Reaperbryan

Don't ask me anything. Tell me something.

My aunt was the Norwegian Champion  in Short-track Ice Rallying one year back in the 70s.

Lieutenant Commander Leif "Shetland" Larsen was probably the most decorated allied naval officer during WWII.  

One curiosity is that he had not only awards only given to Officers but also awards only given to Ratings.

He starred as himself in the movie about his actions, too. (The title is 'Suicide Mission')  

• Like 6

In honor of veterans day.

My paternal grandfather served under Paton during WWII. He got to walk Paton's dog. Because he spoke German he had to go around at night asking people to stay indoors because of bombing/shelling. He didn't like the movie Paton because he felt that they misunderstood him and that the movie showed him in a negative light. 

• Like 9

The next time someone tells you they'll do something 'when hell freezes over', tell them they'd better hurry.

Hell is a town located in Michigan. It freezes over quite regularly.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

This may not be the place for literary recommendations, but The Iron Dream, by Norman Spinrad, is back in print, finally, after many years. It's weird and controversial.

It's essentially a pulp novel, set after the Atomic Apocalypse, in which one of the few pureblooded humans left is fighting for survival amidst the mutated chaos of the postapocalypse. He succeeds in surviving, uniting the true humans, wiping out the mutants, and launching a fleet of space rockets filled with human crews to colonize other planets. By itself, it's not hugely original or impressive...

...until you consider that it came from an alternate universe. In its universe, Adolf Hitler didn't go into politics; he emigrated to the US after WWI, got a job doing cover paintings for science fiction novels in the 1930s, and eventually began writing them. The Iron Dream was his best remembered novel, as explained by a critic in the wraparound story, in which the critic is explaining Hitler's background... and incidentally, providing sideways exposition for what happened in that universe (Josef Stalin was the big bad guy of WWII, for example).

Unavailable for many years, it's back, and well worth a look. It's one of those books that's even weirder on the second read.

fdd4bcec8d34e414815907e960d860c3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Confused 4

39 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

My wife was a direct descendant of Charles Martel. I married royalty.

Hey that makes us in-laws! Maybe a thousand times removed though. Here's a document showing off my royal ancestry.

http://mineralogicalrecord.com/wilson/pdfs/18. Royals.pdf

It was written by a Wilson but goes back to Kimballs (my mom's family) and Scotts from England. Basically if you're related to any of those families there's good chance you've got the same royal connections as me. Up until about 1400 we were some of the big movers and shakers in Europe.

Years ago my wife and I were discussing ancestors. She said there's noone famous in her family. I said I'm descended from some of the most famous kings in Europe. Do you know what that means? No, what? Nothing I'm just a poor, dumbass farm boy.

Edited by Zink
link wouldn't work
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

The next time someone tells you they'll do something 'when hell freezes over', tell them they'd better hurry.

According to Wikipedia, that is just a small dot on the map, barely even worth the title of village, founded in the 1830s...

Hell in Norway has a name traced back to the viking age...   

And they have this:

170px-%22God's_expedition%22,_Karin_Beat

And yes, they have regular office hours... 

(Gods translates to 'goods' or 'freight'. )

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

Hell may be in Michigan, but Bliss is in Wyoming. It has a population of ~200. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

In days of yore women did not wash their hair. Soap was actual soap, and would strip all the natural oils off, which will destroy your hair if done repeatedly. So soap was for when you fell in the pig pen or something like that. 

And yet, women who didn't have to work regularly had really long, luxurious hair. And anyone who has long hair knows how difficult it can be to keep it healthy.  How can this be? 

They brushed it. They used boar bristle brushes to brush the oils from the top of their hair down to the ends, keeping the hair healthy. And then, they washed the brush. Like, every day. Of course, long hair takes time to brush that much. That's why only rich girls had long hair. 

That's also where the brushing your hair 100 times came from.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

And Climax is in Saskatchewan. It's about 200 people too. I've been there a few times and it's pretty underwhelming considering the name.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Zink said:

And Climax is in Saskatchewan. It's about 200 people too. I've been there a few times and it's pretty underwhelming considering the name.

There's also a Climax in northern Minnesota. It's about 12 miles from Fertile, which is not too far from Twin Valley.

Seems only fair.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

21 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Wow, y'all live some pretty wild lives and know some amazing things! All I can say is that my life is pretty plain.

Do you like watching puddles gather rain?

I have a mental quirk where I can find a song lyric containing most any commonly used English word, oftentimes several with the same word, though to my knowledge the word placenta only occurs in "Lighting Crashes" by Live. 

Also, I live only about 15 miles from Middlesex, NC. We also have towns named Whynot, Intercourse, Bat Cave, and Lizard Lick. There is also a town named Mt. Pisgah in Brunswick county, which only rises to about 40 feet above sea level at the highest point in the county. Then there is the Mt. Pisgah National Forest, which is actually in the Appalachian mountains. The town and forest are pronounced very differently the town is "mount pi-sigh" while the national forest is "mount pis-GAH". 

Edited by FaekiasDracon
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Happyland is in Connecticut...

It has four very short streets. (But no McDonalds, lol.)

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 5

The Amish have the town of Intercourse in Pennsylvania. It has the BEST chocolate cake. Seriously, that's the best cake I've ever had. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4