Froggy the Great

Randomness XIII: Cognitive Dissonance While You Wait

1 minute ago, Crowley said:

I'm curious what the final decision was?

It involved long sleeves, thicker fabric, possible turtleneck and "meow".  

Seriously, "meow" has become a common answer to many questions I ask.  Some of these questions are yes/no questions.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

@kristof65  Made that drive last year.

Most interesting thing along I-80 in Nebraska [as I recall] was watching for the next Wall Drug Billboard.  Once you get into South Dakota things get significantly more interesting.

GEM

Wall Drug is on I-90, but the trip through Nebraska on I80 is of a similarly mind-numbing nature.. except that as you get closer to Colorado, it's the Rockies getting  bigger in front of you instead of the Black Hills.

Google has a few things that it recommends along the route , but having driving that stretch several times, I don't recall seeing a single one of them along the way.. lol

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

Seriously, "meow" has become a common answer to many questions I ask.  Some of these questions are yes/no questions.  

And my wife thinks girls are easier to handle than boys. I have 4 nieces and many female cousins. I still remember their teenage years. We'll see how she handles it when our daughter gets bigger. She's only 7 months right now and most of her issues are easily solved by sticking something in one end and/or cleaning the other. Every once in awhile the baby has big mood swings from laughing to cranky and back in minutes. When the wife asks what's wrong she doesn't like my standard reply, "she's female!" ::P: I love girls, I really do. I just don't waste a lot of time trying to figure out what mood they're in or how to fix it. It makes my head hurt and I'm usually not quick enough to keep up with the changes.

• Haha 9

3 minutes ago, eldamir said:

Wall Drug is on I-90, but the trip through Nebraska on I80 is of a similarly mind-numbing nature.. except that as you get closer to Colorado, it's the Rockies getting  bigger in front of you instead of the Black Hills.

Google has a few things that it recommends along the route , but having driving that stretch several times, I don't recall seeing a single one of them along the way.. lol

>Facepalm<  You're right.

After you've made the cross country trek "too many times" on/in everything from 2 wheels to 18 wheels that part of the country sorta blurs into one long slab of concrete with green "things" growing [seasonally dependent, green being preferable to the grey/white scenery] on either hand.

GEM

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Pingo said:

Okay, why was the first hit on my Google search for “Chordata” the Wikipedia page in Tagalog?

(I think this is Tagalog.)

https://war.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chordata

This:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chordate

might be a tad easier for most of the users of this forum to comprehend.

GEM

• Like 2

Husband is off the the baseball game! I'm binge watching tv and about to start doing some hobby stuff. It'll hopefully be a quiet evening.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Marvin said:

Throw in a Pizza Hut arcade and we're getting awfully close to my ~1994 or so.

Yeah, pretty much...  I was in my freshman year of high school when Appetite for Destruction came out in '87...

I was wearing flannel and spikes and a bandana on my head, and would have had hair down to my elf if I hadn't been in a Catholic High school with a dress code...

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

Laugh.

Always laugh.

And the more it hurts, the harder you laugh.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, kristof65 said:

So what are some of the tourist traps, I mean interesting sight-seeing things to do along i-80 going through Nebraska?  

Since we don't have to visit my in-laws this trip, we've decided to take the extra day afford to us and stop frequently along the way to see some of them. 

I know there is a small military vehicle museum near Cozad or Lexington, and some pioneer museum on a bridge over the highway. 

Well, if you want to stop in the "Big O", there's the Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium that will kill a few hours.

Just to the North of that are the Lauritzen Gardens.  It's nice to walk through the greenhouse and stroll the gardens, but it's not going to be a quick thing.

If you're into camping and hunting, there's a Cabella's just off I-80.

I've never been there, but the wife and eldest sometimes go to the Nebraska Crossing outlet mall outside of Gretna.

The Holy Family Shrine looks beautiful, but I've never stopped through there.  I'd love to be able to take some pictures there, and I hear it's just fantastic to see at night.  I'm not sure what access is like.

Further West (Ashland), there is the SAC Museum.  It's stuffed to the rafters with airplanes (so many planes, WWII to the present) and other bits (WWII through the Cold War).  Turn South instead of North and you head to the Lee G. Simmons Wild Animal Park.  Attached to the HDZ, the park focuses on native Nebraska wildlife (elk, deer, various birds, bears, wolves, bison).  Most of it's from the car, but the bears, wolves, and birds have at least some access from footpaths.

I seldom get further West than this.

I have been to the Kearney Arch, though.  We went there before the new management program came into place, so I can't say what it's like now.  It was a neat little thing to see, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it.  There was a little earth lodge and example (recreation) of a sod home there as well.  I seem to recall there being a living history fort near there that I haven't seen and can't vouche for any quality.

Hastings has the Kool-Aid Museum.  Yes, it's a thing.  

