Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

33 minutes ago, Marvin said:

a0dfc6d5159f6bce54d4293745e17f75.jpg

I didn't name the darn thing!!!

As per Wiki:

A ballcock (also balltap or float valve) is a mechanism or machine for filling water tanks, such as those found in flush toilets, while avoiding overflow and (in the event of low water pressure) backflow. The modern ballcock was invented by José Antonio de Alzate y Ramírez, a Mexican priest and scientist, who described the device in 1790 in the Gaceta de Literatura Méxicana.[1] The ballcock device was patented in 1797 for use in steam engines by Edmund Cartwright.[2][3]

It consists of a valve connected to a hollow sealed float by means of a lever, mounted near the top of the tank. The float is often ball-shaped, hence the name ballcock. The valve is connected to the incoming water supply, and is opened and closed by the lever which has the float mounted on the end. When the water level rises, the float rises with it; once it rises to a pre-set level, the mechanism forces the lever to close the valve and shut off the water flow. This is an example of negative feedback and of proportional control.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, sumbloke said:

I shaved my beard (van Dyke) off a year and a half ago for Movember. It was the first time I'd been clean-shaven in over 10 years. I have no plans to shave it off again. EVER!!!

I wish I could grow a decent goatee or van Dyke, it would make it so much easier for people to recognize my evil twin....

The Auld Grump

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

So, I'm pretty sure I got a phishing scam phone call.

Reason 1: It was a recording

Reason 2: The beginning of said recording was cut off in the voice mail

Reason 3: The recording told me that "the local COPS" would be looking for me. Maybe it's just me, but 'local Police' or 'local law enforcement' sounds more professional, and would be the proper terminology.

Reason 4: Before I take any legal action, I should call <their number>. Lady, you just told me the cops are looking for me, the FIRST call I'm making is to a lawyer.

Reason 5: (Actually the most important)  I haven't done anything wrong.

Just in case, though: When you guys bake me a cake with a file in it, I like chocolate.

I bet it was Texas "COPS", you know for the times in the wee hours............ :unsure:

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Reason 3: The recording told me that "the local COPS" would be looking for me. Maybe it's just me, but 'local Police' or 'local law enforcement' sounds more professional, and would be the proper terminology.

Reason 4: Before I take any legal action, I should call <their number>. Lady, you just told me the cops are looking for me, the FIRST call I'm making is to a lawyer.

Just in case, though: When you guys bake me a cake with a file in it, I like chocolate.

I got one of those too. I googled the number and, sure enough, it is a scam. I thought the use of 'you will be taken under custody by local cops' was pretty amusing too. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Keianna said:

I got one of those too. I googled the number and, sure enough, it is a scam. I thought the use of 'you will be taken under custody by local cops' was pretty amusing too. 

Did they say if you had to sing the theme song?

Edited by FaekiasDracon
Left out a word...
  • Haha 11

38 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

The one I like is when they end with something to the effect of “if you choose to ignore this message, then good luck to you!

If you call back they try and get you to “pay your overdue IRS taxes” or whatever using iTunes gift cards :rolleyes:

• Haha 10

28 minutes ago, Sophie was taken said:

The one I like is when they end with something to the effect of “if you choose to ignore this message, then good luck to you!

If you call back they try and get you to “pay your overdue IRS taxes” or whatever using iTunes gift cards :rolleyes:

I am quite fond of the one that tells me they are calling about my past due car loan. (I have not had a car loan in 10 years) The one that wants me to refinance my home mortgage is also good. (I own no house)

but not nearly as funny as the ones who mistake my sister for my grandma. (same name, but one has been dead for 40 years)

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Unruly said:

I've always wanted to run a megacity type campaign. I even bought all the Ptolus stuff when it was on Bundle of Holding specifically to get a feel for it. But I guess I just can't wrap my head around it. I don't know how to handle it all.

I'd need street-level maps, at the very least, so that I could hand them out to the players. I'd need a list of landmarks for at least 1/3 of the streets. Because I'd want to be able to do stuff like "Your contact wants you to meet him in Sunnyside. Grant Avenue. He said you'll find him outside The Summit." And then, when they show up, "You turn the corner and find your contact in a bloody heap. A cloaked figure darts down Houston, and you catch the glint of metal as he rounds the corner." And then it turns into a turn-by-turn chase, with the party probably splitting up based on the street map to get intercept routes.

