Jeneki

Kings of War: Vanguard

Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/kings-of-war-vanguard-the-fantasy-skirmish-wargame

Skirmish game in the Kings of War setting.  There's a rules preview link in the kickstarter description.

For new models there are two forces to choose from initially.  Big images in the Hidden Contents below.

2f729c17b157cc3b85ec86b0ccd3c2af_origina

6e54aff637f5d11671f9af2ebdc4fc57_origina

19580c5a71974792674501aa98a05a22_origina

Edited by Jeneki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was excited for this one, and now I am not so sure.  Their initial offering is really lackluster.  

• Like 1

Starts small, with what will be covered by the first goal - it will continue to rise as the KS continues. (Mantic has learned from bitter experience, I believe....)

A friend of mine is in for the Night Stalkers - he wants them for post-apocalyptic mutant horrors.

And I am in for the Basileans - which, if nothing else, will be in use for Mordheim. (Most likely as well as Vanguard - the Alpha rules are pretty good.)

The Auld Grump

The Alpha rules are basically the same as their sci fi skirmish game Deadzone. That's not a bad thing. In fact it makes them easier to get to grips with if you're familiar with the other system although it also makes you less likely to notice the differences.

I wish there was a version without the miniatures because I've got loads of appropriate figures already.

I am looking forward to the plastic scarecrows and the remake of the Men at Arms for the Basileans. (The original Men at Arms plastics were... pretty damned horrible - the plastics manufacturer did not have the right software, so instead traced the renders by hand... badly.)

As for plastic scarecrows... always useful for Hallowe'en, eh? ::D:

The Auld Grump

For a skirmish game there's more repetition in the mini poses than I'd like.

Hoping for the option to pick and choose add ons, plus a couple of deluxe mat options, but we'll see. With $30 for shipping I'll probably just wait for retail.

• Like 2

Yeah, I was looking forward to this one as I like the look of both forces, but most of the minis being duplicates is incredibly off-putting.

I know there's probably some alt-sculpt stretch goals coming up, but I don't get why an established company like Mantic can't put out two small groups of unique minis from the start, when this is pretty much a given for any new skirmish game that hits Kickstarter.

• Like 1

I'm in the "was excited, but now hesitant" camp. I was kind of expecting more than just Basileans and Night Stalkers as their options for initial factions, and, since these minis are also supposed to be able to be used for a full KoW army, two different poses for the doubles. I mean, all their other KoW minis have at least two variants that are more than just repositioning arms, and you'd think they'd have thrown some stuff in there using some existing KoW minis or something. I'm also wondering if when they say resin they mean resin-resin or their "Restic" resin plastic stuff, which I've found to be hit and miss. I've dealt with it for infantry and cavalry units, and while the infantry is generally ok, the cavalry stuff was a pain in the butt. I had a lot of issues with fitting and gaps, despite boiling to soften them up and reshape them. Using it for bigger monsters, like their earth elementals, seems to be their best use of it in my opinion. And the inclusion of lots of terrain, while useful for some, seems kind of pointless for the base pledge. You'd think that would have been set aside as an optional thing. After all, they're primarily going to be grabbing a lot of their existing Kings of War players, and while they may not have smaller terrain pieces like barrels and crates, they should have fences, walls, and stuff like that covered.

That said, is the PVC plastic that they use for their Walking Dead game the same as what's used for Dungeon Saga and LOKA minis? I've got a few of those from their random grab bag type boxes, and they're actually pretty nice. Stiffer than Bones, more flexible than styrene, and they seem to hold an almost equivalent level of detail.

Edited by Unruly
  • Like 1

Aren't most of the existing basilean sculpts multipose with multiple weapon options?

Something that would be perfect for a skirmish game.

I seem to recall the man-at-arms, sisters and paladins, I got from the kickstarter where at least.

I don't know if they have updated the sculpts since then.

Yea, most of their sculpts for everything are multipose with at least two weapon options. Which is why it's kind of weird that they're not doing that with these. The Basileans getting a resculpt isn't a bad thing, though. The originals have hands the size of their heads, and their faces are kinda froggy.

I took a look at the comments over on the kickstarter, and most people seem to be wondering why they only did the one pledge level rather than breaking it down into multiple for things like rules only; rules and a warband; rules, two warbands, and terrain; etc. There are some people moaning about PVC being used instead of straight resin, metal, or styrene, but I put those people in the "whiners" category because they're complaining that it doesn't hold detail for crap. If it's the same stuff as what they use for LOKA and Dungeon Saga, the figures I've got say otherwise. I just don't know if it's 100% same stuff*.

