Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

4 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

The Warhammer 40,000 universe is powered by grimdark rather than physics.

And lit by flashlights.  Flashlights and bolters. 

For those who don't play, flashlight = lasgun, aka the least powerful weapon in the game, and what pretty much every member of the Imperial Guard gets.... There are mobs that are immune to the weaponry general infantry carry, which is why the giant mob of regular normal humans with terrible guns is always accompanied by just as many in heavy weapons squads (which have, as one would assume, heavy weapons) and of course tanks. 

Also don't forget that the sexier a model is, it's probably more expensive.  Points in game expensive, as well as to your wallet expensive (like the Baneblade tank, arguably the most powerful non forgeworld tank, which costs $170 CAD for a single one, isn't perfect grade, has eight billion mold seams you have to clean up, and then comes in eighteen million pieces so takes forever to assemble) 

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Sorry to hear that. 
It's a pain in the broccoli.   When I get mad at my mom, dad or sister or they get mad at me, we get over it pretty quick.  With her and her parents, it can stew for years. She and her dad stopped talking shortly after we started dating, and didn't talk again until our son was born five years later.  He even returned our wedding invitation. 
They had started repairing their relationship in the last 7-8 years, bonding over, of all things, stained glass. But then stuff like this happens, and I have to help her be the bigger person when what I really want to do is tell him to stuff it once and for all. 

In my family it seems we have two personalities. Those who are calm and almost never get mad but if they do it's practically forever. And those who get mad at almost everything and stay mad almost forever. I've done my best to isolate myself from the second group and stay friendly with the first(which to be honest I'm a part of). I've been in the situation where I literally had to sit on my dad to keep him from doing something nasty to a couple of my cousins when what I really wanted to do was help him hurt them. But the small pleasure that would have given wasn't worth the legal consequences.

10 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Oh gawds, I remember those.  Footage was brutal looking, half the pips on the base were flown out there (along with some of the air force guys too), and in general it was a big case of "not pretty" until it was cleaned up and things restored to normal. 

Edit: for those who don't know military slang (especially Canadian military slang) "pips" refers to Princess Patricia's Light Infantry.  It's a "playful" comment from other branches of the military.  Just don't call them pipsqueaks to their faces, they dun like that, especially from air force brats... 

My dad had an uncle that was in the PPCLI. He was a zombie (draftee) bren gunner at the end of WW2. He claimed that he never saw combat but was with them from March '45 and then part of the garrison for a long time in Holland after the war ended.

8 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

The Warhammer 40,000 universe is powered by grimdark rather than physics.

Or logic. The rule of cool is almighty. I really wanted a Grey Knights force when they first came out. But it's been 10 years or more since the last time I touched any of my 40k stuff. Think about digging it out sometimes but want to work on my many fantasy armies that I occasionally play with first. I started with 40k back in the Rogue Trader days and have some of the original beakie marines, space orks and squats along with newer stuff up to 3rd ed.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

And lit by flashlights.  Flashlights and bolters. 

For those who don't play, flashlight = lasgun, aka the least powerful weapon in the game, and what pretty much every member of the Imperial Guard gets.... There are mobs that are immune to the weaponry general infantry carry, which is why the giant mob of regular normal humans with terrible guns is always accompanied by just as many in heavy weapons squads (which have, as one would assume, heavy weapons) and of course tanks. 

Also don't forget that the sexier a model is, it's probably more expensive.  Points in game expensive, as well as to your wallet expensive (like the Baneblade tank, arguably the most powerful non forgeworld tank, which costs $170 CAD for a single one, isn't perfect grade, has eight billion mold seams you have to clean up, and then comes in eighteen million pieces so takes forever to assemble) 

Forgeworld is Pay-To-Win. :blues:

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

They're not the only ones. The weather is simply awful this month.

It's bad enough that schools are shutting down. Despite being in Canada, snow days in April are almost unheard off.

I remember snow days being unheard of when I was a child because you could potentially freeze to death if your parents missed the memo and sent you to school.  We did have "inside days" where we weren't allowed outside at lunch or recess, a month of that was a good way to learn the definition of "cabin fever".  

Out here on the wet coast we've just had rain.  Lots and lots of rain.  Last week there was one day where we had more rain than we normally get for the entire month of April.  It is still raining.  No major floods or landslides, though, so YAY!  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Sorry to hear that. 
It's a pain in the broccoli.   When I get mad at my mom, dad or sister or they get mad at me, we get over it pretty quick.  With her and her parents, it can stew for years. She and her dad stopped talking shortly after we started dating, and didn't talk again until our son was born five years later.  He even returned our wedding invitation. 
They had started repairing their relationship in the last 7-8 years, bonding over, of all things, stained glass. But then stuff like this happens, and I have to help her be the bigger person when what I really want to do is tell him to stuff it once and for all. 

Dude, let's start a club or something.

My wife's at least on good terms with her parents, she's a devoted daughter to a fault, but it's actually kind of not that great in that they've used their relationship with her to help further the wedge that's developed in our marriage. Kinda sucks. But that's awesome separate sort of garbage I reckon.

