Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

5 hours ago, Pingo said:

Yeah, I hear that is a problem with mineral dice. I also hear they can be rough on tables.

A lot of mineral dice are. But then again, so are metal dice. Personally, if I were using either I'd opt for a rolling tray of some sort. Especially for the metal dice.

I'm also one of those people that gets kind of crazy about dice rolling fairly. As both a player and a DM I don't want my dice to favor anything. If I could get polyhedral dice made to Vegas standards, I would love that. But as far as I know, there's no company that does sharp edged, CNC milled, polyhedrals to micrometer tolerances that then have their numbers refilled with equal-density material...

• Like 7

5 hours ago, knarthex said:

well I got rear ended tonight....

spent an hour plus at urgent care just in case....

neck a bit stiff, but otherwise okay....

Glad you're alright right now, but be careful with it. Whiplash injuries have a tendency to sneak up a couple days later.

5 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Kickstarter is being sued as a Co-defendant over this:

http://www.tenkarstavern.com/2018/04/ken-whitman-youve-been-served.html?m=1

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. That man is vile for many reasons.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Please fill me in - who's that guy?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, knarthex said:

George,

Make sure to see a doctor and get it all documented.

I hope you will be allright, but sometimes Whiplash Symptoms present themselves weeks, even months later.

Because of insurance and liability reasons , get it documented  that you experienced this accident and have some complaints already!

2 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Glad you're alright right now, but be careful with it. Whiplash injuries have a tendency to sneak up a couple days later.

Don't know this guy either.

What's happening?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:
9 hours ago, knarthex said:

George,

Make sure to see a doctor and get it all documented.

I hope you will be allright, but sometimes Whiplash Symptoms present themselves weeks, even months later.

Because of insurance and liability reasons , get it documented  that you experienced this accident and have some complaints already

^^this. Glad you're okay. 

Coffee...

• Like 3

Started the elf hat diet...

Whitebread with ham, tea...

Tonigh chickenbreast and plain white pasta

For a Hobby Chef this is pretty plain and boring food.

Oh well, it serves a good cause, when I get home Monday I hope all went well and then I can eat good and yummie again,

• Like 8

Bah, my netbook is doing it's super-sensitive scrollpad thing again, trying to look through the WIP and Show-off sections is a nightmare.

Lesson learnt, I will never cheap out on a computer again...

• Sad 7

I said it about a week or two ago when I finished season 1, and I'll say it again now that I've got just one episode of season 2 left - The Wire is some good TV. Like "Wow, I can't believe I've never watched this before." Or "Why didn't more people talk about this when it was on?" good. This is a show that I feel should have gotten the type of reception that Breaking Bad got. I know it probably wouldn't have had the following, because it was an HBO show in the early 2000's before their shows were huge, but still...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Unruly said:

I said it about a week or two ago when I finished season 1, and I'll say it again now that I've got just one episode of season 2 left - The Wire is some good TV. Like "Wow, I can't believe I've never watched this before." Or "Why didn't more people talk about this when it was on?" good. This is a show that I feel should have gotten the type of reception that Breaking Bad got. I know it probably wouldn't have had the following, because it was an HBO show in the early 2000's before their shows were huge, but still...

it really is that good...I really should finish watching it!!

I wore a light jacket today really didn't need to... Its beautiful out!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Crowley said:

it really is that good...I really should finish watching it!!

If you say that about a series, it's not really that good. 

Now, if you said, "Elf off! I'm trying to watch ... "  or "I was watching ... then my alarm clock went off and it was time to get ready for work," now THEN you have a good series... 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, knarthex said:

Hope your weekend is better... and also that you won't have any headaches today so that you can enjoy your Metal tonight...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

Please fill me in - who's that guy?

I just heard about him yesterday, but apparently he's the guy that ran this Kickstarter:

He also ran 5 other kickstarter's which didn't fulfill.  Three were for films/TV pilots based on popular gaming stuff, and three were for simple things like cards and pencils. 

I found it interesting because Kickstarter is being pulled in as a co-defendant - primarily because they let him run so many Kickstarters and then failed to assist when they were asked to help the lawsuit against him by either providing the names/contact info of the other backers or at least facilitating contact. 

• Like 8

Random thought for today:

When a machines tells you to “Have a Nice Day”, is it sincere? Yes, yes, the machine doesn’t have emotional ability, so it comes down to the programmer. Were they sincere when they wrote it? An authentic wish for my happiness?

I concluded that if it was forced upon the programmer, then “no”. But if the programmer was enthusiastic about it, or came up with it on their own, then “yes”.

Right now, my mood says the machine was sincere about it. Hope today continues to be nice. 

• Like 9

12 hours ago, knarthex said:

Glad to hear you are okay.  hope there are no lasting effects and that your car survived with only minor damage...

12 hours ago, eldamir said:

I've heard the same, which is why I also sprang for a felt lined rolling tray (or sometimes just the carpet since we usually play during my the living room)

8 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Sadness!

Opal is a very soft stone in general. As in... I'd hesitate to wear an opal ring to a pillow fight. Sandstone - kinda depends on which one. The sand itself should be fine, it would be the cementing agent more at fault. 

Hematite is a metallic gem. So both in that case!

Depends on which minerals. Some certainly could be nasty on tables. Heavy ones or non-plasticy ones would be. Fluorite may actually be alright. It is softer material and only moderately dense. 

I have had good luck with the blue sandstone so far, and considering I roll it occasionally on my glass desktop that is saying something.  d4's tend to suffer the worst, those points do not like to hit hard surfaces!  wish more companies would go over to the crystal caste style d4 (although I am sure its patented so no one else can make their overpriced shapes) or change to a 12 sided d4. 

The opalite is by far the most fragile of the stones I have.  sometimes I think all you need to do is breath on it to make it fracture.  And yes I have way too many of these fancy dice, I may need to buy another pound or two of plastic dice to compensate ::):

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

Random thought for today:

When a machines tells you to “Have a Nice Day”, is it sincere? Yes, yes, the machine doesn’t have emotional ability, so it comes down to the programmer. Were they sincere when they wrote it? An authentic wish for my happiness?

I concluded that if it was forced upon the programmer, then “no”. But if the programmer was enthusiastic about it, or came up with it on their own, then “yes”.

Right now, my mood says the machine was sincere about it. Hope today continues to be nice. 

The machines I work on - the payment stations for automatic car washes - have a voice message that says something like this - usually "Thank you for visiting our wash". 

While the machine prompts the message to play, the actual voice messages are recorded by people. When they're recorded in the factory, a playlist that was recorded by a professional who sounds quite genuine and sincere is used to record them.  When I record them in my office, or out in the field, I'm sincere about it, too. 

BUT...

I've heard some recordings done by field techs and even site owners where the voice messages sound anything but sincere.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1