dks

03774 Tengu Warrior WIP (final step)

Wow...it’s beautiful as is but the planned additional details add another layer of amazing. I especially love the sash colour change, it really makes a big difference. 

Thank you for showing your process with this. I don’t know how well doing markups in photo software would work for me though, I fear I’d get distracted adding “deal with it” sunglasses onto every figure. ::P:

I am flabberghasted at the beauty of this. It amazes me that it is still WIP! I am eager to see its final incarnation ^_^

I'm speechless! I love all these colors. The hamon effect is a great idea. I was not familiar with that word so, I just googled it to find more information. That will be an epic weapon.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Hi guys,
      so here's a figure I just finished, an old Ral Partha Saturday Night Fever Samurai, who I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's based on John Belushi.  Pretty straight forward figure to paint, and I wanted to give him more of a five o'clock shadow (thanks Patrick for the advice) but I just gave it to him where it was actually kind of sculpted in.  I looked at a few reference pictures of John Belushi in his Samurai suit, but eventually went a slightly different route to give a bit more color to him. I tried to get a little bit of heat from his cigar too, don't know if you can notice a bit of red and yellow by the ash?

Anyhows, I hope you guys all enjoy this little blast from the past!
    • By dks
      Here is my painted rendition of the tengu wizard -- the last of the 3 tengu figures that I sculpted for Reaper.
      (The other 2 figures are the rogue(ninja) and the warrior(samurai).  Click those links for my Show-Off threads.)
      My idea when I designed the figure was "Since crows like to collect shiny stuff, maybe a tengu wizard can work magic using shiny stuff."  Hence, the preponderance of jewelry -- rings, a bracelet, an anklet, and a big octagonal pectoral.  I sculpted the clothing smooth and simple so the painter could add freehand and shininess.
      Someone here on the Reaper Forum (sorry, I forget who) suggested that male and female tengus probably look the same to a casual viewer ... so although I hadn't thought of the wizard as female before, now she is!
      The colors of this zany old bird's feathers and eyes are not as bright as those of the other 2.  Her left eye is clouded over.

And here's a group shot:

I have a few more photos to share, but I won't make you click through to a separate WIP thread.

Before I started painting the figure, I didn't know what colors I would use, whether to harmonize with the cool colors of the other two tengus, or use more contrasting colors
      After applying a coat of black brush-on primer, I painted a careful monochrome value study, using Brown Liner as "black", plus the Shadowed Stone - Stone Grey - Weathered Stone triad.
      I spent about 3 hours on it.
      I forgot to photograph the result, but it was something like this.  (This is a full-color work-in-progress photo that I converted to grayscale electronically.)

To get inspiration for the colors, I looked through a few Spectrum art collections on my bookshelf, and chose a painting that was mostly rosy purple and salmon-pink, with some accents of blue, green, and red.
      After about 5 hours of painting colors over the grayscale study, this is how the figure looked (with a blue paper background instead of the gray that I used in the photos at the top of this post):

I paused here so I could do some electronic "painting" for the freehand, and see whether the pants would look better green.

Then I spent about 4 hours painting the freehand, glazing, texturing, and touchups. 
      One more hour to make the base, and an hour to paint it.

Enjoy!
      Derek

• By Glitterwolf
      Another Clan Wars mini I got from @Jasper_the_2nd for my Nippon, Land of the Rising Moon project.

This time an ONI OGRE.

WIP HERE:
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79416-nippon-land-of-the-rising-moon-by-glitterwolf/

When asked for their allegiance the Oni joined forces with the murdered Toda Clan and the last survivors.
      Due to the family ties they swore to annihilate the Kenmu Clan for their foul deeds.
      In battle these Oni terrified the enemy, larger than men and wielding huge weapons they cut their way through the Kenmu ranks.

• By Glitterwolf
      Here are three more Samurai Zombies from Clan Wars, I got them from @Jasper_the_2nd
      They are very nice sculpts and I had a lot of fun with these.

WIP is here:
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79416-nippon-land-of-the-rising-moon-by-glitterwolf/

The Undead Samurai slowly advanced, nothing could stop them, arrows just got stuck in their flesh or armor and they kept going.
      Another volley, nothing stopped them!
      The now undead Toda Clan sought revenge to those who had wronged them.
      They kept coming, determined to slaughter their enemies.

• By Glitterwolf
      This is a Clanwars mini provided by @Jasper_the_2nd in my project he is Master Nurin.
      WIP and story here:
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/79416-nippon-land-of-the-rising-moon-by-glitterwolf/&page=2

I tried a little freehand.

Two sets of pics in different light.
      Which ones are the best?

Master Nurin watched how the undead samurai burned down the Kenmu town.
      Yoshigaru would be pleased, this was only the beginning.
      His wrath for murdering the Toda Clan would be merciless.

• Who's Online   43 Members, 5 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)