Beagle

Sweet/candy exchange

'sup colonial chums? What's goin down?

Nope I can't manage it, I'll stick to the Queen's English.

So, I was watching a little gizmo on the interweb called Youtube, it's a hub service to which people upload videos of things happening. Earlier today I was enjoying a musical video from a new band calling themselves The Dire Straights, performing The Sultans of Swing at the Alchemy tour, it certainly got my foot tapping.

Carried away with the musical groove I was slow to notice that the videomatogram had finished and before me was what I assumed (from their unconventional clothing and drawling destruction of Her Majesty's language) to be a colonial person. It transpires that this person was carrying out a 'taste test' wherein they consumed small amounts of British confectionaries and then commented on the aforementioned sweets. To say I was intrigued does a significant injustice to my own ability to be emotional, between the gargling and slurred words was much chomping and slurping and pulled faces of delight and amazement.

It occurred to me that I know a few colonials through these and the Green Bay Packers forums and that it might be fun to do some intercontinental sweety swappage of our own. So what do you think? Any takers? I might be willing to cover two boxes, so the first two people to respond with a hearty 'Aye' and slap of their thigh I will consider myself to be in league with and will PM them details of one of my outside London residences.

Canadians are, I'm afraid, excluded from this offer.

Edited by Beagle
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

As a frequent consumer of sugary confections, I would be honoured to participate in exchange of said confections. 

What would you be interested in receiving? 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Okie dokie. Consider yourself signed up OneBoot. 

Bit difficult to say what I want as I expect most things I've heard of are available here. The one thing I've tried that you can't buy here was a 'peanut butter cup'(??) or something, it was OK but didn't blow me away. I've always been curious about Twinkies since watching Ghostbusters...I don't really know what they are. But I'll try anything.

How about you? Any preferences, allergies?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Beagle said:

Okie dokie. Consider yourself signed up OneBoot. 

Bit difficult to say what I want as I expect most things I've heard of are available here. The one thing I've tried that you can't buy here was a 'peanut butter cup'(??) or something, it was OK but didn't blow me away. I've always been curious about Twinkies since watching Ghostbusters...I don't really know what they are. But I'll try anything.

How about you? Any preferences, allergies?

You can't get Reeses peanut butter cups there? How odd! 

Twinkies are essentially a sponge cake with a cream-filled center, but in my opinion aren't quite as tasty as that description implies. I liked them a lot more as a kid. But I can certainly include a few! ^_^

No allergies here. I like gummy candy, hard candy, biscuits (aka cookies) and chocolate (milk chocolate is preferred, though if dark is included MrBoot may actually get some :lol:). No coffee- or tea-flavoured, please; I don't care much for the taste. 

How about yourself? Allergies, preferences? 

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

I don't know if it's wise for you to have my address... but I'm always a sucker for sweets. 

Sucker...sweets..LOOOOOOOOOOOOL I see what you did there.

Right oh Thes, let's do it.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

You can't get Reeses peanut butter cups there? How odd! 

Twinkies are essentially a sponge cake with a cream-filled center, but in my opinion aren't quite as tasty as that description implies. I liked them a lot more as a kid. But I can certainly include a few! ^_^

No allergies here. I like gummy candy, hard candy, biscuits (aka cookies) and chocolate (milk chocolate is preferred, though if dark is included MrBoot may actually get some :lol:). No coffee- or tea-flavoured, please; I don't care much for the taste. 

How about yourself? Allergies, preferences? 

Huzzah!

Yes, Reeses peanut butter cups..I'm not a fan of peanut butter so they didn't press any buttons for me.

Coffee and tea flavoured sweets are pretty rare here so I won't include any of those. How about Harry Potter sweets?

I don't really have any allergies, just the Philadelphia Eagles and the French

15 minutes ago, Thes Hunter said:

I don't know if it's wise for you to have my address.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I'll keep the peanut butter sweets to a minimum, then. 

Harry Potter sweets sound fun! Except no Bertie Botts beans, since I've had those a few times already. They are...interesting. Particularly when one eats the 'Dirt' and 'Grass' ones together. :lol:

I will do my best to not include any Eagles or French in your box. It will be a struggle, but I'll manage somehow. 

