Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

10 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I think I'm all set...going to sleep now.

Sleep well! Best of luck tomorrow, oh most glittery of wolves!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sleep well, wolf, and good luck.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I received my Dad's ashes within the last year, previous to that they were with my aunt. But when she finally sent them to me they came in a box that is unsecured so I've had them sitting on a shelf in the living room for a while. I hope to get a proper urn this summer with Sibling's help. I spent some time looking at urns and cremation jewelry yesterday. Then I remembered that a friend had some of her dad's ashes put into a glass orb. So I spent a good chunk of yesterday looking at cremation glass art as well. It's not cheap. I want three pieces done, one for myself and one for each of my siblings. I have a friend from high school that does blown glass that's done this type of work before who I asked for a quote but he hasn't gotten back to me on that yet. Hoping to hear from him soon, also hoping that he's less expensive than the other place that was recommended to me. I'd love to be able to support my friend's art. If I did all the math right the place recommended to me would be over $500USD with shipping and cost of the pieces. If I weren't spending almost that much on bills and Bones in the near future it might be doable but I'm looking around. Anyway, sorry for the sad-ish ramble.

• Sad 9

Huh, the Books-a-Million that Megan used to work at has gotten rid of the 'Espresso' Print on Demand machine that she used to handle. ::(:

It probably didn't see much use, but I always liked knowing it was there, in case I ever wanted to make something a bit more permanent than three hole punched pages in a notebook.

*EDIT* Ours was one of only two when they started the experiment.

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

Ah, okay... that's why...

BaM! has linked to Infinity Publishing - a vanity press - and one with a freakin' ton of negative reviews.

The idea, when they started the Espresso program was that folks could come in with a PDF document, print, and bind it in the Espresso machine. Which was freakin' an awesome idea.

Now, just to enter your book into their system, you need to fork over $60... even if you only want to print copies for friends, families, and your fellow gamers. At $60 a pop....

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, SparrowMarie said:

I received my Dad's ashes within the last year, previous to that they were with my aunt. But when she finally sent them to me they came in a box that is unsecured so I've had them sitting on a shelf in the living room for a while. I hope to get a proper urn this summer with Sibling's help. I spent some time looking at urns and cremation jewelry yesterday. Then I remembered that a friend had some of her dad's ashes put into a glass orb. So I spent a good chunk of yesterday looking at cremation glass art as well. It's not cheap. I want three pieces done, one for myself and one for each of my siblings. I have a friend from high school that does blown glass that's done this type of work before who I asked for a quote but he hasn't gotten back to me on that yet. Hoping to hear from him soon, also hoping that he's less expensive than the other place that was recommended to me. I'd love to be able to support my friend's art. If I did all the math right the place recommended to me would be over $500USD with shipping and cost of the pieces. If I weren't spending almost that much on bills and Bones in the near future it might be doable but I'm looking around. Anyway, sorry for the sad-ish ramble.

@ SparrowMarie;

I don't know where you live, but COSTCO has a whole line of urns that are around 89.00 each, (for Humans) there is one with a 3 piece set that you might look at, and they ship free.  Just log on and search for urns.  Hope that helps.

Edited by Jasonator
Misinformation in text.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

WOW, I am STOKED !!!!

Just put in an hour painting two Tom Meirer  elf guards.

I usually don't paint on rainy days  (ouch); but today was

not a problem, and I made progress !

Sometimes its the simple things that matter.

• Like 10

Hooray for painting, @Jasonator! I've barely done any painting in months and finally got in a few solid hours this weekend and it was pretty great. I'm glad you got to enjoy some painting time too!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I am also curious about where to get one of these.  It almost looks Games Workshop based on how the guns look.

AHA, I FOUND IT!!! @Unruly: it's from the Grey Knights, and it's the "Nemesis Dread Knight".  Surprisingly, for Games Workshop, it's only three sprues worth of bits for one mini...  (If you search their store by using the "Unit Type Or Keyword:Vehicle" flags, it's the first one, at least on the Canadian site anyways)

3 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Yep, Warhammer 40k Grey Knights Nemesis Dreadknight. I like the options that it has, I'm going to use it for the escalation league despite all advice stating that more troops are better than one big one at the 250 point level. Can't use the Incinerator for this one, but We'll see in an hour how it goes.