I've always wanted to see Carhenge, but Alliance is about two hours off I-80 and almost at the Colorado border.

That's all I've got.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

I have done that drive, its not the most exciting trip I have ever been on.  Slightly more interesting than watching paint dry, but not by much. (the wall kind, not minis)  Hope someone else can give you better sights, the only thing that saved me was a good audio book

3 hours ago, Green Eyed Monster said:

@kristof65  Made that drive last year.

Most interesting thing along I-80 in Nebraska [as I recall] was watching for the next Wall Drug Billboard.  Once you get into South Dakota things get significantly more interesting.

GEM

2 hours ago, eldamir said:

I've done the drive 20-25 times in the last 5-6 years.  I know how mind and buttocks numbing it is.  That's why we're thinking about breaking it up - I know most of those "attractions" aren't much, but could be an interesting 30-60 minute stops along the way. 

1 hour ago, strawhat said:

Well, if you want to stop in the "Big O", there's the Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium that will kill a few hours.

Just to the North of that are the Lauritzen Gardens.  It's nice to walk through the greenhouse and stroll the gardens, but it's not going to be a quick thing.

If you're into camping and hunting, there's a Cabella's just off I-80.

I've never been there, but the wife and eldest sometimes go to the Nebraska Crossing outlet mall outside of Gretna.

The Holy Family Shrine looks beautiful, but I've never stopped through there.  I'd love to be able to take some pictures there, and I hear it's just fantastic to see at night.  I'm not sure what access is like.

Further West (Ashland), there is the SAC Museum.  It's stuffed to the rafters with airplanes (so many planes, WWII to the present) and other bits (WWII through the Cold War).  Turn South instead of North and you head to the Lee G. Simmons Wild Animal Park.  Attached to the HDZ, the park focuses on native Nebraska wildlife (elk, deer, various birds, bears, wolves, bison).  Most of it's from the car, but the bears, wolves, and birds have at least some access from footpaths.

I seldom get further West than this.

I have been to the Kearney Arch, though.  We went there before the new management program came into place, so I can't say what it's like now.  It was a neat little thing to see, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it.  There was a little earth lodge and example (recreation) of a sod home there as well.  I seem to recall there being a living history fort near there that I haven't seen and can't vouche for any quality.

Hastings has the Kool-Aid Museum.  Yes, it's a thing.  

I've always wanted to see Carhenge, but Alliance is about two hours off I-80 and almost at the Colorado border.

That's all I've got.

Thanks.  We're doing the zoo in about 3 weeks with my daughter's girl scout troop.  The SAC museum sounds interesting. 

2 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

Your youngest?

My 7  yr old has decided both "meow" and "potatoes" are perfectly acceptable answers to most questions we ask her.  

• Like 12

3 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

Sir Cyr and I use "merp" as our means-everything-and-anything phrase. 

Also: dag nabbit. I seem to have injured my tricep tendons at the gym on Friday. I thought I had generic "back to gym aches" while doing tricep exercises. Nope. The ache got worse and worse. It isn't a mind blowing pain - but it is enough to prevent me from doing arm workouts for the next few weeks. Grr. 

• Sad 9

1 hour ago, kristof65 said:

Your youngest?

My 7  yr old has decided both "meow" and "potatoes" are perfectly acceptable answers to most questions we ask her.  

Mostly.  The youngest is 8, next is 10, then there's a 15 year old.  So the "meow" thing can be cute, up to a point.  The teenage drama comes and goes.  I've got a dozen more years of teenaged girl stuff ahead of me.  

• Like 6
  • Sad 6

15 minutes ago, LittleBluberry said:

Mostly.  The youngest is 8, next is 10, then there's a 15 year old.  So the "meow" thing can be cute, up to a point.  The teenage drama comes and goes.  I've got a dozen more years of teenaged girl stuff ahead of me.  

One Drama Queen in the house and two more warming up in the wings.:blink:

GEM

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Welp. Got about ten Bones minis cleaned up and primed with liner and ready to go. And half again as many metal minis cleaned up and assembled in a couple cases and ready to prime. And this evening I started drawing out a mine for the first big delve in the PF game. So maybe not quite as useless today as I feel. But close.

Tomorrow: I hope to finish my ruined Gothic building. Still those floors to finish up. Also, if it warms like it's supposed to do and the wind isn't awful, prime those metal minis. And I guess we'll see from there.

Hoping some inspiration strikes me for this mine. Feels a little blah right now. Too many passages, too few rooms perhaps. Unsure of it's exact population too. Meh.

Oh, how I wish that Secret Weapon KS had fulfilled already.

• Like 7

Oh darn...I passed 10k posts and didn't notice until just now. I'd wanted my 10,000th post to be something witty and/or amusing, but instead I think it was just me saying I was in google hangouts. :lol:

*belated explosion of glitter and confetti and other sparkly things* :bday:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2