Jump to content

Beagle

Sweet/candy exchange

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, NomadZeke said:

This sounds likea fun idea, though I kinda want stroopwaffels ::P:

If only we had a resident clog-wearing wolf who could help out

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just messin' around a little at this point as you already got your 2 people. I figure that besides, I had family/friends take business trips to england and bring back (some) sweets so I have an idea of what it's like.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beagle said:

Never tried Hersheys chocolate but I swear I heard once that they use paraffin oil in it.

 

No, just really cheap ingredients. I will include a bar of the only Hershey's I actually like (mostly since it has toffee and almonds in it), since the chocolate seems to be a bit higher quality than the standard plain bar and lacks the acidic aftertaste of the same.

EDIT: After a cursory google search, it seems that my impressions were correct; Symphony bars really are intentionally better quality. ::D: 

 

Oh! I almost forgot! I've always wanted to try Turkish Delight ever since the first time I read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe as a child. Can you easily acquire some? If not, or if it's pricey, don't worry about it.

 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Turkish delight is tasty. I have a recipe that makes something similar that replaces the water with absinthe. Haven't had the occasion to try it yet.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@OneBoot, if you're ever passing through the Leavenworth area, a little farther east is the factory that makes Applets & Cotlets.  The recipe was adapted from Turkish Delight, and it's quite yummy.  It also happens to be available everywhere in the PNW, from what I've seen. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LittleBluberry said:

@OneBoot, if you're ever passing through the Leavenworth area, a little farther east is the factory that makes Applets & Cotlets.  The recipe was adapted from Turkish Delight, and it's quite yummy.  It also happens to be available everywhere in the PNW, from what I've seen. 

 

Oh, I've had those, they're super delicious! I pretended they were Turkish Delight while I was eating them, but I didn't know they were adapted from the original recipe. How funny!

 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

 

 Honestly, Twinkies probably aren't worth trying - the "cream" filling is nothing but sugar and the sponge cake is so full of preservatives that the expiration date is determined by carbon dating...  :rolleyes:  (I mean, sure, if you're just trying one to mark it off your Bucket List or something... But overall, Twinkies have a very "processed" taste.)

 

 On a general note, a lot of things that contain chocolate may or may not be available in either the US or the UK depending on which company makes them - as I understand it, the European chocolate companies hold a majority of the market in the UK, and I've heard anecdotes about them actively working to keep US companies out of it. And there are also certain items within a number of companies that are either specifically only produced for sale within certain countries or at the very least not imported in bulk...

 

 Oh, btw, if you ladies haven't tried Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles, they're freaking awesome. My local supermarket has them in their UK foods section.

 

Double Thumbs Up on the Fruit Pastilles

GEM

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I tried Turkish Delight for the first time, I immediately determined that Edmund's candy in The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe had been enchanted with an addiction spell. While Turkish Delight might have been impressive to people without ready access to pounds and pounds of processed sugar and artificial flavorings... it's not wildly flavorful to a modern American. Tastes like very fresh whipped taffy flavored with rosewater.

Twinkies are easy. Get a small sponge cake. Inject it with whipped vanilla flavored creamed filling, made mainly with oil and sugar. Eat. Twinkies sell well in America because we all grew up with them, not because they're all that great.

As a rule, British chocolate is better than most American chocolate, simply because Brit chocolatiers aren't allowed to adulterate the stuff to the extent that Hershey's can and does. There are American chocolates that seem to be mainly carnuba wax, far as I can tell.

I'm convinced that the Canadians are engaged in some sort of weird conspiracy to keep the REALLY GOOD stuff for themselves. Why else is it hard to get Coffee Crisp in the US?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

As a rule, British chocolate is better than most American chocolate, simply because Brit chocolatiers aren't allowed to adulterate the stuff to the extent that Hershey's can and does. There are American chocolates that seem to be mainly carnuba wax, far as I can tell.

 

 Like the chocolate-colored mini donuts...

Yes, chocolate-colored, not chocolate-covered - they may be chocolate-colored, but they taste like crayons.

Part of the rise of dark chocolate to such prominence in the US is the fact that milk chocolate has fallen so low...

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So let’s see if I have this straight.

 

You would like sweets from the states. Oneboot is going to cover the Twinkies. 

 

You dont need milk chocolate, or cinnamon flavored sweets. 

 

I will I’ll go out tomorrow to make my selections. If you find anything in particular you would like, let me know. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

 

 Like the chocolate-colored mini donuts...

Yes, chocolate-colored, not chocolate-covered - they may be chocolate-colored, but they taste like crayons.

Part of the rise of dark chocolate to such prominence in the US is the fact that milk chocolate has fallen so low...

 

 

Yes, exactly. But there are actual chocolate confections that seem to be made of that same waxy, flavorless chocolate. I noticed it twenty years ago, when I ate a Hershey bar and then a Nestle's bar. The Nestle's had a creamier texture and was more flavorful. And for some reason now, Nestle's plain chocolate bars are quite difficult to find. You want really GOOD chocolate, you have to buy European.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

 

Yes, exactly. But there are actual chocolate confections that seem to be made of that same waxy, flavorless chocolate. I noticed it twenty years ago, when I ate a Hershey bar and then a Nestle's bar. The Nestle's had a creamier texture and was more flavorful. And for some reason now, Nestle's plain chocolate bars are quite difficult to find. You want really GOOD chocolate, you have to buy European.

 

For the most part, I agree. There is a chocolate producer in Hawaii that grows and then processes their own cocoa beans.  Their chocolate is excellent, 100% made in the USA, but very expensive.  If you're in the Kailua Kona area then I highly recommend doing a tour.  (Can't link, but search for "Original Hawaiian Chocolate" and you'll find them.)  

 

I had earlier listed Ghiradelli as a USA chocolate producer, because they're based in San Francisco.  Since they're a subsidiary of Lindt I'm not sure whether they count as European or American chocolate.  I suspect a lot of the decent chocolate you can find in the USA is at least partially manufactured in Europe.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm willing to participate.

 

Dutch Stroopwafels and Roze Koeken, Speculaas?

Maybe Licorice, Boterbabbelaars, zuurstokken, Hopjes?

 

Let me know.

 

When I visited the USA I brought home reeses peanutbuttercups a lot of different M&M's ( we only have the peanut and the chocolate and the crispy here, yellow, brown or blue packages) and some candybars with salted caramel in chocolate etc..

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I'm willing to participate.

 

Dutch Stroopwafels and Roze Koeken, Speculaas?

Maybe Licorice, Boterbabbelaars, zuurstokken, Hopjes?

 

Let me know.

 

When I visited the USA I brought home reeses peanutbuttercups a lot of different M&M's ( we only have the peanut and the chocolate and the crispy here, yellow, brown or blue packages) and some candybars with salted caramel in chocolate etc..

I would entertain this. I don't know much about most of what you listed (Though licorice i'm not a huge fan of, I like some things)

I have an edge here because I live about 15min away from a massive ware-house style candy store.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NomadZeke said:

I would entertain this. I don't know much about most of what you listed (Though licorice i'm not a huge fan of, I like some things)

I have an edge here because I live about 15min away from a massive ware-house style candy store.

 

hopjes

Roze Koek

Zuurstok

Spoiler

image.jpeg.f07dc72d3289d8c9fade89ebe728d9e6.jpeg

 

Speculaas

 

 

Boterbabbelaars

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.257025a3c481e2ec404c9547709a7ab6.jpeg

 

 

Licorice / Dropjes

Spoiler

image.jpeg.f310bbba9b035c0e0a785764410ffa6e.jpeg

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×