*The Dungeon Saga Kickstarter FAQ says that those figures are PVC, and that it's the same PVC they use for LOKA, so I'm assuming it's also the same PVC they use for Walking Dead, which they used as an example in the Vanguard kickstarter page.

I'm firmly in the whiner camp on this one. Glad they at least added a 2 warband option, but I'm still going to hold off for retail and just snag the book and dice I think. I was interested in the Nightstalkers, but I'm not interested in PVC. Sounds like some of it will be resin, from the update (at least the bigger stuff), but I have no interest in monopose or PVC, and combining the two kills it for me.

Also, am I the only one who hates the way their terrain looks? At first I thought it was just the renders from terrain crate, but I see they posted prototype pictures in their last update (went to see because of this campaign, I didn't back it), and it still looks like dollhouse furniture to me? Fat, smooth pieces with really thin etching that will likely make it hard to hold detail? I've 0 interest in Mantic's scenery at all. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Crowley
      A DCC RPG boxed setting for Lankhmar, officially licensed by the estate of Fritz Leiber. Adventure with Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser!

There are three basic pledge levels:
      The PDF pledge level includes an electronic edition of the final boxed set. (Obviously there will be no box!) This level does not include any physical rewards, add-ons or stretch goals. The boxed set includes the core boxed set as described above. All electronic stretch goals (PDFs) will apply to this level. Some of the physical stretch goals will apply to this level, generally those that fit in the box. The final level includes the boxed set as well as the "print pack." All electronic stretch goals (PDFs) will apply to this level. All of the physical stretch goals will apply, as well. Those that do not fit in the box will be shipped in a separate "print pack." See below for more information on these stretch goals.  
      Stretch Goals
      DCC Lankhmar continues a long tradition in RPG gaming, and we want to do right by the estate of Fritz Leiber. The stretch goals associated with this Kickstarter will help create an even more amazing tribute to the world of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.
      Stretch goals fall into three categories:
      PDF stretch goals that all backers receive Print stretch goals that can fit into the boxed set, which will be included with any pledge that has the physical boxed set The "Print Pack," which is a printed collection of the stretch goals which don't fit in the boxed set Here is a rough outline of possible stretch goals, which may evolve as the Kickstarter continues.
      At $40,000: Cleared! We will add a new Lankhmar adventure module (PDF for all backers; print copy in the Print Pack)
      At $60,000: We will print the poster map larger (included in boxed set)
      At $80,000: We will add a second Lankhmar adventure module (PDF for all backers; print copy in the Print Pack)
      At $100,000: We will add a supplement called "A Dozen Lankhmar Locations," which will provide information, maps, and floorplans on setting adventures in a dozen famous Lankhmar locales (including the Silver Eel!) (PDF for all backers; print copy in the boxed set)
      At $120,000: We will add a third Lankhmar adventure module (PDF for all backers; print copy in the Print Pack)
      At $140,000: We will add a supplement called "Random NPCs in Lankhmar," which will provide tables and information for generating random NPCs that your PCs can encounter in Lankhmar (PDF for all backers; print copy in the Print Pack)
      At $160,000: We will add a fourth Lankhmar adventure module (PDF for all backers; print copy in the Print Pack)
      At $180,000: We will add a Lankhmar-themed three-panel Judges Screen (PDF for all backers; print copy in the boxed set)
      At $200,000: We will add a fifth Lankhmar adventure module (PDF for all backers; print copy in the Print Pack)
      At $220,000: We will add a cloth map in the boxed set (print copy in the boxed set)
      At $240,000: We will add a sixth Lankhmar adventure module (PDF for all backers; print copy in the Print Pack)
      At $250,000: We will add send Michael Curtis to Houston for a week to research the Fritz Leiber archives in the University of Houston. We anticipate this may result in a new product of some kind to be delivered to backers of this Kickstarter, but exactly what we'll discover in the archives - and what product may result from it - can't be determined until Michael sets foot in the archives!
    • By BryanBorgman
      Hello everyone. I am pleased to announce the launch of Stars Reach spaceship miniatures on Kickstarter.

Stars Reach spaceship miniatures are designed by Twilight Game Designs TJ. I am managing the Kickstarter for them (including promotion and pledge management).

