Reaperbryan

Don't ask me anything. Tell me something.

At one point, the office I worked in had conference room names selected from local towns. As far as I was able to determine, they were maliciously chosen to be impossible for non-locals to correctly pronounce, as demonstrated on many a cross-country conference call.

Gloucester

Worcester

Scituate

Billerica

Peabody

Haverhill

etc.

GLAW-stir

WUH-stir

SIH-choo-it

Bill-RICK-a

PEA-bid-ee

HAY-ver-ill

[/spopiler]

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Citrine said:

My American husbands favorite Norwegian word is fartsdempere aka speed bumps....

Favorite word, or favorite swearword?

• Like 3

while on the topic of bizarre local town name pronunciation

in Pennsylvania near route 80, there is a town Dubois, PA. The locals pronounced the name as "do boys".

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My french pronunciation is terrible but reading the american versions makes me sound nearly fluent in comparison. I happily avoided french classes through school.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

while on the topic of bizarre local town name pronunciation

in Pennsylvania near route 80, there is a town Dubois, PA. The locals pronounced the name as "do boys".

My parents are from Dubois County Indiana, pronounced the same.

• Like 4

Callipygian: having well shaped buttocks. 

This is what I thought of, applied to steampunk, when I saw the minis term "klockenbooty". But I was mistaken. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/10/2017 at 12:54 PM, Cyradis said:

While regions like New York and Florida will likely suffer due to melting glaciers and rising oceans, Iceland is rising. Since it has said melting glaciers, the land is rebounding upward: the ground is decompressing and becoming less dense and more buoyant. The shores are rising in Iceland faster than the ocean levels are. 

Which is why one day, Iceland will rule the world! 

Fun Fact: DNA evidence displays that my ancestors have been present in Iceland since the late 9th century. Before DNA was known of, my great grandfather insisted that our family is directly descended from Hrafna-Flóki Vilgerðarson, one of the first settlers , who, upon seeing the ice of the fjords, named the land Ísland (Iceland). We thought he was just being foolish, but now there is evidence that he was right. 

• Like 11

21 hours ago, TGP said:

I know how they** moved the stones around to build the pyramids. :ph34r:

A bunch of the "stones" are made of concrete. So, like, they moved bags of dirt.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

A bunch of the "stones" are made of concrete. So, like, they moved bags of dirt.

@Reaperbryan This is an incorrect guess. 

(Although they might have had a forgotten formula for a concrete-like pourable sandstone.)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TGP said:

@Reaperbryan This is an incorrect guess. 

(Although they might have had a forgotten formula for a concrete-like pourable sandstone.)

Oh, I guess I misunderstood this:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/522005d3e4b005122eb8eb5e/t/550c92d9e4b0fbfc5a5631fd/1426887385478/PyramidPaper_NSF.pdf

Or maybe someone did more research that debunked it. 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:52 AM, TGP said:

I know how they** moved the stones around to build the pyramids. :ph34r:

67fffb91c3cc4ab9c0137383fe0ef02059b01ca3015a53c7de2e55c8bcc2361e.jpg.31e79b03c0ad6b35415954d271d31f0b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

The band Switchblade Symphony appears to use a regrettably small number of switchblades 

See also Project Pitchfork and seemingly nonexistent pitchforks.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Callipygian: having well shaped buttocks. 

This is what I thought of, applied to steampunk, when I saw the minis term "klockenbooty". But I was mistaken. 

Well, Mr. Klocke's sculpts are generally known for their posteriors, though most of them aren't steampunk... (Considering Astrid has an electric guitar, she could probably be considered steampunk...)

"Namak" is the Hindi word for salt... The numbers one to ten are ek (pronounced as the last part of headache), do, teen, chaar, paanch, chah (pronounced "chay"), saat, aath (pronounced "ott"), nau (pronounced "no"), and dus.

The things you learn rolling pretzels at the mall...

• Like 6