Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Okay so I dug around in the drawer and pulled out six unpainted bones that I got in my batch that I bought.
I gave them all a thorough scrub with a brush and warm soapy water and a toothbrush. The ogre needed straightening up so I poured hot water over to readjust and then under cold to set.
I attached all six using superglue to fender washer bases. I got this tip on you tube and have been sticking to it since I started this process. They are running out so I will look for an alternative afterwards. But these are good and solid and make a good base.
So now I have to decide which figure to work on....
I have not primed any and up until now I have primed using "151" matt black spray paint. I did not know exactly what to use so I tried this when I began.
I did pick up slightly after the photo and start to apply some blue to the Anhurian soldier using the same blue I mixed for a figure I was painting late last night. But without primer it did not seem to want to settle very well.
The two figures I have seen painted are by Doctor Faust ; the hell hound and the ogre.
Any comments/suggestions or generally helpful advice is gratefully welcomed.
Hello fine people (and other assorted things) of the Reaper forum!
Continuing in our project of teaming up to show you two different methods to go about painting the same miniature, Buglips and I decided that we would do a WIP thread for Con Crud, Convention Zombie from the 2017 Reapercon swag bag! He's a great little figure, sculpted by Gene Van Horne, that we thought we could have some fun with.
This will be our second shared WIP thread in this series of ours, in case you missed it, check out our first one where we painted Thanis the Bonecaller:
As with that one, I will be covering my usual method of painting for display, and Buglips will be approaching the figure with his own usual "fast-but-decent method." As with the last one, Buglips' method will be much faster than mine will be and you'll get to see where our two styles diverge. We will be sharing our own issues, thoughts and methods with you in the hopes that someone will find such things useful.
So on to the mini!
Here's my Con Crud, fresh out of his blister:
I prepped him in my usual way, with some diamond files to grind off the mold lines and bit of flash that you can see on his outstretched foot and hand. He has some notable mold lines through his hair and back and down the left (his left) side of his face. I'll show you throughout the process how I'll tackle those.
So here he is after I primed him with Reaper's Brush-On Primer in white, thinned down with some water. As usual, I only did one thin coat so as not to obscure the details on him and I took a couple of additional shots from different angles so you can see some of the mold lines that I'll need to work on a little more down the road.
I kind of finished this diorama a few years ago but have recently finished it for good with some newly aquired basing materials.
I originally bought Isabella Von Carstien just to paint up as a single miniature but as her pose seemed to infer a commanding stance, I decided to expand things into a diorama by giving her an elite skeleton guard to command using a pack of GW skeletons that I had.
For the actual terrain, I was inspired by a favourite old Ray Harryhausen film of mine, "The 7th Voyage Of Sinbad" where Sinbad swordfights a skeleton on a spiral staircase (which, famously, doesn't go anywhere!). It's a great scene & I wanted to create a spooky ruined spiral stone staircase for Isabella to lead from.
The stonework is made from air-drying clay. I made the staircase by cutting out rolled flat wet clay "cookies" using the plastic cap off a deoderant can to create circles. I then scored lines into each wet "cookie" to create quarters & when dry, I snapped the clay into 4 quarters & tidied them up. I then glued each quarter on top of the last one leaving a eighth of the previous step showing, I repeated this until I got to the required height - I'm very pleased with how this worked out! . I then filled in all gaps between the steps to make them look like they were carved out of the stone & added some sand for texture here & there, I also pencilled in then scored some fish-scale tiles into the base.
C & C are always welcome - Thanks for looking!
Who's Online 29 Members, 5 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)
- Wise Kraken
- Knight of the Dinner Table
- Sophie was taken
- Doug Sundseth
- Darsc Zacal
- Cranky Dog
- Patrik Strom
- Melbourne Mew Mew