Having a hard time getting started back up on my keeper's sanctum diorama... I think I need to purposely take a break from it and work on some other stuff to get my creative juices flowing again. I have this idea in my head for a 75mm diorama featuring black sun miniatures' "Barbarian and the Lost Princess" (Conan) vs SC75's "Brock the Wanderer

I'm thinking in this piece that it will have Conan carrying the princess through a dungeon type setting and then Brock standing there in front of a doorway. I'm going to really pull from artwork that I admire in regards to barbarians such as Frazetta and Patrick J. Jones.

Right now I'm cleaning off the flash and mold lines, as soon as I do that, I'll wash everything and start to assemble as much as I can without causing issues during painting. 

759F3A55-FEBE-4CEC-A80A-4821B61FA3CF.thumb.jpeg.6794fc44b64d306885e44b18b991cbfb.jpeg2670576F-E94D-4E08-827B-0E8492D3AB56.thumb.jpeg.c445485d4953bd0d5da47e43291962d6.jpeg

Mood and color scheme inspiration pic from Patrick J. Jones -

1688C509-FAB7-46F0-ADEA-75B6FD3F7EDC.thumb.jpeg.45f2a2d8b5adbce55e9d2e3da21acceb.jpeg

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 18

*** Jeez this place is getting infested with Barbarians lately***

Good luck with this one!

***Ok I get how some adventurers take some supplies with them, but carrying your girl with you the whole time? pffff....****

• Like 1

12 hours ago, knarthex said:

Go Ub3r Go!

I’m givin’ ‘er all she’s got Cap’n!

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

*** Jeez this place is getting infested with Barbarians lately***

Good luck with this one!

***Ok I get how some adventurers take some supplies with them, but carrying your girl with you the whole time? pffff....****

Infested?! More like they are moving in and getting comfortable. :;):

1 hour ago, Adrift said:

Conan has a shield, though I doubt it'll last very long

Hah! Knowing you, that’s what you’d do! ::P: 

• Like 1

Had another idea for the basing and scene on this one. 

A portion of a temple behind Conan and the princess. They are going down a worn an muddy path towards a bridge (with a 2-part resin pour of water below) and in the other side is Brock, he’s up a bit higher leering down with weapons drawn and ready to try to stop them. 

I'm also open to other ideas before I get started on the basing. So feel free to toss out some thoughts!

I still need to get all the mold lines off Conan and then glue pieces together and fill any gaps.  

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 3

I just washed everything off with my trusty old mini-washing toothbrush and warm soapy water to get the mold releases and finger oils off. Gotta dry everything and then proceed with putting stuff together with glue, pins, and putty to fill gaps. Everything seems to dry-fit pretty well together, but there are some very minor gaps and I want this to look really good so I'll make sure there aren't any gaps. 

• Like 2

You might want to link your inspirational pic.

Can't wait to see how you paint these.

There is a lot of skin.

Will there be tattoos ?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By HolkDiggity
      This was my entry into the Quarterly Bones contest on facebook. I liked painting him, but he was a bit challenging, what with all the little separate details. I'm really looking forward to the next one!

• By Axolotegaming
      We just launched our campaign for awesome gargantuan dragons, they are 20 cm high, they will look huge compared to 32mm miniatures, the design of every dragon is also unique and different. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dracostudios/dragons-of-the-red-moon

We hope you can join us on this draconic adventure!

• By Kangaroorex
      Well, I did it.  We now have a cute little Christmas scene with mama Blightfang and her wee ones getting ready for the holidays!  A little early for some holiday cheer but it was fun 

Learned a few things: don't use wood glue to hold down snow it gives a disturbing yellow cast.  Blightfangs scales are actually leaves, making her more of a forest dragon than a classic green, and I think one of her children was adopted...

I really had a lot of fun with this, even if it wasn't my best work.  It came out well.  I really like the red and teal fades on the wings.

I hope everyone enjoys this little window into the holidays...

and one more thing.  Although it shows off the teal wings really well and it's an adventurers favorite view, the backside of a dragon is not the most exciting!

• By Heisler
      This is the third in a series of four posts each concentrating on a different entry category. You can find information about the scoring system itself in the Painter Division post. From here forward I will just concentrate on how the component guidelines apply to the other three divisions

Diorama Division
      The Diorama Division does not exist in the MMSI structure. At MMSI a diorama goes into the Open Division as it encompasses the same set of skills. I, however, felt the Open Division ignored or down played the story and what is a diorama without a story?  This is the division that lets you show off the same skills that the Open Division does and wrap it around a story. Again if you have just a single entry then the judges can just go ahead and score your entry, no discussion is necessary. If you have multiple entries, then there will be a discussion between the judges on which entry they want to score. That conversation is typically the only conversation although these discussions tend to be longer than they might be in the Painter Division.  However, when selecting the scoring entry the conversation is still based on “I can score this one higher than the others” or words to that affect, till they come to a decision just as it would be for the Painter Division. 

Let’s take a quick look at the scoring guidelines the judges use (which is published as part of the MSP Open rules. One cautionary note’ these particular scoring guidelines may change slightly):
      Difficulty: 15%
      Creativity: 15%
      Workmanship: 25%
      Painting Skill: 30%
      Presentation: 15%

What does this mean for the Diorama Division? In this division we are really want to see all your hobby skills as well as your story telling ability. While the components remain the same the emphasis has obviously changed a great deal.

Difficulty: This is a tough one for the Diorama category, since most dioramas are difficult to begin with. We reduced the emphasis here because we feel that you should not take a hit for a good story that is comparatively simple to tell.  

Creativity: Creativity steps up a bit here.  While painting is still factor this is the portion that shows us the story you are telling. Now painting is combined with your ability to convert, sculpt and tell a story to your audience. The entrant’s imagination comes into play here, you are looking to tell a story to your viewers. You are striving for the audience to understand your story without commentary from you. It can be subtle or in your face but if you have to explain it then you have not succeeded.

Workmanship: This remains a pretty straightforward component but in the Diorama Division there is a higher emphasis on it. It reflects how well constructed the entire piece is. Any type of non-painting effort is represented here. This is includes your ability to do conversions and/or scratch sculpt or at least be able to blend your miniatures in with the scene you have constructed. A missed mold line, poor assembly or a poorly executed conversion could easily drop you a while numeric value in the scoring.

Painting Skill: Everything that was said about painting still applies in the Diorama Division but there is less emphasis. At this point workmanship and creativity components exceed the painting component. While we don’t expect your abilities to be exactly equal in those areas you cannot count on your ability to paint alone to carry you over the top.

Presentation:  There is more emphasis on the is component as well. You are building the entire entry, essentially from scratch, and the presentation of everything you do affects the story. From the miniatures to the setting, this is where it all comes together. How you present it can be the difference between gold and silver.
    • By Orlando_the_Technicoloured
      Here is a little preview of Lilyana one of our core minis for that set.
  • Who's Online   48 Members, 4 Anonymous, 128 Guests (See full list)