Glitterwolf

Bonny Ann Pirate Queen Bust By Glitterwolf

A while ago I had a poll to vote which bust I would paint next.

This was the winner.

So we better get started ( ok I'm also painting my Brutus Bust but she was first)

She has many options, ( with or without hat, with or without a parrot, and with a shirt or topless)

I'm going for full options.

Trying to make the shirt somewhat sheer.

OMG...I never done that!

Wish me luck!

DSCN8203.JPG

DSCN8204.JPG

bonny-anne.jpg

• Like 20

Sheer cloth isn't really that hard - you just need to make sure you get the color transitions to conform to the physical shapes beneath them. Beyond that it's mostly just the brainwork of figuring out which areas of the flesh are pressing hardest against the fabric and thus will be more visible beneath it.

Plus, you're going for a fairly subtle effect on a relatively small portion of the figure, so if you don't get it quite right, it won't matter as much because of all the other areas of the figure that will be drawing more attention.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Sheer cloth isn't really that hard - you just need to make sure you get the color transitions to conform to the physical shapes beneath them. Beyond that it's mostly just the brainwork of figuring out which areas of the flesh are pressing hardest against the fabric and thus will be more visible beneath it.

Thank you!

You make it sound so easy..I have seen some excellent sheer paintjobs.

Never did that before.

I want to learn.

With Kaladrax I tackled Marble, now I want to practice sheer cloth.

More later, it has started raining so I had to quit for now.

• Like 3

Well, the basic premise of the technique is fairly simple... It's just a sliding scale: more pressure of flesh against the cloth = more skin color showing.

There are probably a couple of good videos out there to show how to do it, but I personally usually just paint any area where the flesh will be touching the cloth like the cloth wasn't even there, and then just glaze the shirt color up over it until only the right amount of flesh color is showing through. If the cloth color is lighter than the skin color, just base-coating any place where they touch in the skin color and then painting over it once with the shirt color will leave some of the skin color showing through, even without actually thinning the paint at all...

I actually figured out how to do it on my own (badly, lol) mostly by accident before I'd even started drybrushing my figures back in the day - I knocked over some really watery white dollar-store craft paint and didn't notice I'd accidentally given one of my figures a "wash" until after it had dried.  ::D: 

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Well, the basic premise of the technique is fairly simple... It's just a sliding scale: more pressure of flesh against the cloth = more skin color showing.

There are probably a couple of good videos out there to show how to do it, but I personally usually just paint any area where the flesh will be touching the cloth like the cloth wasn't even there, and then just glaze the shirt color up over it until only the right amount of flesh color is showing through. If the cloth color is lighter than the skin color, just base-coating any place where they touch in the skin color and then painting over it once with the shirt color will leave some of the skin color showing through, even without actually thinning the paint at all...

I actually figured out how to do it on my own (badly, lol) mostly by accident before I'd even started drybrushing my figures back in the day - I knocked over some really watery white dollar-store craft paint and didn't notice I'd accidentally given one of my figures a "wash" until after it had dried.  ::D: 

Thx!

I will give it a go with her shirt.

• Like 3

"Had you fought like a man, you need not be hung like a dog"

-Bonny Anne

That's in my notebook among other favorite quotes.

Edited by Adrift
  • Like 7

39 minutes ago, Adrift said:

"Had you fought like a man, you need not be hung like a dog"

-Bonny Anne

That's in my notebook among other favorite quotes.

Hey! Haven't seen you around much lately!

Thx for dropping in!

9 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

No luck wishes! I wish you mad skills!

Thx!

Mwwhuuuaaahhhaaarrroooo!!!

• Like 6

Really like this bust, thought about picking it up at ReaperCon, but had already spent waaaay too much on acquisitions while there heh

• Like 3

Primed.

Some parts were a bit messed up due to falling...will have to re-apply some paint there.

DSCN8211.JPG

DSCN8212.JPG

DSCN8213.JPG

• Like 12

Scale 75 Sunset Purple

Scale 75 Intense Wood

Vallejo Game Colour Heavy Red

Reaper Linen White

I have my doubts about her corselet  thingie.

During prepping the upper lace/cord broke off and was unrepairable.

Ok, a Pirate's gear could be damaged during battles right?

Also I'm not sure if I can get those cords to look right.

Now I'm torn between using it or just keep her topless.

Thoughts?

Is it that bad?

Anyway this it for today.

DSCN8219.JPG

DSCN8220.JPG

• Like 18
  • Haha 1

I guess I can't tell what is missing. The cords look nice to me and you have a great start on their color.  To me this model looks nicer with all the additional layers. 

• Like 2