Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

Woo, thunderstorms. With long, rolling peals of thunder. The sort that make you mute the TV. And check the weather radar. And think of Garth.

And this might be the worst thing I ever have heard. :wacko:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pingo said:

One of our gamer’s friends came down with Scarlet Fever.

How is this even still a thing?

One of our gaming friends had it as a child back in the 70s.  Every doctor in the building had to come look at it because visual diagnosis requires having seen it in person, and that doesn't happen much these days.  It's a very unique rash, apparently.  

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

One of our gaming friends had it as a child back in the 70s.  Every doctor in the building had to come look at it because visual diagnosis requires having seen it in person, and that doesn't happen much these days.  It's a very unique rash, apparently.  

My ex-wife caught the mumps a few years back. (There was a previously-unnoticed gap in her immunisations due to family moving around and a few other factors, hence the lack of immunity.) Every person in the clinic was brought in to check it out, particularly all the trainee doctors, because they would probably never see it again but the experienced docs wanted everyone to know what it actually was so they could recognise it, just in case.

• Like 10

There's also a "hey come see this, it's weird" factor with doctors.

Partner had an uncommon surgery once and the doctor asked if she would consent to some colleagues watching solely for the "hey come see this" factor. She was still trying to get into med schools so of course she said yes. 

• Like 10

I had scarlet fever in the 80s when I was v. little. Don't remember it's being too huge a deal, but I dont really remember much at all. Though I think it overlapped with chicken pox, which surely must have been fun for my mom.

Had it all so bad it got my ears severely infected and the doctor called it "strep ears," which apparently was a bit of an achievement.

Alas, I've never reached such heights since.

• Like 4

Yesterday in the ER a few students were brought through to look at my eye. One of the doctors took a picture to forward to the ophthalmologist.

Generally they’ve been pretty nice about asking me if it’s okay to share.

Oh, and today (you may not want to know alert)

Spoiler

The swelling has gone way down but the blood has spread across my sclera so that I have an eye that has a bright pale blue iris floating in what looks like a sea of dark red blood.

Reallllly spooky.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Did I miss/did you share--what happened to get your eye in this shape?

I don't think I'd take well to M.D. show-and-tell.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Yesterday in the ER a few students were brought through to look at my eye. One of the doctors took a picture to forward to the ophthalmologist.

Generally they’ve been pretty nice about asking me if it’s okay to share.

Oh, and today (you may not want to know alert)

Reveal hidden contents

The swelling has gone way down but the blood has spread across my sclera so that I have an eye that has a bright pale blue iris floating in what looks like a sea of dark red blood.

Reallllly spooky.

So you finally got turned into a vampire huh?

image.png.7afd98ff10ed1a8d7b5176eca2557b61.png

• Haha 8

6 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Did I miss/did you share--what happened to get your eye in this shape?

I don't think I'd take well to M.D. show-and-tell.

Yesterday my fingertip brushed against the corner of my eye as I sat working at the computer and rather than the usual mild unpleasantness of touch (ick alert)

Spoiler

a capillary or something seems to have burst under the surface of my eye and ballooned out into a frightening pocket of red over the left half of my eye (not the iris; my vision is fine). Yesterday I couldn’t properly close my eye. Today the swelling is reduced a bit but the dark red is spread across the entirety of my sclera.

Turns out it’s harmless and my eyes are okay, but the left one looks pretty terrifying.  It’s called a subconjunctival hemorrhage and I have gotten them before, except before they have been only tiny flat red spots that didn’t hurt much. 

So for a week until it heals I have a zombie* eye. Mwa ha ha.

*or vampire. I’m not choosy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 5

On 4/13/2018 at 11:14 AM, Morihalda said:

Metal/Gems/Fancy dice - I love my real opalite dice and my husband's synthetic tigerseye dice. The synthetic didn't have those hard bands of dark color twisting through - my husband wanted 100% glass reflective shiny. :lol: I used one of the pistol cases from Reaper's winter paints and lined it with felt for all my player/DMing needs. My husband used a picture frame and added felt as a protective surface for his dice and it's worked well. We've also considered making our own felt-lined dice towers but never got around to it.

Black Panther - oh goooodness. That movie was fantastic and amazing and had so many strong social points but honestly I kind of struggled to pay attention through the whole movie because who gave them the right to have THAT MANY GOOD LOOKING PEOPLE IN A SINGLE FILM.

I've used Foamboard lined with craft felt to make dice rolling trays and also a couple of Dice Towers.

A good quality craft glue and a roofers square to keep things square make things go together smoothly.  I also discovered that short shaft sewing pins make good "nails" for this material.

This technique makes for a lightweight and quiet box/tray for rolling, and will help to keep your dice from chipping/flaking.

If you make a "top" and a "bottom" you have a box to carry your dice in between games.  Use one side to roll in and the other to keep your dice in between rolls.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Glitterwolf said:

Pfft. First off, I don’t look half that good. Or dead, I meant dead.

Second, I did take pictures of my eye and YOU DON’T WANT ME TO SHOW THEM, TRUST ME.

• Haha 7
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Pfft. First off, I don’t look half that good. Or dead, I meant dead.

Second, I did take pictures of my eye and YOU DON’T WANT ME TO SHOW THEM, TRUST ME.

Ai. Don't scream. You scared me.

Ai no2: it really hurts just to read about your eye

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Although I will quote:

22 hours ago, Pingo said:

My husband kissed me and said “Your eyes, like limpid pools of Vitae.”

• Like 4
  • Sad 1