buglips*the*goblin

Guindyloo and Buglips paint DHL 03100: Thanis the Bonecaller

5 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Ahhhhh! I love this thread!!! I love the double teaching, I love the commentary, and I love that you both enjoy creating threads like this. :wub: 

Also. Whoops. I use my nice brush for priming. That's why it's puffy. And whoops, I use my nice brush for color mixing. It's puffy.... 

At least I can fix it now!

And Buglips'ss's 1:1 paint isn't thin enough for glazing?

Whoooooops......... :lol: 

I’m glad you’re finding it helpful!

Yes, definitely don’t use your nice brushes for priming! I used a brand new crappy synthetic $1 brush for mine and it shredded half the bristles. The damage from priming isn’t as drastic if what you’re priming isn’t as textured as this figure, so you wouldn’t necessarily notice the damage that occurred to my brush right away, but once you see a brush get shredded like that, it’s a really easy decision to switch to crappy brushes for such tasks. You can get a super cheap pack at a hobby store and use a larger one than you would ever use for a mini under normal circumstances and finish up priming in no time.

A puffy look can come from getting paint into the recesses of the ferrule as well, as getting a build up in there will cause the bristles to separate over time. Using a crappy brush for paint mixing is good for this. I generally use the back end of my brush because I kept forgetting to switch brushes since I’m so often mixing colours on my palette. It was easier to train myself to turn my brush over than to get a second brush and once I saw Jessica Rich’s method for using water on the back end of her brush to use for thinning paints, I was sold. Prior to that, I’d been using a dropper bottle of water and all that was resulting in was overthinned, runny paint. 

I am admittedly not very diligent with brush care so I try to counteract that by abusing my good brushes as little as possible.  

Glazes are hard and I struggle with getting the right consistency all the time, but the general rule is that you’re going for tinted water, very similar to a wash except you want your glaze to be controlled and you definitely don’t want it to run into the crevices like with a wash. So thin it really aggressively and then dab any excess water onto a paper towel so that you’re mostly left with pigment on your brush and not much moisture. If you’ve done it right, you should barely notice anything at all when you brush it on the figure, save for a slight tint change.

Glazing is a subject that I really want to get into a class for at Reapercon next year, as, like I said, I struggle with it a lot. 

• Like 14

11 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Ahhhhh! I love this thread!!! I love the double teaching, I love the commentary, and I love that you both enjoy creating threads like this. :wub: 

Also. Whoops. I use my nice brush for priming. That's why it's puffy. And whoops, I use my nice brush for color mixing. It's puffy.... 

At least I can fix it now!

And Buglips'ss's 1:1 paint isn't thin enough for glazing?

Whoooooops......... :lol: 

:lol: 

This thread idea is working out pretty good, and I'm glad because the idea of showing the same mini in two different approaches was something I thought might be useful.  We're going to ht the same challenges on a piece but tackle them differently, which means if we find a problem to solve you might get two solutions for the price of one! 

We picked Thanis as the first because she's a bit complicated and she's one of the intimidating pieces lots of people buy but not as many paint.  It's a pretty good bet we'll be doing more of these types of threads.  As long as we both have the same figure it should be no problem, and the only rule we have is that we think we should stick to Reaper minis for them (and also no nude ones, because linking is a pain in the butt).  This is part practical, since it's one of the few manufacturers we have in common, and part giving a little back to Reaper by showing off some of their really neat models (and occasional hidden gem).  Thanis entered the catalog some 11 years ago and while not exactly obscure, being that I think she's still in the most recent Casketworks, if you don't have a CW she's buried pretty deep by now.  There are other neat ones lurking the catalog with her. 

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

So the next bit I expected to be challenging, I had to do the crystal.  Only... I don't know nothin' about painting crystals.  But!

I know someone who does...  Angela Imrie.  She knows a lot about painting crystals, she even painted a whole golem made out of crystals!  So I went to the store and found the crystal golem, which had her paintjob:

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/crystal golem/sku-down/02954#detail/IG_3561_1

Now that looks like it took a lot of time and thought, but since I only have a wee little crystal to do, maybe I can break it down and simplify it enough to do what I need.  So there's different shades of color, white around the edges, and striations.

So first I took some pro paint firehawk red, thinned it 1:1, and blobbed it in spots until it looked suitably red and maybe glowy:

crystalfront.JPG.e841c1f1a1e17264bb695533bdd4c755.JPG

And then I took some pro paint dragon white, thinned it 2:1 water to paint, and went in to try edges and striations:

crystaltwo.JPG.4a87dc71f1999765eff49076ab9433a8.JPG

Which didn't exactly work out like her very nice crystals did, but I figure it's not half bad for a goblin with no clue what he's doing, so I called it done and now I'll move on.

I think,  (there I go thinking again...) that the big issue is that your staff is already bone colored, so the white just blends in with that and makes the edges look like part of the staff...

Maybe try a different bright red / orange / yellow?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, knarthex said:

I think,  (there I go thinking again...) that the big issue is that your staff is already bone colored, so the white just blends in with that and makes the edges look like part of the staff...

Maybe try a different bright red / orange / yellow?

Well... I don't think it is a big issue.  What I'm trying to illustrate here is that if you're working on a mini and you come across something you've never done before then you should just go ahead and do it.  See what happens.  I found an example, puzzled out some things to try, tried it and got a result more or less in line with what I expected.  Yes, I could try a different red.  Or a different orange.  Or a different yellow.  I could also try finding out how she actually did it and then do it that way (which I probably would, if I was taking my time and not trying to be quick about it).  Or I could try something out and if I get a half-decent result, roll with it and not worry too much about it.  So that's what I did.  It might not look completely like a crystal, sure, but it looks crystal enough

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, pcktlnt said:

Yup. Stealing your paint scheme for some neat skeletons.

Steal away! I'm glad you like them so much! ^_^

• Like 2