buglips*the*goblin

Guindyloo and Buglips paint DHL 03100: Thanis the Bonecaller

Finally found this thread and just finished through it. It's an absolutely phenomenal piece and incredibly helpful to everyone who wants to tackle this. I would ask, nay, implore you to make even more of these.........and tell me when you start it, so I don't have to run to catch up.

Also, I know which one is my favourite.::D:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I want to thank you two for this thread!

Awesome, useful and informative.

I like both paintjobs.

They both look stunning in their own way.

Of course Guindy putting more time and effort in, pays off.

Thank you so much for explaining how you did this!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think that Buglips' version of Thanis looks plain at all - I really like his version. I think it's important to note that it's not just our methods that are different - our painting style is very different as well. I think it's most obvious when looking at his group shot of everything that he's painted in the last week - he trends toward using more muted and organic colours in his painting that results in a somewhat darker, more realistic look to his figures. I, on the other hand, prefer to paint with lots of bright colour and high contrast that results in more of a fantasy look. I'd be interested to know if that's most affected by our approaches, our influences, our different tastes or something else entirely.

I want to reiterate one of the points that Buglips and I promote a lot and that is letting go of fear in your painting. It's so easy to let fear cripple you when you're painting because there's a lot that we let take hold of us in this hobby. Fear that you're not good enough, that you're going to mess up a figure or waste paint or waste time or that if your latest figure isn't as good as your previous one that people will think less of you or you don't know how to do a technique so you just avoid doing it or a figure looks too complicated so you shove it in a drawer and relegate it to "Some Day™." It's also far too easy to look at painters that have far more experience than you do and think "I'm never going to be that good" and then you let that fear take hold of you and you don't even try and if you don't try, then you really won't ever be.

I have struggled with so many of those fears and self-doubt and frustration with myself. I wanted to relay some of that struggle in my posts because fear is not something that you can just make go away, it's something that you have to face and work through or you'll just always be afraid of it. I don't want to always be afraid of NMM and OSL and normal skintones or get stuck frustrating myself thinking that I have to paint everything as perfectly as I possibly can. Sometimes things aren't going to work out the way you wanted or you're not going to know how to fix something that's gone wrong or you're going to have a bad painting day in general. It's ok. It really is. You just have to push through it, face your fears, and accept and learn from your mistakes. Mistakes are valuable because they allow you to sit back and say "Ok, what did I do wrong and how can I fix it?" Sometimes you can re-approach it and fix it on the spot. Sometimes the better choice is to say "Alright, that went awry, but now I know that I should approach it differently the next time."

Another thing that I have struggled with for a long time is how long it takes me to paint figures. (We won't get into how many of them I have lurking in every corner of my apartment or the likelihood that I'll ever get paint on all of them before I die. ::P:) I had really accepted for a long time that I was just always going to be a slow painter and it just was what it was. But guess what I discovered - it's not true. I might not ever be a speed painter, but 6 months ago, Thanis would've taken me an entire month to paint. And you know what made me get faster? It was letting go of a lot of the fear that was holding me back. I was languishing over every decision - every colour choice, every highlight, every blend, every single brush stroke. And I was lying to myself about it - I kept telling myself that I was just being careful or I was working on my brush control or that was just the way I painted and it was fine. It wasn't, it was nonsense; I was absolutely terrified. I was just as terrified 6 months ago as I was when I first started painting. The fear had just changed from "Omg these things are tiny" to "I'm never going to be good enough." That's a terrible way to approach something, especially something that you're genuinely passionate about. I was making myself miserable, had no desire to paint and wasn't getting anywhere.

But since I started working on facing and letting go of my fears? Well, just to throw out a little teaser since there's interest, Buglips and I first talked about starting to work on something next weekend. Now we're talking about starting to work on that something in the next couple of days. ::P:

So, I echo Buglips' thanks and will add my thanks to him for helping me to face my fears. I literally wouldn't have even started this hobby had it not been for Buglips' older posts of encouragement that anyone can paint these tiny things and I wouldn't be where I am now with it if it weren't for him pushing and encouraging me along the way.

I'm so glad that y'all have found this helpful, thanks for following along with my lengthy posts and bad pictures and lack of pictures on things. I think it really helped me just as much to sit there and analyze my mistakes and really piece things out; I was explaining things to myself just as much as I was explaining them for the posts.

So, yeah, just get in there and paint all the things! ^_^

Edited by Guindyloo
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 7

I can actually answer why I use muted, organic colours.  It's because a strong influence in my love of miniatures is old school pre-cgi special effects, miniatures, and creatures.  Half of me likes to pretend I'm working in a creature shop and my Terraclips board is the "set".  Since it's not a job you can do like it used to be, it's a nod to my inner 80's kid who wanted to be Harryhausen when he grew up.  

It's an extra layer of enjoyment to the process... even if sometimes to get something done that I don't want to paint I pretend there's an angry producer stalking me who wants that air elemental by Friday or the whole shoot is ruined!  It costs a lot of money to shoot on location in the living room, you know.

Fun is where you find it, kids.

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

First read looks great I will come back and take a good examine, as I can see there are lots of things going on there.  Thanks you two.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, londwch said:

First read looks great I will come back and take a good examine, as I can see there are lots of things going on there.  Thanks you two.

Not to threadjack,

@londwch

Welcome to our Asylum away from Home!

• Like 1