the ability nor the time nor the inclination to write up that code themselves, nor the resources to hire a professional to do it for them. I am a lifelong systems admin and home user of computers, and quite frankly, unless I am expressly working on something new, I expect my tools to Just Work. I have no more patience for a program I need to get into the guts of and rewrite the code for than I would have for rewiring my oven every time I want to cook something different.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

There's a listing for a box of 23 random minis on teh Evilbay.

The box itself is for the Grenadier Monsters of Mythology box set.

The "random" contains not just two figures from the old TSR Monks, Bards and Thieves set, which are always nice to find, but also has about a dozen of the old Elfquest minis in it... :bday:  I'm keeping an eyeball on it.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

There's a listing for a box of 23 random minis on teh Evilbay.

The box itself is for the Grenadier Monsters of Mythology box set.

The "random" contains not just two figures from the old TSR Monks, Bards and Thieves set, which are always nice to find, but also has about a dozen of the old Elfquest minis in it... :bday:  I'm keeping an eyeball on it.

Hm. That IS random. The Elfquest minis are from two different sets, Personalities and Journey To Sorrow's End, and at least one of the others is from a Ral Partha undead boxed set I had when I was a keed...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chaoswolf said:

Good instincts.

Unfortunately, I didn't dodge fast enough.

Sometime in the next 3-5 weeks I'm going to be unemployed.

Anyone know of a job for a slightly broken, worn out, disgruntled vet in upstate New York?

That S#$%!

I hope you will find something soon!

Is business going bad?

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Those are tiny precious puppy toeprints actually. I miss muh kittehs.

Wife's at the vet right now with the dachshund. Woke up to a lot of blood and him unconscious. Think maybe a blockage. Bad scene.

Also a metaphor for my life.

About to call up Ticketfly and try to figure out why I can't transfer my tickets for tomorrow night's Hot Snakes show. If I can get them sent to my buddy think I'll just go ahead and hit the road. Maybe. At last.

This surely must be comical viewed from a distance.

I hope the doggie will be allright!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Hm. That IS random.

And that, my friend, is why I carefully eyeball every lot of random stuff - you never know when you're going to know, or to notice, something somebody else doesn't... If money wasn't so tight, I've have bought it already.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

It snowed!

Or so my back deck claims.

9C788554-2980-41C4-89B8-04D920C52904.thumb.jpeg.e29b67ba27260d7a2b9d7c50e6c38352.jpeg

I'm skeptical.

Kinda looks like frost from here...  We get much more frost than actual snow, which suits me fine.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NebulousMissy said:

I was promised a snow day. Work warned us all of impending shutdown because of snow. Why is there no snow?

Because it's not supposed to start until this evening? (at least not here, that is).

• Like 3