Gargs

Colors for painting snow

Okay, so I am going to be painting up this guy soon:

snowman.jpg.07cc1a91a15f242b44c606c3d98300e6.jpg

I'm curious about what colors to use for the snow on the snowman. It doesn't seem to be a pure white (which makes sense) but I couldn't tell really what colors were used. I know that blues and even really dark blues, are often used for shadows (I know that Nightmare Black is actually a favorite of at least one forumite), but its the "white" that has me unsure. Any ideas? (as for the base, I realize that there are a number of options for putting snow on the base).

As always, thanks in advance for any help?

• Like 1

There are at least a couple of blue-tinted whites in the Reaper paint lines... Factory White from the Heavy Gears line, and Ghost White from the MSPs... If you're going to mix your own color, be careful to only add a very tiny bit of blue into your white - even just a tiny drop will go a long, long way toward tinting it.

Although you could just base-coat the snowman a dark blue and use a pure white on it as well, since the darker blue undercoat will bring the brightness of the white down at least a little bit.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 5

Like @Mad Jack said Ghost White has a hint of blue in it and could work well for snow (I have an old bottle of it but I think it is called Spectral White).

I used Glacier Blue to tint the base on my Frost Giant, then put the snow flock over it to just give a small hint of blue.

Edit:  The Glacier Blue I believe is from VGC. 

Edited by NecroMancer
  • Like 3

Reaper MSP Snow Shadow is really nice for well.. shadows in snow... :;):

i also really like Reaper MSP leather white as it has a slight bluish tint to it. 

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, ub3r_n3rd said:

Reaper MSP Snow Shadow is really nice for well.. shadows in snow... :;):

What sorcery is this!?!?  :)

Seriously though, thanks all for the replies!

• Like 3

I did a Power Palette search over a year ago with pictures of snow. Shades of grey popped up as often as whites and blues.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Aryanun
      *BONK!* is here to answer your questions and give badmost excellent advice.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for incidents, accidents, disability, dismemberments, bite marks, lumps on heads, death, random bits of cat fur or mummy wrappings, or monetary loss for following the advice of a mummified cat plush toy.
    • By Pingo
      This is another of Julie Guthrie's beautiful giant werewolves, part of the Warlord Koborlas faction. This is my second Warlord figure painted. It was an attempt to make a gender-ambiguous werewolf, and as such I shaved down the chest armor a bit. Full WIP here.

Aislinn may be howling or sniffing the air or fighting a giant.  Looking up at any rate.

WIP thread here.
    • By SamuraiJack

About this project

The North… In the ice of an endless winter, man and creatures have fled these spaces. Former outposts of flourishing civilizations, all that is left today are ruins and memories of a time long past.

The glaciers have reclaimed their territory and in a slow crawl they once again shape these lands to immortalize their power. Peaks, cliffs, chasms, and snow… This is how this continent is now defined, as all eyes watch with apprehension, as if facing an implacable enemy.
      THM is proud to present our Chapter 3 campaign featuring the SNOW and ICE scenery pieces!
      All of our pieces are made with care and carefully packaged so that your experience is flawless. Finely detailed and varied, these terrain pieces are designed for 25-32mm miniatures and works great for any tabletop gaming universe whether it be medieval, futuristic or steampunk!These pieces are cast in the best resin available on the market making them shock resistant as well as easy to paint and carry around. They feature an impressive amount of details and will satisfy the most demanding wargamers and collectors.
      All items are sold unpainted If this set draws the attention of the community and THM reaches the funding, we have other sketches and pieces to share that will be unlocked according to the project's funding growth.
      Join the ranks and also give your support to this new thematic!!

• By Auberon
      Gaming books are just like any other book - they have word count targets as well as page count targets and the people who write them tend to go over their allotment. This requires an editor to trim the fat. Unfortunately one of the first things to go under the knife in a core book is the game master advice portion of the book. As anyone that's read more than a few tabletop RPG books has noticed, there is always some system specific advice, but the general advice seems to be the same basic ideas, maybe presented slightly differently, but repeated over and over across the industry.

Fortunately over the last couple of decades more and more books geared specifically for game masters have been published. For those GMs that want to up their game, whether it be plot, combat, handling NPCs, worldbuilding, or problem players there's advice out there for that. Not all of them give good advice and not all are worth picking up. This thread aims to be a resource, not just creating a list of books but also giving a bit of a review.

The books listed here will not include core books unless someone finds one with unique advice. At this point my idea is to keep the list more general and avoid books that are majority system specific.  You won't find the DMG listed here, but you might find a DMG II. After all, that's where the advice that got cut out of the first one ends up.

Title: Cityscape
      Authors: Ari Marmell & C.A. Suleiman
      System: 3.5E d20 (w/ a lot of more generally applicable sections)
      Publisher: WOTC (2006)
      ISBN: 978-0-7869-3939-8
      In Print: No

Title: GM Essentials Book 1: NPC Essentials
      Authors: Johnn Four
      System: Nominally 3.5E d20, but only one chapter is really tied to that system (a mini-adventure)
      Publisher: RPGObjects (2003)
      ISBN: 978-0-7869-3939-8
      In Print: No (?) Might be available electronically from Role Playing Tips (Johnn's Blog)

Title: Hamlet's Hit Points
      Author: Robin D. Laws
      System: None
      Publisher: Gameplaywright (2010)
      ISBN: 978-0-9818840-2-8
      In Print: Yes

Title: Heroes of Battle
      Author: David Noonan, Will McDermott, Stephen Schubert
      System: 3E (but applicable to other systems)
      Publisher: WOTC (2005)
      ISBN: 0-7869-3686-X
      In Print: No

Title: Kobold Guide to Worldbuilding
      Author: Wolfgang Bauer, Michael Stackpole, Keith Baker, Monte Cook, and others
      System: None (fantasy-oriented)
      Publisher: Kobold Press (2012)
      ISBN: 978-1936781119

Title: A Mighty Fortress
      Author:
      System: 2E d20 (but it is also a historical reference)
      Publisher: TSR (1992)
      ISBN: 1-56076-372-8
      In Print: No, but .pdf

Title: Play Dirty
      Author: John Wick
      Publisher: John Wick (2015)
      ISBN: 978-0990547853

Title: Play Dirty 2
      Author: John Wick
      Publisher: John Wick (2015)
      ISBN: 978-0990547860

Title: Robin's Laws of Good Game Mastering
      Author: Robin D. Laws
      Publisher: Steve Jackson Games (2002)
      ISBN: 1-55634-629-8
      In Print: Not last I checked, but you can track down a .pdf

• By VolksFest
      Her meditation was disrupted by the soft knocking at her cell in the basement of the temple grounds. The acolyte's tone spoke of subtle alarm and a sense of urgency. 
      - You have a visitor Master Paladin, Ma'am. He says you know him.
      - Does he now. Did he give a name?
      - Yes Ma'am, he said you would know him as ehem "Orc Slayer"? 
      - I see. I will see him at the Chapel shortly.

- So it is you Arthrand.. It has been a long time.
      - It indeed has Finari. I would love to sit and chat and share fond memories of vanquishing evil but I have dire news and an urgent mission.
      - That I can see. What is it this time?
      - A necromancer, headed to the ruins of Felstad.
      - I see.. You do know that we have to fight magic with magic, right? I will gladly join you but we need magicians we can trust if we are to prevail.
      - Of course. I am on it already.. so, you are in?
      - When do we ride?

Speed paint and home made snow.

This particular bones figure was a little disfigured at the face.. Well, gotta work with what you have.. 

Thanks for looking and C&C is always welcome.
  • Who's Online   9 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)