Reaperbryan

Don't ask me anything. Tell me something.

I was named for my grandfather.

While he was alive, we were the only people google found with our first and last names.

Now that he has passed away after a good long life, I am the only one.

I have lived with him twice, once during my adult life.

I only stopped getting his hearing aid junk mail about five years ago, coincidentally about the same time I got hearing aids.

• Like 14

Dang. If I would've got the "Thanks Like" in that earlier post I'd have had a Like Straight.

IMG_0822.PNG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Darsc Zacal said:

Dang. If I would've got the "Thanks Like" in that earlier post I'd have had a Like Straight.

IMG_0822.PNG

I helped you this time with a Confused for the heck of it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10-11-2017 at 8:00 AM, Darsc Zacal said:

I'm a dog person. :ph34r:

From one Dog Person to another, I straightened it out!!!

A Boxer Dog can be trained to do anything any other race can do.

But due to their stubborness it takes about twice the time to train them.

Some people think they're dumber because of this.

They aren't, they just need to be convinced it is worth learning!

There are Boxers who track down gasleaks for instance, when they find it, they slobber over it.

I have trained all my Boxers to not only respond to verbal commands but also to signs.

When they get older they might lose hearing, but even a deaf Boxer will then respond to the signs for basic commands like sit/down/come/silence etc.

Also they were very popular in circusses for a while.

They love to play "soccer"

circ.jpg

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 12

The nonsensical layout of the QWERTY keyboards isn't really nonsensical.

Find an old mechanical typewriter and check the strikers. Pick two that are next to each other, then depress their keys in rapid succession. 

Odds are that they'll hook on each other and jam.   

The layout is designed specifically to avoid this as much as possible. 

(By moving often-used keys far apart from each other, mostly)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Orcas (killer whales) are not actually whales. They are members of the dolphin family.

• Like 8

The Coelacanth (SEE-la-kanth) is an extremely rare order of fish that includes two species still in existence. They are more closely related to lungfish, reptiles, and mammals, and were believed to have become extinct ~66 million years ago (that's 66,000,000), but rediscovered in 1938.

They are considered the most endangered order of animals in the world.

Coelacanth.jpg.b1bada073f53669e0b52df6bf06355f9.jpg

Edited by Aryanun
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Aryanun said:

The Coelacanth (SEE-la-kanth) is an extremely rare order of fish that includes two species still in existence. They are more closely related to lungfish, reptiles, and mammals, and were believed to have become extinct ~66 million years ago (that's 66,000,000), but rediscovered in 1938.

They are considered the most endangered order of animals in the world.

Coelacanth.jpg.b1bada073f53669e0b52df6bf06355f9.jpg

The discovery of a living coelacanth led directly to the making of the film Creature From The Black Lagoon.

I want to found a new religion. The sacrament of this religion will involve sharing a meal with Jehovah's Witnesses. So to be in my new religion, you have to find out who the JWs are in your area, and then go door to door during mealtimes, and see if you can talk them into inviting you in for a meal. At their expense; you are forbidden from bringing any food yourself.

And then afterwards, you tell them "And this is what it feels like when you pop up unannounced on my stoop and wanna come in and talk religion for a few hours."

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

One of the planetary geology professors here was doing field work on a volcano in Costa Rica. He slipped at a hydrothermal vent, and plunked his foot into well over boiling temperature liquid, with a pH of ~1. His foot was not amused. His grad student assistant had to play adult, and tell him to stop doing field work and go to a hospital; he would have stayed out doing work on the volcano if she hadn't insisted. He claims that the volcano was safer than the hospital he went to. 

His foot is fine now. 

A different one of his grad students, at a different time, sat on a warm and slightly damp rock (also at a volcanic region). She was unharmed when she got up. However, the heat and acid (damp stuff) on the rock had caused the back of her pants to melt/dissolve off. 

This is a very cool professor - I'm very glad I'm not his grad student. I don't think I'm brave enough for feet or pants melting. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

On 11/10/2017 at 12:28 PM, Cyradis said:

The Hawaiian state fish, the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a, is a persnickety little trigger fish. Its name translates to "fish that grunts like pig" because it makes grunt sounds when pulled out of the water. 

Trigger fish have extremely tough (and sharp) spines in their dorsal fins. These can be locked in place to wedge the fish into a rock crevice, or to make it very painful to swallow. The common name "trigger fish" comes from the discovery that a diver can press on one of those spines to pop the fish free and unlock the fin, like a trigger.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 9

If you secure a mesh bag of Styrofoam coffee cups in a free flood area of a submarine (area subjected to sea pressure) and dive to test depth, the sea pressure will compress the cups to the size of shot glasses, where they will remain upon coming back to the surface.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

I once lost 20 lbs. in one week.

It was due to a particularly nasty case of scarlet fever.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 4

While the US flag have been to the moon...  

It's the Swiss flag that has traveled deeper...

When The Bathyscape Trieste did it's dive in the deepest part of the mariana trench, it had a stack of American flags aboard. And hidden underneath those was a Swiss flag... 

• Like 8
  • Haha 6