Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

36 minutes ago, Sophie was taken said:

Update! The Blick store is about to go out of business. They don’t have the brushes I want. Even the W&Ns are all splayed out ::(:

all of them or just a local one?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Flit said:

Wal-Mart on Saturday = Hell on Earth

I usually avoid it but wasn't able to avoid it today.

Try Phoenix airport with the alignment of spring break, spring training, and a NASCAR race! Toss in the standard infrequent traveler, and you have the luxurious warmth so deserved of those who bring enough carryon luggage to fill two overhead bins. And I wish I was joking. Took eight trays. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Anyone have an idea where to get cheap miniatures carrying cases? Been looking at ones for 40k, and all the options bloody expensive.

About the only inexpensive one I know of is Sabol's Army Transport....  There are other companies, trying to think of the name... 

Aha, found it!  KR Multicase is considered the high quality inexpensive casing option. 

There is also BattleFoam but we won't talk about their pricing.  Aka for what you get, they're good, but you need to actually need that day in day out ruggedness (like say going to tournaments every other weekend), and shipping to Canada is stupidly expensive (a paint case with the stand-up dropper bottle foam tray will almost double the cost once you factor in shipping to Canada, or around there price wise). 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Sophie was taken said:

Update! The Blick store is about to go out of business. They don’t have the brushes I want. Even the W&Ns are all splayed out ::(:

If you can, grab a catalog before they close for good.

There are goodies in the catalog that aren't available in every store, even the ones that are still a going concern.

GEM

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

About the only inexpensive one I know of is Sabol's Army Transport....  There are other companies, trying to think of the name... 

Aha, found it!  KR Multicase is considered the high quality inexpensive casing option. 

There is also BattleFoam but we won't talk about their pricing.  Aka for what you get, they're good, but you need to actually need that day in day out ruggedness (like say going to tournaments every other weekend), and shipping to Canada is stupidly expensive (a paint case with the stand-up dropper bottle foam tray will almost double the cost once you factor in shipping to Canada, or around there price wise). 

I'm looking for a more inexpensive solution. Sabol is cheap but you pay extra for the foams, and KR Multicase's prices seem nearly as much as Citadel's, yet has lower quality cases. The markup on these things are mind-boggling, and I just need a cheap solution for our new 40k community to haul their soon-to-be-massacred xenos.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pegazus said:

Try Phoenix airport with the alignment of spring break, spring training, and a NASCAR race! Toss in the standard infrequent traveler, and you have the luxurious warmth so deserved of those who bring enough carryon luggage to fill two overhead bins. And I wish I was joking. Took eight trays. 

Nope, not gonna try that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

17 hours ago, Flit said:

That makes me hurt just thinking about it, but so does looking at an eyebrow piercing. My most adventurous body modification was getting my ears double pierced and wearing dangley earrings.

Actually,  if you got your ears pierced, most strictly dermal piercings like eyebrow rings or nose don't really hurt all that much more...

17 hours ago, knarthex said:

Megaforce

I was sooo pissed that I couldn't find my VHS copy of Megaforce for Barry to sign when I met him...  :down:

13 hours ago, Marvin said:

Worked up a cool concept for the dragonborn warlock, but me trying to figure out the warlock class kinda like 

I dropped out of life right before they dropped in 3.5, and I still haven't caught up. Alas.

In 3.5, the Warlock was basically an arcane single-target blaster, with a few dark-and-spooky special abilities tacked on as part of their I-made-a-deal-with-dark-powers flavor. Sort of a cross between Cyclops and Nightcrawler from the X-Men.

They had an at-will Eldritch Blast ability, and received a choice of "Invocations" at certain levels, supernatural abilities that let them do things like improve their blasting, speak with animals, fly, create darkness, etc... They weren't particularly powerful, but given their choices for Invocations it was a nice chassis for building a wide variety of characters despite being a one-trick-pony in combat.

In 5E, the warlock is again pretty much something where two characters can look hella different depending on your choice of Pact, Archetype and Invocations...

The warlock isn't really a spellcaster so much as it has access to casting certain spells, much like it's original 3.5 incarnation. Your "spellcasting" isn't really the primary focus of the class, but just one facet of a suite of magical abilities represented by your pact, archetype, invocations and spells.

You get a couple of cantrips, including access to Eldritch Blast (which is one of the best in the game since it can be modified by your Invocations), and a handful of spells that you can use X number of times, but really, your spells are more there to support and reinforce the flavor and playstyle choices you made when choosing your pact, archetype and invocations. Since you get a limited number of them but can throw them around with some regularity, they act more like a special ability than regular spellcasting.

So it's kind of up to you to decide how much of your focus is on your spells rather than your other abilities.

A Blade pact Fiend patron warlock is probably not going to be relying too heavily on their spells, since they'll be mainly firing off a Hex or Mage Armor (which they can get at-will from an Invocation) and then wading into combat, but a Book pact warlock with a Fey or Great Old One patron may be strategically slinging spells throughout an entire fight whenever they're not just blasting somebody.

For the warlock, unless you're going to be a one-trick pony spamming a particular set of tricks/combos in every situation and building solidly towards enhancing that, it's generally best when designing a character to start with concept first and then tack the crunch onto it.

What sort of concept did you have for your warlock?

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Anyone have an idea where to get cheap miniatures carrying cases? Been looking at ones for 40k, and all the options bloody expensive.

The dirt cheap method is to get a bunch of cheap plastic storage containers at the dollar store, glue a metal plate in the bottom, and then put the self-adhesive magnetic strips on the bottoms of your bases.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 8

Yup, was gonna suggest build your own.

(re: cheap cases)

ETA---try googling gun cases, they'll work just as well, and are usually cheaper than figure cases for basically the same thing.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 8

There's two hours left on an auction for one of the Ral Partha 11-0XX Adventurers figures I still don't have... It has three bids on it and a price of $2.00 at the moment. I plan on owning this thing. I am willing to go big on this one. If I'm not the owner at the end of the auction, whoever takes it from me is going to be weeping at the price they paid for it. Weeping.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

The crunch of the warlock just doesn't make sense in my brain. Eh.

14 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

ETA---try googling gun cases, they'll work just as well, and are usually cheaper than figure cases for basically the same thing.

Seriously about to go empty my pistol case and see how minis sit in it.

• Like 7

I'm looking for a more inexpensive solution. Sabol is cheap but you pay extra for the foams, and KR Multicase's prices seem nearly as much as Citadel's, yet has lower quality cases. The markup on these things are mind-boggling, and I just need a cheap solution for our new 40k community to haul their soon-to-be-massacred xenos.

If you have a Harbor Freight in your area check there.

They carry a number of cases that are Chinese knockoffs of the Anvil Case design for not too much money.

GEM

• Like 5

What about pelican knockoff cases?  Some have used those successfully, depending on how much space you need. 

• Like 6

If you can find a good source for foam, get some of those corrugated cardboard boxes they sell for trading card games. A 5,000 card box has a vast amount of room in it once you pull out the inserts and put some flan in it, and it won't be more than a few dollars.

Foam, but I'm leaving that autocorrect in, it's funny.

• Like 3
  • Haha 11