Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

On 4/15/2018 at 2:15 AM, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

My 250 point army has finally been assembled:

20180414_201752.thumb.jpg.a4fb30a30d75c88736e0100c035b8776.jpg

So let me get this straight...

There is a genetically modified, bio-enhanced Hooman, wearing an armored high tech battle suit, which is in turn strapped into a... giant mechanized armored two armed, two legged battle vehicle ...which carries stupidly huge, asymmetric, out of balance guns, and a hammer the size of a Volkswagen, while standing on a pair of three toed mechanical chicken feet.

Am I missing anything..?

• Haha 16

12 minutes ago, TGP said:

So let me get this straight...

There is a genetically modified, bio-enhanced Hooman, wearing an armored high tech battle suit, which is in turn strapped into a... giant mechanized armored two armed, two legged battle vehicle ...which carries stupidly huge, asymmetric, out of balance guns, and a hammer the size of a Volkswagen, while standing on a pair of three toed mechanical chicken feet.

Am I missing anything..?

He's also psychic.

• Haha 12

1 hour ago, Dai-Mongar said:

He's also psychic.

:upside:

What, no facepalm smiley?

Edited by TGP
  • Haha 7

Hi, I'm baaaack!!!! Fun was had, warmth and sunshine were enjoyed (although not brought back  home, sadly), and money was spent.

I'll be skimming through the thread to catch up, but are there any highlights I should be aware of?

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Hi, I'm baaaack!!!! Fun was had, warmth and sunshine were enjoyed (although not brought back  home, sadly), and money was spent.

I'll be skimming through the thread to catch up, but are there any highlights I should be aware of?

Colonoscopies, beards, and mechanical chicken feet.

No, that's not the title of the upcoming new randomness thread.

• Haha 10
  • Sad 2

Once again I wish I could remember more of my dreams.

Last night's had an intelligent zombie trying to take over a cult, but they weren't impressed by his apparent immortality because they already worshipped a giant octopus-spider-plant lady.

I also want a model of a giant octopus-spider-plant lady.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Lettuce gets E coli from local cow turds in the irrigation water, from improperly treated fertilizer, or from people in the packing plant not washing their hands.

Lettuce picks up E coli really easily because lettuce is capable of just uptaking the E coli from turd-ed water. Sucks it right in.

Basically, turds.

[/stuff you never wanted to know]

And this is why I stick to meat whenever possible!!

2 minutes ago, eldamir said:

And this is why I stick to meat whenever possible!!

Oh wait... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

<snip>

>Rant mode ON<

Back in the day before the big box stores run by beancounters [ a pox upon their whole parsimonious race] swallowed up and drove out of business most of the local hardware stores you could go in and ask some gray haired/balding guy [or a lady who inevitably had a yellow number 2 pencil stuck in her hair, what he/she thought was going on with whatever hardware related problem you had.  Most of the time this knowledgeable person could use their experience to steer you in the right direction, saving you time and effort and making that store your go-to place for future problem advice and solutions.

Today you will find some 19 year old with a phone app that they may or may not be competent to operate trying to understand something in the real world that they've never dealt with hands on.  You may get some sketchy help, like as not you will be shunted down a rabbit hole that will require multiple trips back to the store and several hours of internet search and You Tube videos to get even marginally helpful advice and council.

When it all goes Wahoonie shaped we can deal with the lawyers after all the beancounters had had their turn up against the wall.

>Rant Mode OFF<

It's hard to remember now, but for a long time, Home Depot's hiring policy was to hire experts. If they needed someone for the electrical section, they'd hire an electrician, for example. It was great for those folks who'd sustained an injury that made it hard to actually do the trade any more (e.g. an electrician friend of mine who'd wrecked a knee and couldn't kneel down as much as he needed to for the commercial electrical stuff he used to do) but obviously still had all the knowledge. When they first moved into Ottawa, there was a lot of grumbling about evil big box stores, then everyone realised that if you needed advice, the stuffy old hardware stores might be able to help you, but Home Depot would have 3 people there who knew every detail of the job and could explain different options based on what exactly you were doing, what tools you had available, etc. Basically, if you wanted to talk to people who knew, HD was the place to go.

Then their genius CEO realised they could cut HR costs significantly by replacing the experts with high school kids. :down: 

I'm not positive, but I believe this was around the same time Circuit City realised they could fire all their overpaid employees and replace them with minimum-wage monkeys... which was the point at which Circuit City went from being a big deal to being a vague and frustrating memory.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Finally caught up with this thread after Saturday's birthday whirlwind for the daughter, along with an unexpected work stint in the high bay putting on vehicle cover. Just in time for Monday! Yay.... er, ay?

I have so much to comment on over the past three days... none of which I remember. Huh.

Well, I guess I can at least wish @Glitterwolf happy Meat Monday. Knowing him, his dinner tonight should be rather spectacular.

• Like 8

Awwwww, one of my main old cell phones that had been repurposed into a BOINC rig bulged heavily last night, which isn't a good thing, and poses a safety risk.  Looking at its history though, it earned 529k credits in POGS, which doesn't sound like much until you realize its been earning an average of 1,669 credits per day, and has been doing this for a little over a year.  Oh, and I've only done 720k credit on my gaming rig (not that I've been running it recently on said gaming rig as I usually do cancer research ones). 

Written in a different way, I've been running POGS for a few years now... Almost three quarters of the credit I've earned has been through old phones. 

Thankfully it wasn't either of the World Community Grid phones (hubby's old phone, and my old old phone), but it still sucks, because now I have to set up my backup alarm clock on hubby's old phone as my old one is being unplugged and fully retired (aka wiped to factory state and then recycled). 

Pity it can't be retired to the stars, which it spent its last year of life researching. ^_^

EDIT: Just to add in....  Looks like my percentages were off a tad.  Total credits for work done is about 1,757,575 credits, and 1,047,667 has been done on a phone....  Or 59.6% overall....  30% of my credited help with research was done by that phone o_O

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 8

♪ Jeepers creepers, Nosferatu peepers ...♩

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

12 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I'm more of a Jacob guy anyways.  The things I could say, but instead I'll just say I wish my chest had abs like that! 

Also, werewolves are better than vampires, especially sparkle vampires. 

you mean fairies, right?

11 hours ago, Unruly said:

Upside is that I have some new tools that I can use for all sorts of stuff.

And new skills and knowledge!

I kinda miss being handy around the house. I'd reached the stage of home ownership where I was willing to say "elf it" watch some YouTube videos, and hit the hardware store... Then deal with the inevitable consequences... :lol:

Got totally soaked on the way into work... starting to dry out... Still very moist, but no longer dripping.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2