Twilight Game Designs is offering three new fleets that can be used in games such as 5150 Star Navy by Two Hour Wargames, Squadron Strike by Ad Astra Games, Starmada by Majestic Twelve Games, and more. The three fleets are: the Koreth Imperium, the Trazari Colonies, and the Human Commonwealth.
        Stars Reach spaceship miniatures will be cast in pewter in the USA. Production and fulfillment will be provided by Acheson Creations. This Kickstarter is live now and will end at 10:00pm EST on Sunday, April 30, 2017. Follow the link and pledge today! The universe is counting on you!   https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/twilightgamedesigns/stars-reach-space-ship-miniatures  
      Please spread the word and feel free to ask me questions here or on the Kickstarter project page.
      - Bryan

• By SamuraiJack
      About this project
      Code Zero is a 32mm miniatures skirmish game set in a futuristic alternate universe. Players take control of a small squad of troops, broken up into fireteams, competing with each other to achieve one or several objectives and complete their mission. These combat situations usually take place within a theater of war, on the borders along the core worlds of various factions. These dangerous worlds and systems which are on the outskirts of secured core sectors are known as Code Zero's. The owners of the territories tend to change hands monthly since many of them are inhabited by second class citizens, those trying to survive and make a living in harsh future.  
      Code Zero is designed to create a cinematic feel of gameplay, while reflecting the dynamic ebb and flow of the battle that can happen within any given engagement. We do this by utilizing an action/reaction system, allowing both players to interact in a method keeping everyone engrossed with the battle. Utilizing alternate activations along with a different method to resolve reactions this can create some unique situations  
      The first of our miniatures for this universe are digitally sculpted, 3d printed and cast in high quality resin.

• By pcktlnt
      Project: Captain Redbeard's Pirate Dwarves

About this project
      Avast me hearties! Splice the mainbrace and beat to quarters, that galleon is bilged on her anchor and ripe for the picking! Bring us alongside Gibbs. Boomer, get ready on the gun! Pete my boy, are you loaded? Hefty, Sharktooth, Deadeye, follow me! Gyaaarh! 

This project is to fund production of a pirate dwarf crew, a set of unique miniatures forming a warband of adventuring buccaneers for skirmish gaming or a unit of mercenary fighters in a larger dwarf army. 
      They are 28mm metal miniatures, sculpted by Mark Evans, who produced all the dwarf sculpts in our previous kickstarter. 

This time we have decided to offer only one pledge level, with all stretch goals being free additions to the set. If you want multiple sets just increase your pledge amount accordingly. 
      Pledge price includes FREE SHIPPING in the UK and discounted shipping of just £2 for anywhere else worldwide.
       If successfully funded each backer will receive one each of Captain Redbeard's crew plus any applicable stretch goals- 
      1. Cap'n Redbeard   2. Bo'sun Gibbs   3. Deadeye Dan  
      4. Hefty Hawkins      5. Slick Willie         6. Sharktooth Jack
      7. Pigwash    8. Little Pete      9. Boomer Svensson and Swivel Gun
       The Captain himself. As gnarly a swashbucking, treasure-hungry dwarf as you could ever hope to meet. He'll fight anyone and anything if there's a promise of doubloons which makes his crew a useful mercenary force to bolster any dwarf army (just don't pay him in advance).
       The captain's trusted Bo'sun, often found leading boarding parties or manning the ship when the captain takes a raiding party ashore.
       His aim is as good with his axe as with his pistol, as many an enemy has found out
       Avast behind! The crew will often mutter about hefty, but not within earshot of him. If you have a door to kick down, a bear to wrestle or a sandwich to eat, he's your man.
       The general opinion among the crew is the Willie fancies himself, with his goatee, ponytail and feather in his hat, he cares a bit too much about his appearance.
       Sharktooth is just a thorough git, a complete thug with a pair of wicked short knives that earned him his nickname. 
       Rumour has it that Pigwash was once captain of his own ship, nobody knows for sure and nobody likes to ask because of that big axe he carries around.
       The smallest of the crew, some say he's overcompensating but with his blunderbuss he can clear a deck or blow a dwarf sized hole in a city gate.
       He's got you covered, the swivel gun is small enough that the crew will often take it ashore for some extra firepower. 
    • By Suden
      This looks like it could be fun. Pre-painted minis with an odd choice for scale, 65 to 85mm. The early samples do look good though:

• Who's Online   22 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)