My family ttly makes up quickly after our rows, and it's delightful. We get broccoliy and mean sometimes, but, I mean, you know. Humans and all. My wife makes a big deal about how I grew up in a house in which people would yell, and she just didn't, etc., and I'm just like, LOL, because 1) they totally yell too but 2) the endless resentments and conniving and emotional blackmail and passive-aggressive bullbroccoli is maddening.

I'd like to tell stories--there's  fresh new drama this week involving four generations of them all now--but that'd probably be a little uninteresting for everyone but me lol. But it's always something nutty. My in-laws literally change their will with some amount of frequency to reflect which children are in good favor and which are not; this always has seemed to me the perfect encapsulation of the kind of people/family/crazy they are.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

4 hours ago, canuckotter said:

I just finished clearing the ice off (most of) my car. On the east side, there was a solid half inch of ice. Not joking. It was thicker in some places.

I had to clear ice off my car this morning too, but nothing like that.

Happy spring!

1 hour ago, Crowley said:

According to my tracking sheet, at my current rate, it'll be a quarter century to paint all my unpainted minis that I have tracked. That doesn't count Bones IV... Or a bunch of minis that haven't made it into the sheet yet...

Or the ones you haven't bought yet....::D:

11 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Forgeworld is Pay-To-Win. :blues:

The entire game has been like that for the past several editions from what I've heard/experienced.

Eighth ed. has gotten away from that at least a little bit.

Again, from what I hear. I certainly hope so, anyway.

....and all caught up. For a while, anyhow.

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Oh gawds, I remember those.  Footage was brutal looking, half the pips on the base were flown out there (along with some of the air force guys too), and in general it was a big case of "not pretty" until it was cleaned up and things restored to normal. 

Edit: for those who don't know military slang (especially Canadian military slang) "pips" refers to Princess Patricia's Light Infantry.  It's a "playful" comment from other branches of the military.  Just don't call them pipsqueaks to their faces, they dun like that, especially from air force brats... 

True story: I never knew why the Van Doos were called that, until I was running in the Army Run a few years back and the 22e was running it and at one of the points where the course doubled back on itself, one of the people near me saw a bunch of 22e running the other way and tried to yell out "vignt-deux!" only he had a terrible accent and it came out "van duh!" and I wanted to slap my forehead because it suddenly made sense.

... which is totally related because, IIRC, the Princess Pats were the other unit that was represented in the race. Also it's a story about military slang. Yeah. It's not that I got distracted by a shiny object mid-thought... :unsure: 

(Also, I think my grandfather served in the Princess Pats in WWII... Could be wrong though. He had some great stories from the war, including a hilarious story about storming the beach on D-Day... but he left out a lot of details, and he didn't tell us about all the things that even he couldn't find a good story in.)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

okay Adventures in Dentistry are over 

root canal hurt less than I had heard, but left me cranky all day. 

Then today went back in for a crown - there was a lot of filing the edges and applying bonding epoxy. 

It made me want to go home and assemble Minis.  Or ad least do some fancy basing.  I have a couple of Kingdom Death villains that need gap filling and checking for lines.   It does make me kind of ashamed by my - close enough ill fix that seal with greenstuff / varnish 

Or I could build another survivor with gear from the 1 expanision I bought.  

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 6

My father in law was in the Airborne, so I started to pick up some of the slang.  Mostly I heard drunk and disorderly stories because Airborne.  :rolleyes:

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, canuckotter said:

True story: I never knew why the Van Doos were called that, until I was running in the Army Run a few years back and the 22e was running it and at one of the points where the course doubled back on itself, one of the people near me saw a bunch of 22e running the other way and tried to yell out "vignt-deux!" only he had a terrible accent and it came out "van duh!" and I wanted to slap my forehead because it suddenly made sense.

... which is totally related because, IIRC, the Princess Pats were the other unit that was represented in the race. Also it's a story about military slang. Yeah. It's not that I got distracted by a shiny object mid-thought... :unsure: 

(Also, I think my grandfather served in the Princess Pats in WWII... Could be wrong though. He had some great stories from the war, including a hilarious story about storming the beach on D-Day... but he left out a lot of details, and he didn't tell us about all the things that even he couldn't find a good story in.)

I read a lot of military history, especially canadian history and didn't know that about the Van Doos. Always wondered because I knew they were a french regiment. My dad was a bit too young to join up in WW2 but the veterans were his heroes. Most of the war stories I heard growing up were from what they told him. The couple that still lived close to us when I was a kid weren't the talkative types.

• Like 6

Feh. The most important thing I have to do today involves sitting at my computer for most of the day, but it's raining out which is killing my knees when I leave them in the same position for awhile.

• Sad 3

58 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

Or the ones you haven't bought yet....::D:

Well, yeah.... Obviously! Except for the ones I have added and just set the total owned to 0 (for now).

22 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

image.png.d5bbb753863aa9e907b2a2b422249755.png

9 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

About 33 more pages, give or take a few posts.

Unless froggy gets an itchy trigger finger...

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Okay, I've a new least-favorite Reaper mini: 03644 Young Skeletal Dragon. It's a minor miracle I didn't just glue myself to myself getting those legs attached. x_x

• Like 1
  • Haha 3