Pingo

Absolutely gorgeous giant wolves from Tom Meier / Thunderbolt Mountain

These gorgeous wolves (Thunderbolt Mountain 8560) are the nicest giant wolf sculpts I have ever seen. They are by the legendary Tom Meier.

IMPORTANT: TOM MEIER IS CLOSING HIS THUNDERBOLT MOUNTAIN STORE DEC. 25 OF THIS YEAR, SO IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, GO THERE NOW!

They are pretty big.  I mounted them on 1.5" fender washers for extra stability.  Tom Meier sells optional goblin riders for them.

DSC_0118-Thunderbolt-Mountain-8560-Giant-Wolves.jpg.942665cecfd021323132bb6fd3f748c1.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg.616009704c515bcb4a9a0baf7f3cfe6d.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg.f99b31349d44f1cb17eca916606975a5.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg.45e0968b6a0120ed793d88478f57f730.jpg

DSC_0127-close-up.jpg.aa7f8a94baa7d1dbfab4e5323e1b12a9.jpg  DSC_0128-close-up.jpg.d81d95b595f70ad4145181500b0b5b86.jpg

DSC_0129-close-up.jpg.86fe1cf7adda44db90ef45cf7b428086.jpg

WIP thread with extensive color notes, painting details, and comparison to other wolf figures here.

• Like 20

They look great!

I Especially love the eyes!

BONUS points for painting WOLVES!

• Like 3

Awesome!  I am a sucker for a Tom Meier sculpt.  I think I like these sculpts even more then the direwolves he sculpted for Dark Sword's George R. R. Martin Masterworks line. 

I actually had to double-check for my own peace of mind, to ensure these are not those same sculpts.  Nope.  These definitely appear to be different wolves.  I guess it's partly the Meier factor and partly just because with the colours you used, they could easily pass for Grey Wind, Ghost, and Summer...  ::D:

Amazing paint work on these, I love 'em!

Kang

• Like 3

Oh wow they are gorgeous! I love the colour schemes you went with too! The details in the eyes are a lovely touch.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pingo
      These are the two hyenas from Jason Wiebe's 03277: Hyena Pack (2).  I painted them up as spotted hyenas, as that is what they most look like. I find I am enjoying painting realistic mammals because it gives a lot of opportunity for play with a fairly limited palette. (See, for example, how I recently painted wolves and wolves and wolves, and what I learned from doing it.)

There is no WIP thread.

I have a photo book of Zimbabwe, so I played a little bit with backgrounds.

• By Pingo
      So I spotted what looked like a sweet little wolfman, unpainted but inked a little over the metal and glued to a square of wood in a comics shop some while ago and bought it and took it home and pried it off the old base and discovered it said "Grenadier 1987." Score!

Turns out it is a werejackal, coded MM93, and was first released as part of the set "Monster Manuscript Vol. XI" which also included the one Nosferatu-type vampire I didn't have in zer old days from the set of three I painted recently.

Anyhow, I cleaned it up and painted it like a black-backed jackal 'cos they look cool.

There is no WIP thread.

Also I had a picture book of Zimbabwe and decided to play a little bit with backgrounds.

• By Pingo
      This is another of Julie Guthrie's beautiful giant werewolves, part of the Warlord Koborlas faction. This is my second Warlord figure painted. It was an attempt to make a gender-ambiguous werewolf, and as such I shaved down the chest armor a bit. Full WIP here.

Aislinn may be howling or sniffing the air or fighting a giant.  Looking up at any rate.

WIP thread here.
    • By Pingo
      This is Julie Guthrie's 14528: Rageclaw Slayer, a very large werewolf (the base is 40 mm).

Oh, and apparently this is the first Warlord figure I've painted.

WIP thread here.
  • Who's Online   30 Members, 5 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)