Hello art family! Y'all might remember my 2016 thread, where I focused on making a habit of drawing every day. 2017 was wild and I decided against a thread here, but I have continued that art streak through this year with a slight change - painting and sculpting was allowed to sustain that miniatures habit. ^_^ 

I'm getting a bit of a headstart with my 2018 thread! I'd love to learn some fancy traditional art school basics, and I think a lot of these things transfer over to most any type of art, like mini painting and sculpting.

I see lots of friends here talking about color, lighting, and MORE CONTRAST, and I think we should check those cool things out!

When I start a new subject, I will list (but not link) books, websites, or other references so you can follow along if you'd like. ::D: 

Mori's Learning List!

1. The Learning Mindset

2. Proportions - The Head 

3. Proportions - The Body

4. Anatomy 

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 5

1. The Learning Mindset

I realize that I've failed to properly appreciate my drive for knowledge, and just assumed that everyone wants to learn.

Friends, we are willing to work hard and try new things, and that's a pretty amazing thing!

I also have an inspiration board (it's currently in storage because I don't have room, sadness) pinned with drawings from people I admire, notes from friends, and quotes that I love that keep me going. It was awesome to look up from my desk and see positivity! Here are a couple lovely quotes that I remember I had pinned on my board (that aren't too personal. :;): )

On 1/6/2016 at 4:07 PM, knarthex said:

If you expect poor results, you will achieve poor results...

Aspire to lofty goals, you will get there!

George

On 1/12/2016 at 8:22 AM, CashWiley said:

Motivation is fleeting and unpredictable. Do not wait for it.

Instead, cultivate discipline. Discipline will see you through the times when flighty motivation has left you.

Okay, there are very few things I've read by Loomis that haven't gotten me all fired up. He's just so FIERCE about learning and I LOVE IT.

I'll only do one quote or I may as well just end up buying you all copies of his book because I'll try to type it all up here. 

If you want to draw, if you want to gamble all your chips for stakes that are really worth while, you have an excellent chance of winning. If you just dabble, you will certainly lose your ante, for the others in the game are playing their hands for all they are worth. I have met students who have said they would like to learn drawing as a "sideline." There are no sidelines. You are either in the game or out of it.
- Andrew Loomis

Doesn't that just make you go, "YAAAAH! ART. LEARNING!" Or is that just me? .... Yeah? :lol: 

Once I have created a learning order I'm happy with, we'll get this thread started! Feel free to suggest anything we should check out.

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 5

The inspiration board from my previous post! I got it out and rewrote the stuff on it a few  weeks ago but haven't had the energy to hang it up or post it here. Here it is, finally!

I shouldn't tag everyone here or it would look like one of those crazy instagram posts. ::P: I also need to add the cards I got from Knarthex and Loim (thank you, friends).

inspiration.jpg.010410d848d9141708135ccd52e01b42.jpg

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Morihalda
      Hey all! This thread will be about my sculpting journey. I hope that by showing the time and effort it takes it pursue an art, others would be excited about trying it without getting discouraged by the climb up. I plan on posting daily here - I might as well continue my daily art streak!

Some days might have some cool stuff, but many will probably be like, "Oh man. I sculpted a lot of fur today. A. Lot."
      Anyways. Hopefully y'all will get some enjoyment out of it. Here's to day 1 (tomorrow)!

Comments and praise are appreciated, but please give critiques too!

Links to Sculpting Posts:
      Anatomy Practice Skeleton:
      06/19/17     06/20/17     06/21/17    06/22/17     06/23/17     06/24/17     06/25/17 RIP in pieces

First and Second Miniatures:
      06/26/17     06/27/17     06/28/17     06/29/17     06/30/17     07/01/17     07/02/17     
      Week 2. Nearly nonexistent. OUCH. I snuck in a little art doodle time to not break my streak!   
      07/10/17    07/12/17      07/13/17     07/18/17

Anatomy and Drapery Studies:
      Hogarth Mini 2 - legs and feet
      Pelvis Day

Sculpting a Bust (Nerali Fendyn, Dunmer inspired):
      Collect references and sketches!
      Armature
      Practice with Fimo
      And we're practicing....
      I ran out time to practice! Here's the body.
      The Face: Part 1, Part 2
      Kill it all, restart a million times over a week.
      The Hair: Part 1, Part 2
      Finished!
      Critiques

Sculpting a 72mm Figure (Sora Swifthistle, Sylvari):
      Collect references and sketches!
      The Armature: Part 1, Part 2 
      Legs: Part 1, Part 2

54mm Skeleton
      The armature and hips        Legs
      Tiny watering can                Arms

Conversions
      03844: Damaris (Maeryn/Maria Rumbeard) Different thread.
    • By Morihalda
      Hello friends! It's good to see you all again! My energy levels have been slowly ramping up over the last month, so now I'm excited to spend a bunch of it here with forum friends.  

My husband and I played D&D again with @Rainbow Sculptor and her family over the weekend and had a great time. While we were playing, they brought out this mini - she was gorgeous and I had completely forgotten that I had her too! I believe Damaris was 2017's Duskwarden mini.

Bobby Jackson already made her both fierce and a babe, so now I just gotta make her a pirate!
      My list:
      Add a very fine pirate hat Change her crossbow to a flintlock pistol Change the stone ground to wooden planks Hopefully carve down the quiver on her hip so I can make it a tankard.

I'm actually pretty hesitant about the pirate hat because it would hide the hair - and hair that awesome is a sculpting goal. Seriously. Look at that tiny braid and all the locks of hair.

But my girl Maria spent a lot of money on a very fine hat after she ran away to become a pirate. So on goes the hat.
    • By Mckenna35
      I've had a chunk of antler sitting in my drawer of basing materials for years, waiting for the right figure to use it on.  I recently acquired the Bombshell Miniature Morihalda bust, and inspiration stuck!  The antler was cut at a weird angle but I was able to use a hacksaw and a miter box to square off the top.  I have the dilemma of trying to figure out a) the right orientation of the bust to the base, and b) if I want to fare in the bust pedestal to the antler using green stuff.  I plan on putting a couple of pins in her base, and then matching sockets in the antler.  I figure I can blank off the top of the antler with shrink wrap and then do the sculpting work (if I choose to pursue that) which would enable me to separate them again for priming/painting purposes.  Anyway, I've come to you brave forumites for advice!  I've got four pictures attached showing the four possible orientations of the bust/antler.  Let me know which one you think is the most appealing choice!  I'm partial to #3 myself, but my wife likes #4.

• By Morihalda
      Whoo! Time to paint for ReaperCon! RUSH RUSH RUSH RUSH

I don't paint very often, and now that I'm entering a competition, it's painfully obvious that I don't know any techniques past basic color blocking and washing in shadows.
      I need to try a whole bunch of new things. So! Let's learn:
      - Dark elf skin (I want purple dark elves, to be specific)
      - Soft, gray leather
      - Wild hair color blending
      - Fire
      - OSL from the fire!

First, dark elf skin. I found the first page of @Corporea's Drow bust very helpful - her initial attempt was much too purple for her needs, but super close to how purple I want mine to be! I've also gathered my own mess of colors to test out fun things!  

• Who's Online   14 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)