Reaperbryan

Don't ask me anything. Tell me something.

Ye gods what have I started? Ok, well with the proliferation of AMA (Ask Me Anything) Threads, which I feel I must accept responsibility for, we see that you are all adept at being parts of the Quisition. This is good, as it is only by questioning that we grow. Well, that and healthy soil, sunlight, and rain. Wait, that's not people that's potato plants. Whatever. Ignore that.

But do you have something interesting to tell me?

Don't ask, tell. Tell me something. Maybe it's a fact about yourself. Or about your family/kids/pets. Your latest game or (heaven forbid) your character. A thing you learned on wikipedia or youtube or even *gasp* from a  book or other person (or goblin, wolf, or other sentient being)!

I'll start - I am a direct male line descendant of an exiled Polish noble family, deposed in the 1700's. I'm not a direct heir, being not a direct oldest son->oldest son (I am in fact the youngest son of the youngest son, with several middle and youngest son's along the way over the last 220 years, so I'm nowhere near the actual now-defunct noble title.) 

Your turn. Tell me something.

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

Just now, Paradoxical Mouse said:

There was once a war over a bucket.

I desperately want to know more!! :wub:

• Like 8

I am highly pleased that you included wolves in your list of sentient beings.::)::winkthumbs:

I am also updating mt resume.

Those two things aren't necessarily connected.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Reaperbryan said:

I desperately want to know more!! :wub:

One Italian city-state stole a bucket from the well of another Italian city-state, and a war was prompted. See War of the Bucket. The wiki page says most of it. Really, it was Italian city-states being incredibly Italian city-state-y. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

Mouse likes random history facts. Both recent and ancient. 

For example, OJ Simpson auditioned to be the terminator. He was passed over for the roll because the casting director didn't think the American audience would be able to believe he was a cold-blooded killer.

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

In the 17th century, Chinese porcelain was extraordinarily rare and expensive. Europeans tried for quite a while to get the strong, but translucent look that the Chinese had mastered, but were unsuccessful for a very long time.

Then along came a failed alchemist who had promised Augustus the Strong of Saxony that he could turn lead into gold (with a predictable degree of success). When it appeared that Johann Friedrich Böttger would be fired (or worse) for his failure, he began to work with one of the many people who had been trying to replicate Chinese porcelain. In short order, he was successful and the Meissen works were opened.

Meissen was (and is) a huge success, and that success was largely responsible for Dresden becoming known as "The Florence of the North".

Note: Augustus the Strong is a remarkably interesting fellow: father of hundreds of bastards, champion fox tosser, King of Poland, patron of JS Bach, ....

• Like 10

If you don't need extraordinary precision, you can treat the length of a year as essentially equal to pi * 107 seconds. This is accurate to within about 0.4 percent.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

As I'm sure you have realized, Hollywood delights in taking other properties and transforming them into movies; with varying success.  Books, comics, video games, historical events; everything seems to be fair game.  The exception seems to be role-playing games.  D&D is the only property that has received the movie treatment.  Or so I thought!

Today I found out that in 2008 a movie based upon Target Games' Mutant Chronicles RPG was released.  Deceptively titled  "Mutant Chronicles", it features both Ron Perlman and John Malkovich.  I can not vouch for the quality of the movie as I have yet to locate a copy to watch.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

There is an excellent tank museum in Danville, VA.  In addition to armored vehicles, they have a quite large uniform collection as well.

• Like 9