JGroeling

Cyberpunk wizard's tower (WIP building)

"Yep. That's what we are looking for - whatever it is."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It's a distress beacon, but it ain't military. Someone built this outta spare parts."

"Any idea who?"

"Nah. Not a fu**in' clue."

Great scratch build. I really love that idea, though I normally keep my hands off cardboard. You did a great piece of terrain. I guess that's what was missing when we did that Only War Pen and Paper two weeks ago.

I'd like to see it fully painted.

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

Great scratch build. I really love that idea, though I normally keep my hands off cardboard. You did a great piece of terrain. I guess that's what was missing when we did that Only War Pen and Paper two weeks ago.

I'd like to see it fully painted.

Cardboard was just the base, after that it's foamcore, wire, plasticard, heavy paper, some metal screens, and balsa wood. 
Havent actually played a tabletop game that required terrain in a long while. Just really wanted to build something. I might end up building a cyberpunk map for the hell of it.

Thanks, me too. Should get it painted up later this month into early Dec. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, JGroeling said:

Cardboard was just the base, after that it's foamcore, wire, plasticard, heavy paper, some metal screens, and balsa wood. 
Havent actually played a tabletop game that required terrain in a long while. Just really wanted to build something. I might end up building a cyberpunk map for the hell of it.

Thanks, me too. Should get it painted up later this month into early Dec. 

Yeah. I should really have expressed myself more clearly.

I mean - I can see what else has been used as material (::D:) but having had a coard board wall (made by a friend) for a game once I know what can happen to even strong cardboard terrain in certain situations ... so I still am really impressed.

• Like 1

That is a WONDERFULLY imaginative post apocalypse/Sci Fi/whatever creation. It has centerpiece potential. OUTSTANDING WORK!

I gave up making my terrain for games a long time ago. Now I do the pieces up as narrative settings for my miniatures. That's my excuse; I make them for the love of making them.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, SisterMaryNapalm said:

having had a card board wall (made by a friend) for a game once I know what can happen to even strong cardboard terrain in certain situations ... so I still am really impressed.

Did someone get too excited about "bringing down the wall" at game night? 

There's also a ridonkulous amount of glue on this thing so it's sturdier than it looks. Bot sure if it'll ever make it to a game though. 

2 hours ago, malefactus said:

I gave up making my terrain for games a long time ago. Now I do the pieces up as narrative settings for my miniatures. That's my excuse; I make them for the love of making them.

For the love of making it, is why I make so much of what I do. Think this and the other planned buildings are primarily going to be used as backdrop scenery for photograghs of my own custom minis. So will see how this and the rest turn out. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

This is wizardry at its finest.  I look at the primed piece and see an awesome piece of scenery; a cyberpunk tower.  I look at your build and think, straws?  Look back at the primed piece and see vent piping.  Back to the build and see cardboard and packing material; back to the primed and see rocks and walls.  This is simply a fantastic build that transports me into the scene and suspends reality.  I can't even imagine how amazing this will be when painted.

Well done.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @TaleSpinner I like seeing how to change normal trash and such into projects.

Few other tidbits:

-The water tower is an old film canister that I've used for mixing paints in.

-The metal grates are all pieces of scrap wire mesh left over from a mask I built. 

-antenae tower on back, as well as part of the support strut on the front are actually cut up sprue pieces from a GW set I'd recently gotten. 

• Like 6

On 7/11/2017 at 2:35 PM, TaleSpinner said:

This is wizardry at its finest.  I look at the primed piece and see an awesome piece of scenery; a cyberpunk tower.  I look at your build and think, straws?  Look back at the primed piece and see vent piping.  Back to the build and see cardboard and packing material; back to the primed and see rocks and walls.  This is simply a fantastic build that transports me into the scene and suspends reality.  I can't even imagine how amazing this will be when painted.

Well done.

I could not have said this any better!

What an amazing cool scratch build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, looking forward to getting back to this, currently finishing up commissions, so personal stuff is on the back burner. Will update post once I get more work in on this. 

I agree with Malefactus and Talespinner.

Awesome work and a great example on how to turn a normal object into something else.

Those straws are indeed greet pipes.

When painted this will be a worthy show off piece for any game or just for fun photo backdrops.

I do not game and I have only build a few terrain / backdrop pieces.

Like Malefactus, just for the fun of it and to use for photos to show off my minis with.

Keep this up!

It's wonderful and we learn from it.

• Thanks 1

Great greebles all around, but the bendy-straw pipes are particularly inspiring.  I'll have to try using some to spruce up some of my retro-cyberpunk and post-apoc terrain bits!

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Boaz
      Before I moved I was working on a RPG campaign concept that I have not been able to get off the ground since I moved so thought I'd kick the idea around here in the off chance it might start a fire with someone else ...

So the game starts in an alternate reality with the gaming group stating them selves out as starting players, not 100% accurate but an alternate reality version of himself that fits into a starting player profile for whatever game system you like to use ...

Once stated out the players will get together for game night,  in the alternate reality version of where your group gets to get her to play ... you get the idea, your playing a alternate reality version of you, but this alternate reality gets interrupted by an mini zombie apocalypse, a freak storm and weird lightning bolts that turn people into zombies ...

Being game nerds your group react accordingly and start putting down the zombies and figuring out what's going on ... a great opportunity to have some fun with the local peeps ... the players lern that the trouble is ruminating from a mysterious tower that appeared out of nowhere at a local golf course / sports field / etc large open spot ... the players gear up and do what players do, poke their nose in to fine a much queen rounding up zombie slaves to take back home with her ... 

