Reaperbryan

Don't ask me anything. Tell me something.

I love the constellation Orion. I have since I read the December 1995 issue of National Geographic that had an article about the Orion Nebula, and a star map with various depictions of the constellation as imagined by various cultures throughout history. This was exacerbated by my discovery of Bullfinch's Mythology, and the story of how Orion became a constellation therein. I have plans to get a tattoo of said constellation.  

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

One Italian city-state stole a bucket from the well of another Italian city-state, and a war was prompted. See War of the Bucket. The wiki page says most of it. Really, it was Italian city-states being incredibly Italian city-state-y. 

There was also an Emu War.

• Like 7

I just learned that one can now buy a jewelry quality, resin printer that can make lost-wax castable masters from zBrush meshes for under $3500. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

The rarest rpg I own as a physical copy is Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium that was developed by Last Unicorn Games but was unpublished at the time they were bought out by Wizards of the Coast.  Wizards as a sign of good faith to the Last Unicorn Icon system fanbase, printed 3000 copies which were mostly sold at Gen Con and a few other conventions.  The intent was to then put out a d20 version but the Herbert estate wanted too much for the license (Last Unicorn's license expired with the acquisition).  I purchased my copy at Gen Con that year and have never been seriously tempted to sell it despite the ridiculous prices I have seen it go for on Ebay.

IMG_1123.thumb.jpg.4bcb2cd73ea4d447235ef3051326ced5.jpg

• Like 11

The highest point on the first transcontinental railroad is near Laramie, WY, and is marked by a 60' tall pyramid that honors the Ames brothers (who were caught up in the Credit Mobilier scandal attending upon the Union Pacific's role in constructing the railroad). When the monument was dedicated, President Rutherford B. Hayes attended. At the time, there was a town called Sherman near the monument, but subsequent moves of the track caused the town to become a ghost town. The nearest town today is Buford, WY, which has a population of 1.

I've bought gas in Buford.

• Like 12

I once successfully and honestly used the line "I'm sorry, but I will be late for our date tonight because I'm going to stay and help unload a couple of jaguars." on my wife when we were dating.

If you look carefully, you can see me wander in and out of the frame in the background during several early episodes of Animal Cops: Houston.

On my mother's side, I'm descended from King Rama V of Siam.  It's not as impressive as it sounds from that sentence alone:  Rama V had some 80+ children, and he ruled over 100 years ago.  My mom did say that when she was in school, she had a very traditional professor who insisted in calling her by an honorific used for nobility (and he was the only one who did so).

Ron

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

I once drove down to Point Pleasant, West Virginia to do Rocky Horror...

Point Pleasant, WV is famous for being the town where the events happened that inspired the Richard Gere film The Mothman Prophecies. I met several people who had relatives that were on the bridge when it collapsed, and I drove over the new bridge, which connects Point Pleasant with the town of Chillicothe, Ohio.

Rather fascinatingly, despite Point Pleasant being basically on top of a mountain, the State Theatre in town has more than six feet of water flooding its basement.

• Like 8

There can be lightning in the far upper atmosphere. The names for these types of lighting include "sprites" and "elves" and "gnomes". 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I just learned that one can now buy a jewelry quality, resin printer that can make lost-wax castable masters from zBrush meshes for under $3500. 

I was with you and all excited until that price.

I've been pushed off the bench seat I was sleeping on by a mountain lion because she didn't want to share.

In order to get a problematic Creo drawing to acknowledge that the ModelCheck routine has actually been performed, you go to the Tools ribbon, select Parameters, add a new parameter, click OK, then run the routine. The drawing will then register the time the check was done, clearing the way to uploading the file into the data management system, and the parameter that was added can be deleted. (And that's how you start building spaceships, kiddos.)

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

It's Magic: the Gathering. You didn't say it had to be a good something. ^.^ *runs*

Edited by pcktlnt
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1