Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

2 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I keep loud booming sounds around my apartment building. No, it's not gas explosions. No, it's not noisy neighbours. No, it's not someone hauling their garbage cans to the street. It's large sheets of lovely death water melting and finally slipping off the roof.

Hopefully no one parked there, I've heard some horror stories about falling ice.  A 10' icicle does some serious damage when it falls off a building.  :blink:

• Like 6

Successful first day! 

Tomorrow I get the tour of the ship, and lunch with my boss. 

Tonight? I'm thinking I might paint something! 

• Like 10

In a great example of why it's bad to not get any sleep all night I just realized why I have been shaky and dizzy all day.I have hardly eaten today. Fixing the problem now.:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

15 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Successful first day! 

Tomorrow I get the tour of the ship, and lunch with my boss. 

Tonight? I'm thinking I might paint something! 

Congratulations!

If they send you to get a "bucket of prop wash", or, "100 feet of flight line",just grin and accept it as part of your "initiation".

GEM

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Eight years later, and it still makes you fume, eh? :lol:

BaM! had a PoD machine that ran one version of Linux, an in store customer PoS that ran on another version of Linux, and a PoS and inventorying system that ran on Windows - and none of them liked the other systems....

Then add a tech incompetent management team.

BaM! tried WINE with yet another version of Linux, to run the PoS and inventory system... and lost the entire database.

The Auld Grump - I was not there, but I heard about it, at length. Megan needed someone to fume at, and goodness knows I have used her in like capacity often enough. ::):

You have no idea.

A project that was supposed to take hours - before we even had to open - took WEEKS!

We had to rebuild the inventory database from scratch, taking a PHYSICAL inventory of every book!

Which meant writing  notes of every book we sold, until the inventory was talking to our registers.

Because one version of oh, so wonderful! Linux didn't want to talk to the others.

It makes me want to lock everybody who talks about how great Linux is in a shark cage.

With the sharks INSIDE the cage.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Linux is useful for some things...and front ends and storefront tools are not those things.

I like it when I'm programming for control...I literally don't use Linux OS for anything else. (And before you say it, yes, Android is Linux based, but it isn't Linux.) 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

You have no idea.

A project that was supposed to take hours - before we even had to open - took WEEKS!

We had to rebuild the inventory database from scratch, taking a PHYSICAL inventory of every book!

Which meant writing  notes of every book we sold, until the inventory was talking to our registers.

Because one version of oh, so wonderful! Linux didn't want to talk to the others.

It makes me want to lock everybody who talks about how great Linux is in a shark cage.

With the sharks INSIDE the cage.

Let me guess.

There were no backups of the data.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Let me guess.

There were no backups of the data.

It wrote over the backups.

Six months of data gone.

Grump just came in.

He's got snow on him, and not from sneaking in a snow angel.

It. Is. Snowing. :angry:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

I've watched all the Monk and the Psych now!

I'm at a loss for how to proceed. ::(:

Well, you could get in some early Tony Shalhoub with Wings, but personally I think you should switch to something non-comedy to change it up for a bit.

• Like 5

Tomorrow I can pick up my sewing machine from the shop, then I need to figure out how to make a very big bow & sash for my daughter's cosplay.  It should be...  ...  Interesting.  

• Like 7

I have seized control of the computer, chasing away both Grump and Tomathy.

Time take all my scribbled notes, add stats, and turn them into an adventure.

Grump thinks four more sessions of Crimson Throne.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, PaganMegan said:

Grump just came in.

He's got snow on him, and not from sneaking in a snow angel.

It. Is. Snowing. :angry:

55 minutes ago, Seer of the Pitt said:

It's snowing in The Pitt.  Driving to work tomorrow should be interesting.:rock:

So... since it was 89F here today, I shouldn’t complain, right?

Got my range pass today. I can go... places. Guarded places. Had to watch a video to get it. Learned not to pick up bright shiny objects in the desert.

Might make me go “boom”!

And not the good kind of boom.

• Like 9

I finally have a little time at dinner (Black Bear Diner; trying to eat at no place that I could eat at when I’m home), so I’m going over the Bones 4 KS thread. Ran into this:

7AA32FE0-7BBC-49A4-8D84-CF6F6D144413.thumb.png.f71b1f116795a462dfb505e4d1993b8e.png

See the bottom right? No other post had that graphical glitch! It’s a sign! Oblivion approaches!

Oh, and a couple of things that go boom:

E72B03B5-E939-433E-8B06-E98358E9F6C6.thumb.jpeg.dad2aaa78fe7dbc0c7a62c98bd379cbe.jpeg

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

I finally have a little time at dinner (Black Bear Diner; trying to eat at no place that I could eat at when I’m home), so I’m going over the Bones 4 KS thread. Ran into this:

7AA32FE0-7BBC-49A4-8D84-CF6F6D144413.thumb.png.f71b1f116795a462dfb505e4d1993b8e.png

See the bottom right? No other post had that graphical glitch! It’s a sign! Oblivion approaches!

Oh, and a couple of things that go boom:

E72B03B5-E939-433E-8B06-E98358E9F6C6.thumb.jpeg.dad2aaa78fe7dbc0c7a62c98bd379cbe.jpeg

But did you get to drive them around is the biggest question... 

• Haha 6