Lovely!  I've been lurking on your WIP thread and I especially like the way you've managed the different materials and textures -- metal, shiny fabric, broom-straw, hair, bone, etc.

Thanks for sharing!

Derek

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

She's very lovely.  I like your color choices a lot and the overall composition.  

I will offer a critique since it is wanted.  Though I see it is your first osl attempt, and it is definitely a nice effect, I find there is too much yellow on the hand and surrounding area.  I think it would work if the rest of the mini were darker, but since there seems to be plenty of another light source, I think the lantern glow would make a lot less of an impact.  I think a slightly subtler yellow quickly fading into lighter (or redder) versions of the normal color would work here.  You know the way a lantern might glow brightly in the dark of night, but the same lantern at day looks a lot dimmer?  I do like how you did the broom handle and bag beneath, showing where the shadows would form.

At the same time, as a first osl attempt, I applaud the choice to just go for it and make it really stand out.  And of course, with magical light, normal rules don't apply.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I more or less agree with InvisibleThumb, but I wanted to throw it at you from a different perspective.  You achieved some great NMM on the sickle but the OSL is stealing it's thunder.  That can be okay if you want the OSL to be the star of the show, but I don't know whether that was the plan or not. 

Or in other words, your skills are improving to the point that you need to do more than just paint well.  Now you get to work on things like composition and storytelling.  Welcome to the next level!  ^_^ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

looking good.   Focusing on the OSL, I would agree with the critiques so far, in that the shadow side of the figure is still too bright and colorful if the lantern is the only light source.  A key area to notice this is the face which has the same skin tones on both left and right side... there is no shadow or darker tones on the mini's left side which is in shadow based on the light source.

This is just feedback so please take with a truckload of salt as I know I could not do as well as you have done here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dks said:

Lovely!  I've been lurking on your WIP thread and I especially like the way you've managed the different materials and textures -- metal, shiny fabric, broom-straw, hair, bone, etc.

Thanks for sharing!

Derek

Thank you so much, Derek, that means a lot to me. I’m glad you like her! ^_^

12 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

That is a nice looking mini!

12 hours ago, knarthex said:

Nice!

12 hours ago, Silvervane said:

Awesome! 

12 hours ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

Niiiiiice!

Thanks, guys! ^_^

9 hours ago, InvisibleThumb said:

She's very lovely.  I like your color choices a lot and the overall composition.  

I will offer a critique since it is wanted.  Though I see it is your first osl attempt, and it is definitely a nice effect, I find there is too much yellow on the hand and surrounding area.  I think it would work if the rest of the mini were darker, but since there seems to be plenty of another light source, I think the lantern glow would make a lot less of an impact.  I think a slightly subtler yellow quickly fading into lighter (or redder) versions of the normal color would work here.  You know the way a lantern might glow brightly in the dark of night, but the same lantern at day looks a lot dimmer?  I do like how you did the broom handle and bag beneath, showing where the shadows would form.

At the same time, as a first osl attempt, I applaud the choice to just go for it and make it really stand out.  And of course, with magical light, normal rules don't apply.  

Thank you very much for your feedback, I totally agree! ^_^ I didn’t think to do a second colour, like a red, to diffuse the light. I was struggling to get the lantern to look like it was glowing, (the camera was kind to me on that aspect, honestly,) and I overcompensated with too strong of a yellow. I probably should have walked away from it for a few minutes and reassessed because it did end up too strong. 

I’ll definitely take your comments into consideration on my next OSL attempt!

9 hours ago, LittleBluberry said:

I more or less agree with InvisibleThumb, but I wanted to throw it at you from a different perspective.  You achieved some great NMM on the sickle but the OSL is stealing it's thunder.  That can be okay if you want the OSL to be the star of the show, but I don't know whether that was the plan or not. 

Or in other words, your skills are improving to the point that you need to do more than just paint well.  Now you get to work on things like composition and storytelling.  Welcome to the next level!  ^_^ 

Thank you very much, I definitely agree! I totally forgot that I had intended to give the lantern a green glow to try to counteract stealing the NMM’s thunder, since I think that would have worked better since it was the gold NMM that was so close to the lantern. By the time I realized it, I had to pick between possibly ruining the entire area by trying to switch to green or just go with it. I obviously chose the latter. 

I really appreciate all of your feedback - thanks for pushing me! ^_^

9 hours ago, NecroMancer said:

I love the shiny fabric!  You also really nailed that OSL!

You never fail to impress!

Thank you for your kind words, I’m glad you like her! ^_^

1 hour ago, robinh said:

looking good.   Focusing on the OSL, I would agree with the critiques so far, in that the shadow side of the figure is still too bright and colorful if the lantern is the only light source.  A key area to notice this is the face which has the same skin tones on both left and right side... there is no shadow or darker tones on the mini's left side which is in shadow based on the light source.

This is just feedback so please take with a truckload of salt as I know I could not do as well as you have done here.

Thank you for your feedback, no salt needed! ^_^

The lantern wasn’t intended to be the only light source, which is definitely why I shouldn’t have gone so strong with the yellow, as that implies that it is. If it was, you’re totally right, her whole left side should have been in complete darkness.

I know for next time to go for a more subtle look so as not to confuse what lightsources there may or may not be. 

• Like 3

Oh, she’s lovely!

I think you did a beautiful job with the different colors, and especially highlighting all those folds and texture in her garments and broom and hair. They look satiny and distinct.

I agree with the comments about the lighting.  With a yellow that vivid one expects darker shadows. On the other hand, that would have obscured some of your lovely paint job.

Nice one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1