Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

8 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Yep, Warhammer 40k Grey Knights Nemesis Dreadknight. I like the options that it has, I'm going to use it for the escalation league despite all advice stating that more troops are better than one big one at the 250 point level. Can't use the Incinerator for this one, but We'll see in an hour how it goes.

It's funny

but the first thing I thought about when I saw this thing, was that It reminded me of the the Mechanical Obliterators that I built back in 2003(?)...

mspopen_image.php?file=2107a.jpg&size=detail

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Unruly said:

Well, after drilling a few exploratory holes to make sure I wasn't going to cut into anything important, then cutting about a square foot out of a plaster wall, I realized that I didn't need to have cut that hole, because the problem was already accessible thanks to the actual access panel in that wall. Which then resulted in me taking the tub faucet apart and reapplying pipe dope in hopes of fixing it. But that led me to discover that the faucet is actually starting to corrode, because there's a small, rough hole in the bottom of it that shouldn't be there, and a couple other places where the finish is starting to bulge as if they're going to form holes soonish as well. That discovery led to my discovering that a vital gasket for leak prevention was missing from the overflow drain. Which then led to me driving half an hour away to go to the hardware store to buy a replacement, drive half an hour back, install the gasket, and test it.

It worked! And the disassembly of my tub faucet, the hole I cut in my plaster wall, and basically every step I took other than the $3 gasket was a waste of time, money, and effort. To top it all off, everything, and I do mean everything, in my bathroom is now coated in a layer of plaster dust. My filtration mask that I bought like 2 years ago for airbrushing came in very handy when I was taking the masonry disc to the plaster...

But now the leak is fixed. And I've wasted half of my day off on something that, if I'd known it was as simple as it was, could have been fixed with a 10 minute detour on my way home from work Saturday morning and then 10 minutes of actual work. Instead, it took me something like 3 hours. All because I had no idea what the hell I was doing.

"Experience"

It's what you get when you realize after the fact that you didn't get what you wanted the first time.

We've all been there and done that.

Chalk it up to a life lesson learned and enjoy the fact that it is no longer leaking.

>Rant mode ON<

Back in the day before the big box stores run by beancounters [ a pox upon their whole parsimonious race] swallowed up and drove out of business most of the local hardware stores you could go in and ask some gray haired/balding guy [or a lady who inevitably had a yellow number 2 pencil stuck in her hair, what he/she thought was going on with whatever hardware related problem you had.  Most of the time this knowledgeable person could use their experience to steer you in the right direction, saving you time and effort and making that store your go-to place for future problem advice and solutions.

Today you will find some 19 year old with a phone app that they may or may not be competent to operate trying to understand something in the real world that they've never dealt with hands on.  You may get some sketchy help, like as not you will be shunted down a rabbit hole that will require multiple trips back to the store and several hours of internet search and You Tube videos to get even marginally helpful advice and council.

When it all goes Wahoonie shaped we can deal with the lawyers after all the beancounters had had their turn up against the wall.

>Rant Mode OFF<

GEM

10 minutes ago, Unruly said:

It's a Dire Moose. Twice as poisonous, twice the size, and with thrice the fire breath.

And corrosive sticky slobber.

GEM

• Like 5

But now the leak is fixed. And I've wasted half of my day off on something that, if I'd known it was as simple as it was, could have been fixed with a 10 minute detour on my way home from work Saturday morning and then 10 minutes of actual work. Instead, it took me something like 3 hours. All because I had no idea what the hell I was doing.

You're looking at it the wrong way - you didn't waste time trying to fix the leak. What you did, in addition to diagnosing the source of the leak and fixing it, was to reveal the additional problem of your faucet being in the process of crapping out and needing replacement. If you had just replaced the gasket, you may never have noticed the faucet was on its way out, and sometime further down the road you'd have had to deal with the much larger consequences of the faucet dying. Knowing that there's an issue with the faucet and being able to fix it before it reaches catastrophic failure has saved you a whole lot of potential water damage.

On 4/14/2018 at 4:49 PM, Green Eyed Monster said:

A couple of generations ago one of the Einstein Class Ravens figured out how to open the lids on trash cans that weren't closed tightly and get to the goodies inside. 

We've had an issue around here on more than one occasion with the fact that nearly all the crows and ravens have figured out just where all the tasty McD's french fries come from, and have several times attempted to fly into the stores while people were holding the doors open...

On 4/14/2018 at 5:27 PM, Marvin said:

That's a bizarrely extreme reaction. There's a certain sort of folks, generally of an older generation, for whom beards are a marker of lower social standing. My dad is actually one them lol. It drives him nuts that both his sons wear facial hair, but he deals with it like a relatively normal person, I reckon.

When I came home with earrings though....

It may have had something to do with the fact the earrings were in your nipples.... ::D:

8 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

I remember my dad referring to stuff like Moviprep (Peg-Lyte for him) as "Kool-Aid flavoured Drano". :zombie:

That stuff will wash the sins out of your soul, lol...

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

You're looking at it the wrong way - you didn't waste time trying to fix the leak. What you did, in addition to diagnosing the source of the leak and fixing it, was to reveal the additional problem of your faucet being in the process of crapping out and needing replacement. If you had just replaced the gasket, you may never have noticed the faucet was on its way out, and sometime further down the road you'd have had to deal with the much larger consequences of the faucet dying. Knowing that there's an issue with the faucet and being able to fix it before it reaches catastrophic failure has saved you a whole lot of potential water damage.