But the problem is that, at best, you get one big mess of a map that, if you're lucky, you can pick out any streets or alleys other than main thoroughfares. And landmarks are a handful of super major locations.

Maybe I just don't understand how to run an urban game.

I have loved urban games since The City State of the Invincible Overlord. (Which has the best player maps that I have ever seen - detail along the main streets, blank spaces for everything else.

First thing about urban games - it is a setting, don't get too bogged down in minutiae. Go for flavor and feel over details.

Don't try to memorize the whole city, just enough of the neighborhood(s) that they will be in. In the case of the Blight, the detail on the map is so tiny that you are better off just mapping the neighborhood yourself, and giving the PCs only that map. Heck, The Blight includes a player map, and I still plan to make my own neighborhood maps.

That said, the details are how you convey the flavor and feel. Those neighborhood maps, and the things you put in them, is what will make the city your own.

For The Blight I might:

When they roll for Sneak, tell them that the supposedly blind beggar seems to be following their movements. turning his head so that his right ear is always to them.

When they make a Perception roll, and there is nothing to find, tell them that they hear a sound, then see a cat being strangled by a large rat with a twisted human face and hands. When it notices them, it gives them a rude gesture, then darts off, taking the dead cat with it.

If they have an encounter with a wizard, tell them they see a carriage drawn by zombies, moving slowly through the streets - the crest that would proclaim the owner's family draped with black silk.

A funeral procession passes them, the mourners' heads bowed in sorrow, but their shadows caper and dance in the street.

Give them the feeling that the city is a living, or almost living, thing, and one that may or may not care if the PCs live or die.

If you can find it, the ancient Midkemia Press Cities has an awesome, and fairly generic, series of encounter tables - roll them up ahead of time, then add them when you want.

Also decent was City Works for D20, from Fantasy Flight. In particular, the way it handles creating and mapping a city - it does a fairly decent job giving neighborhoods a feel, and for running city adventures. (This last part is pretty system agnostic.)

The Auld Grump

• Like 6

Okay, that is freaky... I just went to RPGNow, to look for Cityworks (via Google) - and I am logged into somebody else's account, in German....

Just logged out, but... I am sending an e-mail to RPGNow about it, that has got to be a security problem. There is no way following a Google link should log me in as somebody else.

*EDIT* Logged back in as me - but the site is still in German....

*EDIT 2* For the record, Cityworks was not among the PDFs still available from the old Legends & Lairs series. ::(:

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, DocPiske said:

Repent, sinners! The end (of the thread) is nigh!

Swing, you Sinners!

From so far back that sometimes the point of an animated film was the animation....

The Auld Grump

• Like 4

As expected, the day turned stressful due to circumstances beyond my control.

• Sad 6

Hmmm, how about an apolitical political cartoon?

launching-money-into-space.png

Yes, that really was Torsten Neubert's answer.... (In Danish, mind.)

Seems like a pretty straight forward answer..

The Auld Grump

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

Anybody know how to remove a Norton toolbar from the Chrome browser (which I hate and only use for one really important thing because I have to). The tool bar won't let me in because my email is not associated with it because Mr Flit set up the account and it won't let me use my email (registered to the really important account) because I used my email to log in- like I am supposed to.:angry:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Okay, that is freaky... I just went to RPGNow, to look for Cityworks (via Google) - and I am logged into somebody else's account, in German....

Just logged out, but... I am sending an e-mail to RPGNow about it, that has got to be a security problem. There is no way following a Google link should log me in as somebody else.

*EDIT* Logged back in as me - but the site is still in German....

*EDIT 2* For the record, Cityworks was not among the PDFs still available from the old Legends & Lairs series. ::(:

The Auld Grump

I was just on there (well DMG, pretty much same site) had 3 free (not PAYW) 5e adventures in my cart. I "paid" for my pdfs & when it got done with the transaction it said  I had nothing. No links, nothing. I went to the product page & it said I had purchased that item. Ummmm ok then.

EDIT: They are in my library thou. Hmmm odd. :blink:

@Flit Can you go into the Extensions? Perhaps it's in there. I despise Norton, so I have no clue really.

• Like 5