Reaperbryan

Don't ask me anything. Tell me something.

When a surgeon goes to reattach a snapped-off malleolus (the little bumps on either side of your ankles), they sometimes pin them back on with wire, just like pinning a miniature. I got to see this first hand at my clinical site today, and had to struggle to keep from laughing. ;)

• Like 10
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Pegazus said:

In order to get a problematic Creo drawing to acknowledge that the ModelCheck routine has actually been performed, you go to the Tools ribbon, select Parameters, add a new parameter, click OK, then run the routine. The drawing will then register the time the check was done, clearing the way to uploading the file into the data management system, and the parameter that was added can be deleted. (And that's how you start building spaceships, kiddos.)

And that's why they call it rocket science.

:poke:

In Minnesota, there is a state park that is over 2000' below ground:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soudan_Underground_Mine_State_Park

While they're no longer mining iron there, it has been used as a physics lab, detecting neutrino beams generated at the University of Chicago. The tours of the mine and physics lab are both quite interesting.

• Like 12

The bulletproof vest (not armor) originated from a Detroit pizza delivery guy who was shot twice while working.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I once had a premonition of a rail disaster while I was walking alongside a train that was stopped at a station.  It crashed into a car on the tracks about 10 minutes later.  Seven people died and many more were injured.

• Sad 8

He Never Died is a movie about an immortal cannibal starring Henry Rollins and is viewable on Netflix.  It is surprisingly funny in a dry way and is a masterclass in not overstating your world building.

• Like 6

Peppers are spicy specifically to deter mammals from eating them. Birds take no pain from the capsaisin. A pepper seed has an oily wax coating that can protect it from a bird digestive tract, thus allowing birds to carry pepper seeds to new places. Mammal stomachs mess with the seeds though, so the spice is a defense mechanism against them. 

Humans are just weird and enjoy pain. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

In 1962, while looking at a National Geographic I came across a photo of some old guy dancing with an Alaskan Husky

on board a ship.  I thought it was a hysterical photo.  In 2000 I discovered the old coot in the photo was my Great-Grandfather,

he made the tent left at the South Pole by Raold Amundsen in 1911.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Cyradis said:

@Reaperbryan effectively opened up another randomness thread. It might even be more random somehow. 

Actually, it's come full-circle; this is exactly how the first Randomness thread started before shortly devolving into what it is today. Look it up. ::D:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Crushing your enemies, seeing them driven before you and hearing the lamentations of their women is best in life. *nods sagely*

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I come from a line of "trouble makers". To name a few in my ancestry:

Lucretia Mott (generally not a trouble maker per se but certainly rocked the boat a bit).

An ancestor who came from Australia but arrived in Australia against his will at a time when it was a penal colony.

Another who was arrested by both the Confederacy and a the Union during the Civil War despite fighting for neither. A result of this is that I now own a ladle that was created from melted down silver dollars given to his wife by Abraham Lincoln.

Just to name a few.

• Like 9