Technically, from looking at replacements, it's a "spout" and not a "faucet," I guess because it protrudes horizontally. Or maybe because it doesn't include the handles. I dunno. All I know is that replacements are on the Lowe's website as "spouts" and not "faucets." But I'd better hope I never need to replace the handles, because it seems like it'd be cheaper to replace the whole tub. I can buy a Kohler or Delta all-metal replacement spout for about $20, but a pair of handles that match it will cost me like $200. Because apparently a freaking knob that slips overtop of an existing valve should cost a fortune.

But even if/when it does fail, it's in the tub right over the drain. Worst case scenario is that I lose the ability to use my shower head until it's replaced because the holes are behind the diverter. More likely is that I just lose water pressure to the shower head, because unless it totally blows out a huge section of metal, those pinholes aren't going to do a whole lot. Still worth spending $20 to fix though. I'll get to it in the next month or two.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 7

Well, crap. R. Lee Ermey died today.

SOUND OFF LIKE YOU GOT A PAIR!

Seems as good a time as any to share this clip from The Frighteners.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

GEM, I'm not sure what kind of strange time warp I live in, but not only do we have a local hardware store with odd parts, bits and bobs, but the big box hardware stores have a fair sampling of grey-haired gentlemen who are pretty helpful.  

I do also have a regular plumber, though.  Because this house has a bunch of really poorly done plumbing that likes to break unexpectedly.  And I don't want to deal with any more water damage than I absolutely have to.  

• Like 5

I've needed a plumber for months but keep putting it off. Got a broken seal in the main bath and both a clogged and leaky kitchen drain. x_x

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I've needed a plumber for months but keep putting it off. Got a broken seal in the main bath and both a clogged and leaky kitchen drain. x_x

So far repairing water damage has cost much more than the plumber.  There is so much more we should still do in terms of drywall repairs and replacing flooring.  :zombie:  Some day...

• Sad 4

I haven't had anything quite that bad here yet--knock on all the wood--though I did have the fiasco with tree roots grown into the septic line.

And I probably need a new roof.

Dang. Kinda getting depressed here now that I'm thinking about it lol.

• Like 2

HBO let John Oliver spend $7k on Russell Crowe's leather jockstrap from Cinderella Man. And also buy a bunch of other stuff at his "Art of Divorce" auction. You know what they're doing with it? They're sending it to the last remaining Blockbuster store in Anchorage, Alaska. They're doing this to turn that Blockbuster into a Planet Hollywood-type attraction so that it doesn't close.

This is on top of last year having bought 5 wax presidents just to film a movie trailer with them that was packed with A-list actors, and the year before that having built a giant train set to send to a Scranton, PA local news station. I have a hard time calling it trolling, but whatever it is it's being masterfully done.

• Like 9

HBO let John Oliver spend $7k on Russell Crowe's leather jockstrap from Cinderella Man. And also buy a bunch of other stuff at his "Art of Divorce" auction. You know what they're doing with it? They're sending it to the last remaining Blockbuster store in Anchorage, Alaska. They're doing this to turn that Blockbuster into a Planet Hollywood-type attraction so that it doesn't close.

This is on top of last year having bought 5 wax presidents just to film a movie trailer with them that was packed with A-list actors, and the year before that having built a giant train set to send to a Scranton, PA local news station. I have a hard time calling it trolling, but whatever it is it's being masterfully done.

John Oliver is King of the Trolls, and I love him for it. 

Seriously, just google "John Oliver Bunny Book". The topic is kinda waspnesty.... so I certainly hope you find as much amazing humor in this trolling as I do. 

• Like 4

Objection: On behalf of the trolls, we have not a king but a God Emperor. Even to speak his name is to cast the world into flames.

• Haha 8

50 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

John Oliver is King of the Trolls, and I love him for it. 

Seriously, just google "John Oliver Bunny Book". The topic is kinda waspnesty.... so I certainly hope you find as much amazing humor in this trolling as I do. 

Oh, I'm well aware of Marlon Bundo.

Last Week Tonight is one of the big reasons why I signed up for HBO Now. Because I don't have cable, the Colbert Report is done and over, and while Trevor Noah isn't terrible he's still no Jon Stewart. So I needed something to fill the gap of satirical news in my life.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

......Uh oh.  No.  No. NOOO.  NO BRAIN.  BAD BRAIN!

...A Space Marine like chapter... That I like just as much as the Space Wolves when their plastic kits first became available...

I already have two 40k armies that still need paint, and some assembly.  I don't need even more...  But man oh man, are their IN YOUR FACE WITH SWORDS attitudes appealing to me.  Yes, I like close ranged combat, is it obvious? ^_^   ...I also have a Skaven army that will take me quite some time to work out, even more so since I plan on pretty much doubling the size of it....

Oh, and did I mention that EVERY Grey Knight is a psyker? :devil:

First day of escalation league finally done. Five battles, five wins. I am currently undefeated and in the lead. I honestly didn't expect any victories today, but apparently my nemesis dreadknight is quite the juggernaut.

• Like 6