Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

1 minute ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

Good Luck, and make sure your Lease is in Good Order and Ironclad.

GEM

It's up in three months.

The Auld Grump - I'd wondered why two of the apartments had been left vacant.

• Sad 9

So what are some of the tourist traps, I mean interesting sight-seeing things to do along i-80 going through Nebraska?  

Since we don't have to visit my in-laws this trip, we've decided to take the extra day afford to us and stop frequently along the way to see some of them. 

I know there is a small military vehicle museum near Cozad or Lexington, and some pioneer museum on a bridge over the highway. 

1 minute ago, TheAuldGrump said:

It's up in three months.

The Auld Grump - I'd wondered why two of the apartments had been left vacant.

Ugh.  I'd either see about getting it renewed now, or plan on moving. 

• Like 4

On the earlier topic of 40k being run by grimdark kind of standards...  At least power levels aren't like in Pokémon, where cutest and seemingly tiniest is an indication of what is the most powerful.... 

• Like 6

Hua... unexpected good news. The insurance company apparently never heard that I sold the house, and sent me a bill. I called them and told them my house... isn't mine anymore. I'm getting a refund! :lol:  It won't be big... but I'll take what I can get. 

• Like 13

7 hours ago, kristof65 said:

Ugh. Irritated with the in-laws today. 

My wife told her parents when we would be visiting Colorado in July AND asked if we could stay with them first and/or last nights of our trip when she was out there a few weeks ago. They seemed agreeable to this.  I mentioned that to my sister in law this weekend when she was helping us arrange hotel accommodations for the remainder of the trip. 

So my brother and sister in law were at their parents house yesterday, and mentioned that.  Today, my wife's dad calls up and is mad at her because a) we assumed we could stay with them and b) they will be out of town that week for their own vacation. 

OK, so maybe they forgot about my wife's conversation with them about staying with them. That's not a big deal - the only reason we talked about that is because they live on the way/in out of our drive to Colorado and it would mean more time to see them.  But the date range of our trip was established at Christmas time, at which time they were excited about our visit.  Which means that they very likely forgot when we were coming out when they booked their own trip. That stuff happens, especially as people get older. 

His getting mad about it and taking it out on his daughter over his own memory lapses means that now my wife is all pissed off herself, and doesn't want to go to Colorado at all. 

Speaking from unfortunate experience, that is a long and slippery slope.  my Mother in law has been sinking slowly into paranoid dementia for the last decade.  She forgets, then gets upset about forgetting, then blames someone else to make it not her problem.  worst part is the paranoia and blame shifting is part of the disease.  Even a person who was perfectly forgiving in their previous life can become a monster, someone already pointed in that direction...

Only part I'm pointing out is that you may not want to burn that bridge.   

2 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

I don't wanna go to work. I wanna stay home and write and not wear pants.

I hear wearing a dress to work can be very refreshing.  for my gender and job it can also be all kinds of exciting and entertaining

2 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

I don't know whether to laugh or sympathize.  But it sums up why I normally only use gel style super glue.  

I'm not feeling terribly productive today.  I mean, I did drag three daughters out of bed and get them off to school, and I did buy a bunch of groceries and run the dishwasher, so I could just call it good enough and coast for the rest of the day.  But I'd like to do something fun and now I'm tired.  <_<  

Care to trade jobs for a week or two? I would really love to just care about things I understand and have relative control over for a while. 

2 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

@LittleBluberry consider yourself exceedingly fortunate.

Our closest Real Hardware Store is over 40 miles away [on the other side of the mountains], and bear in mind that our tri-city area has an aggregate population north of 300,000 people.  Home Despot and Slowes have succeeded in running all the mom and pop shops out of business,  We have an OSH about 12 miles away and a Tru-Value [very small] down the street from the OSH.

The nearest HD used to have a couple of experienced hardware men who were on top of things but they are now gone, replaced by post-pubescent boys and girls who are eager but basically helpless without their phone apps.

GEM

We have pretty good luck with that.  HD is a total loss but we have a local hardware store and Lowes isnt too bad.  For real bonus points, we have a NAPA auto store in town that can actually provide insight, help and other things related to car.

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

So what are some of the tourist traps, I mean interesting sight-seeing things to do along i-80 going through Nebraska?  

Since we don't have to visit my in-laws this trip, we've decided to take the extra day afford to us and stop frequently along the way to see some of them. 

I know there is a small military vehicle museum near Cozad or Lexington, and some pioneer museum on a bridge over the highway. 

Corn?

I have done that drive, its not the most exciting trip I have ever been on.  Slightly more interesting than watching paint dry, but not by much. (the wall kind, not minis)  Hope someone else can give you better sights, the only thing that saved me was a good audio book

• Like 7

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

Ugh.  I'd either see about getting it renewed now, or plan on moving. 

@kristof65  Made that drive last year.

Most interesting thing along I-80 in Nebraska [as I recall] was watching for the next Wall Drug Billboard.  Once you get into South Dakota things get significantly more interesting.

GEM

• Like 1

We finally got some time today and went and saw Black Panther. SO GOOD. Then we picked up lunch and stopped by the pharmacy. So overall a good day. Tomorrow and the rest of this week probably won't be so good. Also, I got a hair cut Friday. It's shorter than I wanted it and the side I left longish, comparatively, has a section that's longer than the rest so I'll need to find some good scissors and very carefully fix that. 

• Like 8

Me: “How’s my eye look?”

Eldest: “Patient Zero.”

• Haha 16
  • Sad 1

Kali seems a bit torn between grooming my beard and watching (and chattering at) the birds on the feeder I put up outside the window at the head of my bed at the moment. As long as she doesn't hurt herself lunging at the birds

on the other side of the window the feeder will stay there as it

gives her some mental stimulation. 

And

Just saw that Harry Anderson died this morning. :down:

Edited by FaekiasDracon
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Care to trade jobs for a week or two? I would really love to just care about things I understand and have relative control over for a while. 

Teenaged daughter, pre-Teen daughter, elementary school daughter.  Trust me, my job doesn't make sense and is out of my control plenty of the time.  ::P: 

• Haha 12

7 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

Teenaged daughter, pre-Teen daughter, elementary school daughter.  Trust me, my job doesn't make sense and is out of my control plenty of the time.  ::P: 

Do you feel an overabundance of control? ::P:

• Haha 8

28 minutes ago, FaekiasDracon said:

Kali seems a bit torn between grooming my beard and watching (and chattering at) the birds on the feeder I put up outside the window at the head of my bed at the moment. As long as she doesn't hurt herself lunging at the birds

on the other side of the window the feeder will stay there as it

gives her some mental stimulation. 

And

Just saw that Harry Anderson died this morning. :down:

:blink: What? Nooooo! :down:

• Like 3