JGroeling

Cyberpunk wizard's tower (WIP building)

"Yep. That's what we are looking for - whatever it is."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It's a distress beacon, but it ain't military. Someone built this outta spare parts."

"Any idea who?"

"Nah. Not a fu**in' clue."

Great scratch build. I really love that idea, though I normally keep my hands off cardboard. You did a great piece of terrain. I guess that's what was missing when we did that Only War Pen and Paper two weeks ago.

I'd like to see it fully painted.

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

Great scratch build. I really love that idea, though I normally keep my hands off cardboard. You did a great piece of terrain. I guess that's what was missing when we did that Only War Pen and Paper two weeks ago.

I'd like to see it fully painted.

Cardboard was just the base, after that it's foamcore, wire, plasticard, heavy paper, some metal screens, and balsa wood. 
Havent actually played a tabletop game that required terrain in a long while. Just really wanted to build something. I might end up building a cyberpunk map for the hell of it.

Thanks, me too. Should get it painted up later this month into early Dec. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, JGroeling said:

Cardboard was just the base, after that it's foamcore, wire, plasticard, heavy paper, some metal screens, and balsa wood. 
Havent actually played a tabletop game that required terrain in a long while. Just really wanted to build something. I might end up building a cyberpunk map for the hell of it.

Thanks, me too. Should get it painted up later this month into early Dec. 

Yeah. I should really have expressed myself more clearly.

I mean - I can see what else has been used as material (::D:) but having had a coard board wall (made by a friend) for a game once I know what can happen to even strong cardboard terrain in certain situations ... so I still am really impressed.

• Like 1

That is a WONDERFULLY imaginative post apocalypse/Sci Fi/whatever creation. It has centerpiece potential. OUTSTANDING WORK!

I gave up making my terrain for games a long time ago. Now I do the pieces up as narrative settings for my miniatures. That's my excuse; I make them for the love of making them.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

having had a card board wall (made by a friend) for a game once I know what can happen to even strong cardboard terrain in certain situations ... so I still am really impressed.

Did someone get too excited about "bringing down the wall" at game night? 

There's also a ridonkulous amount of glue on this thing so it's sturdier than it looks. Bot sure if it'll ever make it to a game though. 

2 hours ago, malefactus said:

I gave up making my terrain for games a long time ago. Now I do the pieces up as narrative settings for my miniatures. That's my excuse; I make them for the love of making them.

For the love of making it, is why I make so much of what I do. Think this and the other planned buildings are primarily going to be used as backdrop scenery for photograghs of my own custom minis. So will see how this and the rest turn out. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

This is wizardry at its finest.  I look at the primed piece and see an awesome piece of scenery; a cyberpunk tower.  I look at your build and think, straws?  Look back at the primed piece and see vent piping.  Back to the build and see cardboard and packing material; back to the primed and see rocks and walls.  This is simply a fantastic build that transports me into the scene and suspends reality.  I can't even imagine how amazing this will be when painted.

Well done.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @TaleSpinner I like seeing how to change normal trash and such into projects.

Few other tidbits:

-The water tower is an old film canister that I've used for mixing paints in.

-The metal grates are all pieces of scrap wire mesh left over from a mask I built. 

-antenae tower on back, as well as part of the support strut on the front are actually cut up sprue pieces from a GW set I'd recently gotten. 

• Like 6

On 7/11/2017 at 2:35 PM, TaleSpinner said:

This is wizardry at its finest.  I look at the primed piece and see an awesome piece of scenery; a cyberpunk tower.  I look at your build and think, straws?  Look back at the primed piece and see vent piping.  Back to the build and see cardboard and packing material; back to the primed and see rocks and walls.  This is simply a fantastic build that transports me into the scene and suspends reality.  I can't even imagine how amazing this will be when painted.

Well done.

I could not have said this any better!

What an amazing cool scratch build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, looking forward to getting back to this, currently finishing up commissions, so personal stuff is on the back burner. Will update post once I get more work in on this. 

I agree with Malefactus and Talespinner.

Awesome work and a great example on how to turn a normal object into something else.

Those straws are indeed greet pipes.

When painted this will be a worthy show off piece for any game or just for fun photo backdrops.

I do not game and I have only build a few terrain / backdrop pieces.

Like Malefactus, just for the fun of it and to use for photos to show off my minis with.

Keep this up!

It's wonderful and we learn from it.

• Thanks 1

Great greebles all around, but the bendy-straw pipes are particularly inspiring.  I'll have to try using some to spruce up some of my retro-cyberpunk and post-apoc terrain bits!

• Like 4