Only once the players take the evil much queen out do they discover her life sustained the tower in this plain, at the moment she died the tower and all inside return to her plane of origin ... the fantasy world of ... 

The players and whatever firepower they have ammased now find themselves in a new world full of new challenges ... filled with your favorite minis of course ... they will have to find and ally with some locals to eat/learn to survive in their strange new world ...

As the year rolls round one customer seems to stand out more and more, the clan / tribe / town your players allied with are obsessed with collecting the skulls of their enimie race works/ lizard folk / whatever you have handy ... they must collect s quota for their gods before they return and time is running out ... the players must prove their worth and bag some skulls soon.

On the appointed time they come ... your allies see their gods descending in a chariot of fire ... your group see a drop ship with a party of powered armored warriors here to collect a pile of skulls and thank the locals for keeping the hostile race numbers down with a few thank you trinkets.

The warriors from space are sure to see you are different and take you with them to the stars ... and so begins the 3rd phasebofbthe game, space, the next frontier...

Start with zombie apocalypse,  take you time ...
       Shift to fantasy (magic = psychics) take more time ...
       Shift to science fiction with alien vertions of the fantasy world ... all agreed to a wager over the planet,  most skulls wins or something like that but limited to primitive tech only ... on the planet ... some argue the players are cgeaterd but thay have seen things wail on the planet that exsposes others as cheats ... thing go from bad to worse ... in just the way a GM can get some mileage out of ... 
    • By Darsc Zacal
      Kickstarter is Live and has reached the initial funding level:
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/star-saga-the-sci-fi-dungeon-crawler?ref=nav_search

From the Mantic Newsletter:
      "Star Saga: The Eiras Contract will see players guide a team of space mercenaries on a mission to retrieve stolen data plans from a research facility orbiting a far-off alien world. Players will take on platoons of minions, powerful alien bosses and be forced to make difficult choices as the story takes unexpected twists and turns.

The spiritual sequel to Dungeon Saga, Star Saga introduces newly improved and stronger rulesets, 'learn as you go' rules for new players and, more detailed, advanced mechanics for seasoned gamers."

If it wasn't for Mantics long history of fulfilment issues/delays/changes I'd be tempted by this. It sounds like the game I've been waiting for.
      Instead I'll likely just keep an eye on the Kickstarter and consider buying at retail.
    • By Pingo
      These are from the old Grenadier set #1502 Robo Hunters from the Future Warriors range, sculpted by Mark Copplestone, a vision of the future from the 1980s.

I wanted to paint up some PoC figures. The Grace Jones lookalike was an obvious choice, as was the glowering dude in dreadlocks. The teenager fits too. There's also a guy with some ludicrous hair but I didn't paint him this time.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers.

• By Darsc Zacal
      EDIT: This kickstarter is now Live:
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cmon/zombicide-invader

"Humans came to PK-L7 in search of high powered fuel. They found it with Xenium, a dark, oily compound deep below the planet’s surface. But they found something else too. The Xenos attack was brutal and unrelenting, and they’re still coming. On April 10 at 3pm EST, Zombicide: Invader is coming to Kickstarter. Follow the CMON and Guillotine Games Facebook pages for regular updates on the Survivors, Xenos, Equipment, and Environments of this interstellar battle for life, and look for our interview with the Zombicide: Invader design team later this week. Grab a weapon, barricade the doors, and prepare to be invaded."

Zombicide:Invader is a cooperative game where 1 to 6 players face Xenos, an unfathomable swarm of infected Xenos controlled by the game itself. Each player takes on the role of 1 to 6 Survivors in a sci-fi setting being overwhelmed by these Xenos. The goal is simple: choose a Mission, complete its objectives, kill as many Xenos as possible, and (most importantly) survive!

Survivors will fight Xenos, rescue each other, recover vital data, unveil dark secrets, and much more! Survivors can be Civilians or Soldiers, each with specialized Skills. They all play together as a team, trading Equipment, and covering each other. They use whatever weapons they can get to kill Xenos and slow the invasion. The better the weapon, the higher the body count, but the more Xenos will appear, attracted by the onslaught! Survivors must also be mindful of their location as conventional weapons work fine indoors, but the planet’s oxygen-starved surface, they’ll need to arm themselves with more specialized weaponry… Lasers, anyone?

Most of the time, Xenos are predictable, but there are a lot of them and they use nasty tactics not encountered in previous Zombicidegames. Only through cooperation can players achieve the Mission objectives and win."
      -
      I haven't backed a CMoN kickstarter in a awhile, but I think this one might tempt me depending on what the minis and gameplay are like.

• By Boaz
      Started building a Kulathi battle force and colony outpost for their Kuden-3 outpost, in the Beehive star cluster, in the crab nebula ... 

Having 3 fingers a hand and 6 limbs the number system fore the Kulathi is based on 6 ... with 2,3 and 4 also prominent, so I based there units on 6 ...

An officer (2 pistols = smg) 3 left hand smg and 2 right hand automatic rifles make a strike team ... no other unit types teams can exceed the number of strike teams.

The fire team has 1 officer 1 smg and 4 auto rifles ... a longer ranged bite.

I'm also adding a few hound of Tindalos units (4 with 1 smg and 1 officer kulathi) with bigger things in the works ...

• Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)