Well, that just about guarantees I won't buy one. $55 for a single plastic figure that looks to be somewhere between 54 and 72mm tall is asking a bit much, even if it has a good number of extra bits. And that's despite how cool it looks, with its powered exoskeleton and shooty parts. Gotta be a bit frugal with my hobbies, yo. I haven't even dropped cash on any airbrush paints yet, despite eyeballing them like crazy.

Although I did buy a single bottle of black Spectra-Tex from Badger a month or two ago. It's going to be my practice paint, so I can learn how to control an airbrush by doing line and dot drills. But I got an idea for painting my frost giant with an airbrush, and from past experience I've learned that I apparently suck at properly thinning Reaper paints for airbrush use. So I have about $40 worth of Badger Minitaire paints that I want to buy. Or if I just wait a couple months I can drop like $180 and buy the whole range in one go...

And I just needlessly cut out a section of wall. It's a hidden wall, and a wetwall, so it's not a huge deal, but I've had a small leak for years now that I couldn't find. I swore it was up where the pipe for the shower head is, so I did research on cutting plaster without tearing out everything, I bought the necessary tools to do the job, and today I was finally able to cut myself some access. Only to find that I didn't even need to. Because when I triggered the leak, it turned out that it was in an area that was accessible by the already existing access panel. Now I'm mad that I just covered my bathroom in plaster dust for no reason. And I'm also mad because I have no idea how to fix this leak. It's a tub, and when you pull the thing to activate the shower head and turn off the main faucet, the faucet leaks at the base of the spout, which then runs down onto the overflow prevention drain, which then leaks around the edges. I'm guessing some seals have gone bad, but without doing a total overhaul where I replace everything I'm at a loss. Because I am not the family handyman type person.

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, TheAuldGrump said:

Huh, the Books-a-Million that Megan used to work at has gotten rid of the 'Espresso' Print on Demand machine that she used to handle. ::(:

It probably didn't see much use, but I always liked knowing it was there, in case I ever wanted to make something a bit more permanent than three hole punched pages in a notebook.

*EDIT* Ours was one of only two when they started the experiment.

The Auld Grump

I loved that machine. ::(:

At least a half dozen gamers brought in their own work to bind, and not just PDF.

But upper management had no clue on how to handle it, or even how to make sure people didn't print and bind other people's work.

So, not surprised, just disappointed.

And I do wish they had found a reliable company to link up with. I am sure that Infinity offered them what looked like the best deal on the surface, and that the suits in charge only looked at the surface.

Looking up Channel Awesome. I have a bad feeling.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Well, it would appear that I need to replace the tub faucet. I think. I took the faucet off, and noticed what looked to be a corrosion hole in the bottom of it. I replaced the pipe dope of where the faucet attached to the pipe, put the faucet back on, and as soon as I switched it to shower mode that corrosion hole started leaking, with the water running back to the base of the faucet, then down the tub wall to the overflow drain. I also need to get a new overflow drain gasket, because that's the entire problem in a nutshell. There doesn't appear to be an old one at all, which means it probably dry rotted away years ago, likely when my dad still owned the place, and until that corrosion hole opened up on the bottom of the faucet there was no issue. But now there is, and I'm an idiot who thought the leak was way higher up and more involved than it was. So it's been leaking for at least 3 years that I know of, and I haven't fixed it because it was both a small leak and I didn't have the tools to do what I thought needed done.

Hooray for ignorance!

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Pingo said:

The channel is a group effort with many shows. The most watched series was The Nostalgia Critic, and for me at least until Lindsay Ellis left the channel a few years ago, The Nostalgia Chick. I followed her away from the channel and love her new videos - and now I understand why she left. ::(: ::(: ::(: :down:

Explanatory video here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FvedKSaHCBQ

Wow, that has Beekeepers written all over it. :blink:

Ten years? Waiting for things to change?

That sounds more like an abusive relationship than a business.

• Like 4

@Unruly - you have my sympathies. I always used to be the handy person around the house, but I never really knew what I was doing with most stuff, which is why so many problems remain unsolved.

• Sad 3