Huzzah!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm actually having a lot of fun researching what sweets aren't easily available in the UK. 

A couple questions: Do you have any interest in cinnamon-flavoured candies? How about sour ones? Would you be interested in candy that literally makes tiny explosions in your mouth (Poprocks)? 

Huzzah!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Umm I like cinnamon but not wild about it in sweets (I say that but I’ve never tried it), I really like sour sweets. 

We have popping candy here, I don’t know if it’s exactly the same. It used to be called moondust. 

Im going to watch some more of the YouTube vids to see what’s available in the States. I’ll start shopping tomorrow with a view to sending a parcel at the weekend.

do you like crisps (or chips, as your countrymen incorrectly call them)?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beagle said:

[...]

Canadians are, I'm afraid, excluded from this offer.

That's only because you know we have ALL the good candy.  ::D:  

Honestly most of the candy in the USA isn't all that.  I like Dove and Ghiradelli dark chocolates, but I fear you might be disappointed with this arrangement.  Unless you like macadamia nuts, which could be a special treat for you.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Beagle said:

do you like crisps (or chips, as your countrymen incorrectly call them)?

I like them okay, but I don't know how well they'd survive the trip. Nothing spicy, if you do send any. :)

I will love any Cadbury chocolates you send, they're so smooth! Even though I'm an American, I don't care for plain Hershey's; I've been spoiled by good chocolate, so Hershey's just tastes like slightly acidic wax to me. I can send some if you'd like me to, though.

Huzzah!

• Like 3

Honestly, Twinkies probably aren't worth trying - the "cream" filling is nothing but sugar and the sponge cake is so full of preservatives that the expiration date is determined by carbon dating...  :rolleyes:  (I mean, sure, if you're just trying one to mark it off your Bucket List or something... But overall, Twinkies have a very "processed" taste.)

On a general note, a lot of things that contain chocolate may or may not be available in either the US or the UK depending on which company makes them - as I understand it, the European chocolate companies hold a majority of the market in the UK, and I've heard anecdotes about them actively working to keep US companies out of it. And there are also certain items within a number of companies that are either specifically only produced for sale within certain countries or at the very least not imported in bulk...

Oh, btw, if you ladies haven't tried Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles, they're freaking awesome. My local supermarket has them in their UK foods section.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

I like them okay, but I don't know how well they'd survive the trip. Nothing spicy, if you do send any. :)

I will love any Cadbury chocolates you send, they're so smooth! Even though I'm an American, I don't care for plain Hershey's; I've been spoiled by good chocolate, so Hershey's just tastes like slightly acidic wax to me. I can send some if you'd like me to, though.

Huzzah!

Milk Chocolate we have in abundance so I can send that in many forms. 

Never tried Hersheys chocolate but I swear I heard once that they use paraffin oil in it.

1 hour ago, LittleBluberry said:

That's only because you know we have ALL the good candy.  ::D:  

Honestly most of the candy in the USA isn't all that.  I like Dove and Ghiradelli dark chocolates, but I fear you might be disappointed with this arrangement.  Unless you like macadamia nuts, which could be a special treat for you.

It's because everything is maple syrup or sea otter flavoured. I like Macadamia nuts

32 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Honestly, Twinkies probably aren't worth trying - the "cream" filling is nothing but sugar and the sponge cake is so full of preservatives that the expiration date is determined by carbon dating...  :rolleyes:  (I mean, sure, if you're just trying one to mark it off your Bucket List or something... But overall, Twinkies have a very "processed" taste.)

On a general note, a lot of things that contain chocolate may or may not be available in either the US or the UK depending on which company makes them - as I understand it, the European chocolate companies hold a majority of the market in the UK, and I've heard anecdotes about them actively working to keep US companies out of it. And there are also certain items within a number of companies that are either specifically only produced for sale within certain countries or at the very least not imported in bulk...

Oh, btw, if you ladies haven't tried Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles, they're freaking awesome. My local supermarket has them in their UK foods section.

I guess Cadbury's, Rowntree and Nestle are the powerhouses here. I'm reliably informed by various non British acquaintances that our milk chocolate is very good. 

• Like 3