kristof65

Tycho AFV for my NOVA Corp soldiers - WIP

Finally getting to print pieces!!!!  Started with the hatches since they were the quickest ones that I might need to tweak the design of.

IMG_20171114_214439.thumb.jpg.f4b8e800903b1b7e66fad060c069fd1d.jpg

• Like 2

The hatches have printed, and I've started upon the upper hull. It will take a good 7-8 hours to print, so hopefully nothing goes wrong overnight, and I'll have something good to show off tomorrow morning.IMG_20171114_221035.thumb.jpg.5c25e3a534467c4797336817d3f1bec7.jpg

• Like 2

So here we go.  Discovered a problem. My socket idea for adding different accessories is probably not going to work.  My slicing software (the software that converts the digital files into code for the printer) puts supports in the sockets that are proving to be difficult to dig out.  So I'm going to have to revisit that idea, and perhaps just build those details in.  The hatches, though, proved to work just like I wanted them to.  By using a small piece of raw filament as the hinge pin, I can pose them closed or open at any angle.  For robustness, I'll probably have to glue them in a single position though, just to keep them from breaking later on. 

TychoUpperHullPrintFrontSmal_111517.thumb.png.7d793b6157392a9a76b140bcee95e1a8.png

TychoUpperHullPrintRearSmall_111517.thumb.png.0224b6eca4cebc706f24bc04333c8cb5.png

And the first half of the turret just finished printing!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chaosscorpion said:

Do you plan to sand the planes of the APC smooth?

Yes.  There will be a round of sanding, followed by a coat of primer, followed by a  second round of sanding, followed by a second round of primer, followed by a third round of sanding, followed by my base coat.  At that point, it should look relatively smooth. 

Visually, it appears rougher than it is texture-wise, especially in the photos. 

OK, so my "sculpt" is done, all the pieces are printed. There are some things I'll be tweaking before my next print and upload to Thingiverse, but for the most part, here's the "finished" product.

The upper hull, which I've shown before:

Tycho_UpperHull_111517small.thumb.png.75bf25751feb0d65acca4f619ee07180.png

The lower hull. I was going to try something that looked like big fan blades, but I gave up. The two holes at either end are for the flight stands.
Tycho_LowerHull_111517small.thumb.png.309b916dc4e5a63a1a6cc7e8b5c5355e.png

The two halves of the turret. I have been using small holes and pieces of raw filament as a way of lining pieces up and holding them together:

Tycho_TurretHalves_111517small.thumb.png.511610f8e3246cd4eefdda5fe2314da5.png

The hatches. You can see where I've used raw filament as a hinge pin:

Tycho_Hatches_111517small.thumb.png.622919712e9467c010de20990ecca7f1.png

The main gun, with both barrel options:

Tycho_MainGuns_111517small.thumb.png.8e8f4ab2a6e0988730c036c589999688.png

And finally, the whole thing, fitted together, up on some Reaper Flight stands, along with the NOVA Corp soldier who will be assigned as the tank commander:

Tycho_onBase3_111517small.thumb.png.f15ba6882521e4c5ed76491be30efb2f.png

Since the "sculpt" portion is done, I'll be making a Work In Progress thread for the assembly and painting. 

• Like 5

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By kristof65
      OK, since the sculpting part of my Tycho AFV is done, I'm continuing the rest of the build here.   If you want to see the modeling and printing portion of the Tycho, go here:
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/77726-tycho-afv-for-my-nova-corp-soldiers-wip/

I'm building this vehicle as a light tank for use with my NOVA Corp soldiers. First off, if you haven't read the sculpting thread, here's what the Tycho looks like. The 80010 NOVA Corp Sgt standing next to it has just been selected as the tank commander:

I haven't been designing models for 3d Printing for very long, but I have already gotten in the habit of creating my designs to use small pilot holes and small pieces of raw filament to align and pin pieces together:

I basically glue the filament in one side, and trim to fit into the other side. Then test fit, and glue. 

The two turret halves went together the same way.  Unfortunately for him, my NOVA Sgt had to sacrifice his legs to become a tank commander.

However, it's much easier for him to fit in his tank this way:

Next up was the first round of sanding.  As you can see, the print has lots of ridges.  The camera really magnifies them, though - they're actually 0.15 mm apart, and they feel a lot smoother than they look. After the first bit of sanding, I did some gap filling, and filled in a couple of holes I decided not to use because they got support material stuck in them. Next up will be a light sanding of the filler (Pro-Create) and then a coat of automotive spray primer, followed by more sanding. 

And here's what it looked like when I called it for the evening:

• By kristof65
      I'm working on a Christmas gift for a D&D playing friend. It's basically a "banner" of 3d letters spelling out a favorite phrase of hers, but each letter is embedded with D&D themed pictures. 

I've put a hidden meaning in this letter, but I want to see if it's too obvious, or too subtle.  Can you get it?

• By DrSmackMatters
      Hi all!  I haven't posted here in a while as I had to take a break from painting to do some remodeling on my house. That was two years ago.    Finally able to get back to this hobby I love so I wanted to organize my paint desk some.  I designed some paint racks to store my mini paints and figured that someone else might benefit from them as well.  I posted them on Thingiverse for all to use.  Totally free and open source!!

I am adding to them as people ask for additional brands of paint and other configurations.  If anyone prints them and needs some changes or additional options just let me know and I will be happy to see what I can do.  

Looking forward to getting involved again in this great community!!

Without further blabbing here are the links to the units:
      Large Straight - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2531450
      Small Straight - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2549451
      Inside Corner - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2543779
      Outside Corner - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2588073

Happy Painting!!!
    • By Axolotegaming
      We are live on our Third kickstarter, this one focuses on fantasy cultures and gives them each unique tiles that are 3d printable and you can make those very specific dungeon encounters or city role playing sessions.
      We also have some new Beasties that will be 3d print compatible! We hope you will join us, with 2 kickstarters on our belt we are confident that our record will be to your satisfaction if you are a new backer, and if you have already been with us you already know what to expect!

• By Matbar
      So I took a commission to paint some minis for a tabletop game.  I didn't even think to ask what material they were made from.  I get them, and they're 3D printed.  Have any of you primed and painted this stuff?  It's fairly high quality for 3D printing, but there are extremely slight striations.  I am hoping that primer will smooth it out, but now I'm concerned with how the primer will react to this material.  I have already seen what happens to the GW plastic when someone else applied the spray primer too close, so I'm thinking the safest thing might be brush on.

Any advice or help would be great.
  • Who's Online   32 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)