Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

After a lot of research I've determined that that amazing life plan works better still without the writing.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I'm eating a box of Teddy Grahams, drinking Fanta Orange soda and listening to G'N'R's Welcome To The Jungle... What year is this?  ::D:

• Haha 12

11 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Okay, I've a new least-favorite Reaper mini: 03644 Young Skeletal Dragon. It's a minor miracle I didn't just glue myself to myself getting those legs attached. x_x

I don't know whether to laugh or sympathize.  But it sums up why I normally only use gel style super glue.  

I'm not feeling terribly productive today.  I mean, I did drag three daughters out of bed and get them off to school, and I did buy a bunch of groceries and run the dishwasher, so I could just call it good enough and coast for the rest of the day.  But I'd like to do something fun and now I'm tired.  <_<  

• Like 11

15 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

GEM, I'm not sure what kind of strange time warp I live in, but not only do we have a local hardware store with odd parts, bits and bobs, but the big box hardware stores have a fair sampling of grey-haired gentlemen who are pretty helpful.  

I do also have a regular plumber, though.  Because this house has a bunch of really poorly done plumbing that likes to break unexpectedly.  And I don't want to deal with any more water damage than I absolutely have to.  

@LittleBluberry consider yourself exceedingly fortunate.

Our closest Real Hardware Store is over 40 miles away [on the other side of the mountains], and bear in mind that our tri-city area has an aggregate population north of 300,000 people.  Home Despot and Slowes have succeeded in running all the mom and pop shops out of business,  We have an OSH about 12 miles away and a Tru-Value [very small] down the street from the OSH.

The nearest HD used to have a couple of experienced hardware men who were on top of things but they are now gone, replaced by post-pubescent boys and girls who are eager but basically helpless without their phone apps.

GEM

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

Forgeworld is Pay-To-Win. :blues:

Sadly, it sure feels that way.  But boy, are some of their models gorgeous.... 

1 hour ago, canuckotter said:

True story: I never knew why the Van Doos were called that, until I was running in the Army Run a few years back and the 22e was running it and at one of the points where the course doubled back on itself, one of the people near me saw a bunch of 22e running the other way and tried to yell out "vignt-deux!" only he had a terrible accent and it came out "van duh!" and I wanted to slap my forehead because it suddenly made sense.

... which is totally related because, IIRC, the Princess Pats were the other unit that was represented in the race. Also it's a story about military slang. Yeah. It's not that I got distracted by a shiny object mid-thought... :unsure: 

(Also, I think my grandfather served in the Princess Pats in WWII... Could be wrong though. He had some great stories from the war, including a hilarious story about storming the beach on D-Day... but he left out a lot of details, and he didn't tell us about all the things that even he couldn't find a good story in.)

Oh, I wouldn't doubt it if my family had history with them in WW2 as well....  As a wee lil air force brat and I was all "how dare they try and take over our glorious base!" when CFB Calgary was moved up to Edmonton.  Armoured guys were cool the Pips... Ah unno.  They weren't all that talkative. 

But I grew up around "fear the wrath of the goose, you can keep it at bay with a beer" statements, so....  Still love how many of the geese were rather proud about being better shots than most of the ground sloggers... 

1 hour ago, LittleBluberry said:

My father in law was in the Airborne, so I started to pick up some of the slang.  Mostly I heard drunk and disorderly stories because Airborne.  :rolleyes:

Ohhhhh man, I miss those guys.  Main base I grew up on was one of the main Airborne ones.  Ran their "small" obstacle course (well, as best I could at age 7), and if that whole stuff hadn't happened to them in the early '90's I would have gotten to run the BIG TALL FUN obstacle course, with the nice and tall rope climb bit - oh, and the drop simulation hills, which were glorified ziplines...  Dad wouldn't let me at age 7, and the airborne guys were all "yeah, we're not messing with his dad to get him to say yes", probably because he helped them out with this and that because that's what neighbours did on a base ^_^ ... That and if I got hurt on it.  I suspect they didn't want to have to explain broken bones or the like to the guy who repaired the aircraft that got them in and out of places. 

1 hour ago, Zink said:

I read a lot of military history, especially canadian history and didn't know that about the Van Doos. Always wondered because I knew they were a french regiment. My dad was a bit too young to join up in WW2 but the veterans were his heroes. Most of the war stories I heard growing up were from what they told him. The couple that still lived close to us when I was a kid weren't the talkative types.

I didn't even know about the Van Doos either ^_^;;;;;;

27 minutes ago, NebulousMissy said:

I don't wanna go to work. I wanna stay home and write and not wear pants.

Sounds like today for me.  I wore pants only because of the winds and snow...  Otherwise it would have been all about the shorts!  Yes, shorts in 2C weather.  No, I'm not insane... 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Sounds like today for me.  I wore pants only because of the winds and snow...  Otherwise it would have been all about the shorts!  Yes, shorts in 2C weather.  No, I'm not insane... 

I got up and got dressed to go to a Dentist's appointment today.  Got ready to leave, and noticed that appointment is NEXT week. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Sympathies for those experiencing the Ice Dump.

Today we have "gusting" winds [60 mph+] strong enough that I'm expecting to see a hatchet faced woman dressed all in black doing aerobatics on a bicycle.

GEM

• Like 4

Just now, TheAuldGrump said:

Just got word from my good lady wife - the landlord was showing the building this morning.

Never a harbinger of good tidings.

The Auld Grump

Good Luck, and make sure your Lease is in Good Order and Ironclad.

GEM

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Good Luck, and make sure your Lease is in Good Order and Ironclad.

GEM

It's up in three months.

The Auld Grump - I'd wondered why two of the apartments had been left vacant.

• Sad 9

So what are some of the tourist traps, I mean interesting sight-seeing things to do along i-80 going through Nebraska?  

Since we don't have to visit my in-laws this trip, we've decided to take the extra day afford to us and stop frequently along the way to see some of them. 

I know there is a small military vehicle museum near Cozad or Lexington, and some pioneer museum on a bridge over the highway. 

1 minute ago, TheAuldGrump said:

It's up in three months.

The Auld Grump - I'd wondered why two of the apartments had been left vacant.

Ugh.  I'd either see about getting it renewed now, or plan on moving. 

• Like 4