Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

Just got off bus. 

That was an insane bus driver. He kicked someone off for supposedly cursing on his phone. The guy wasn't bothering anyone, and no one else heard him curse. Then the driver went on a tirade at the rest of us about rules and threatened to kick us off the bus if we questioned him. It was more messed up than dealing with pervs who want to talk to me on the bus. 

At least three of us on the bus reported the incident immediately. The driver had serious anger issues yelling at everyone for effectively a non-incident. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 4

Trying to use the DriveThru app, and I keep getting File Hash Not Returned From Sender.... I'm gonna guess that the problems aren't on my end.

No kids tonight, just Megan, Brigid, and me... and I just learned that Megan has neither read nor played any of the Dragonlance series.... Not sure if I should rectify this or not - while I liked the early Dragonlance adventures, the later ones... not so much.

The Auld Grump

• Like 7

I'm in Kentucky again. My boss forgot about my dinner. Guess who has access to a company card. *angelic platypus face* muahhahaha 

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

Just got off bus. 

That was an insane bus driver. He kicked someone off for supposedly cursing on his phone. The guy wasn't bothering anyone, and no one else heard him curse. Then the driver went on a tirade at the rest of us about rules and threatened to kick us off the bus if we questioned him. It was more messed up than dealing with pervs who want to talk to me on the bus. 

At least three of us on the bus reported the incident immediately. The driver had serious anger issues yelling at everyone for effectively a non-incident. 

Luckily you didn't have that driver taking those people to the Masters golf tourney in Georgia today:

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/tour-bus-carrying-20-people-flips-on-interstate-outside-augusta/727520366

Thou, no excuse on how he treated everyone. Hopefully he is reprimanded for his actions.

• Sad 7

Aye. As far as we could tell, he wasn't drunk or at risk of flipping the bus. Also wasn't a bus going at high speeds (in-town, not highway). I'm hoping the guy doesn't ever get employed working with the public - he was not in the right mind for general population. *cringes* 

• Like 8

18 hours ago, SGHawkins09 said:

You’re welcome. Hopefully you can get in touch, good luck.

If I don't I might pledge my soul to Paizo, and run a ton of Pathfinder. Since I have promised for years now, I want her to have first chance at my hard labor. :lol:

1 hour ago, pcktlnt said:

I'm in Kentucky again. My boss forgot about my dinner. Guess who has access to a company card. *angelic platypus face* muahhahaha 

Soooo..... when you wanna hang out again?

I am off tomorrow, and then working this weekend... until Tuesday. 

However, my shifts haven't been taking me until midnight to finish anymore! (sometimes.) Also I'm running another scenario next wednesday at Heroes from 6-10. Are you working any night shifts?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, haldir said:

I was just on there (well DMG, pretty much same site) had 3 free (not PAYW) 5e adventures in my cart. I "paid" for my pdfs & when it got done with the transaction it said  I had nothing. No links, nothing. I went to the product page & it said I had purchased that item. Ummmm ok then.

EDIT: They are in my library thou. Hmmm odd. :blink:

@Flit Can you go into the Extensions? Perhaps it's in there. I despise Norton, so I have no clue really.

Thanks for the tip @haldir  I got to where I needed to go. More a work around than an actual fix, but I got what I needed to do done.

• Like 8

Yeah!! I was useful twice today!!! ::P:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, PaganMegan said:

Oh, goody. It's finally March. :angry:

So sick of cold weather.

Yeah, a couple weeks ago I was talking about how well the melt was going in my neighborhood. Then lake-effect snow happened and made me look like a fool! <_<

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, FaekiasDracon said:

Did they say if you had to sing the theme song?

Bad boys, bad boys, wha'cha gonna do?

Wat'cha gonna do when they come for you...

4 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I have loved urban games since The City State of the Invincible Overlord. (Which has the best player maps that I have ever seen - detail along the main streets, blank spaces for everything else.

First thing about urban games - it is a setting, don't get too bogged down in minutiae. Go for flavor and feel over details.

Don't try to memorize the whole city, just enough of the neighborhood(s) that they will be in. In the case of the Blight, the detail on the map is so tiny that you are better off just mapping the neighborhood yourself, and giving the PCs only that map. Heck, The Blight includes a player map, and I still plan to make my own neighborhood maps.

That said, the details are how you convey the flavor and feel. Those neighborhood maps, and the things you put in them, is what will make the city your own.

For The Blight I might:

When they roll for Sneak, tell them that the supposedly blind beggar seems to be following their movements. turning his head so that his right ear is always to them.

When they make a Perception roll, and there is nothing to find, tell them that they hear a sound, then see a cat being strangled by a large rat with a twisted human face and hands. When it notices them, it gives them a rude gesture, then darts off, taking the dead cat with it.

If they have an encounter with a wizard, tell them they see a carriage drawn by zombies, moving slowly through the streets - the crest that would proclaim the owner's family draped with black silk.

A funeral procession passes them, the mourners' heads bowed in sorrow, but their shadows caper and dance in the street.

Give them the feeling that the city is a living, or almost living, thing, and one that may or may not care if the PCs live or die.

If you can find it, the ancient Midkemia Press Cities has an awesome, and fairly generic, series of encounter tables - roll them up ahead of time, then add them when you want.

Also decent was City Works for D20, from Fantasy Flight. In particular, the way it handles creating and mapping a city - it does a fairly decent job giving neighborhoods a feel, and for running city adventures. (This last part is pretty system agnostic.)

The Auld Grump

(Again, Vornheim... So good...)

And yeah, I tried running Waterdeep trying to be all super detailed, and it failed miserably. Feel is far more important than detail.

3 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Hmmm, how about an apolitical political cartoon?

launching-money-into-space.png

Yes, that really was Torsten Neubert's answer.... (In Danish, mind.)

Seems like a pretty straight forward answer..

The Auld Grump

I mean... I've known rocket scientists... This is always what they hope for...

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thes Hunter said:

If I don't I might pledge my soul to Paizo, and run a ton of Pathfinder. Since I have promised for years now, I want her to have first chance at my hard labor. :lol:

Soooo..... when you wanna hang out again?

I am off tomorrow, and then working this weekend... until Tuesday. 

However, my shifts haven't been taking me until midnight to finish anymore! (sometimes.) Also I'm running another scenario next wednesday at Heroes from 6-10. Are you working any night shifts?

I am not anymore! Wooo.

Working this weekend as well. Maybe I can escape around 1 or 2. I'll be here until the 20th. No nightshift Wooooo!

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, Sophie was taken said:

Auuugh I got paint in my eye :blink:

Am I gonna die?

Hoe did this hyphen?

Stupid phone. How did that happen? 

Edited by pcktlnt
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

7 minutes ago, pcktlnt said:

Hoe did this hyphen?

Stupid phone. How did that happen? 

Trying to clean the dropper tip of gunked up crud and it spattered. Washed it out real good and feel fine, so my immortality is still intact. For now.

• Like 9