Reaperbryan

Don't ask me anything. Tell me something.

John Wayne's real name was Marion Morrissey.

I see why he changed it.

jw-sm.jpg

Michael J. Fox's middle name is Andrew. Problem was, there was already a Michael Fox and a Michael A. Fox in the Screen Actors Guild.

Back_to_the_Future.jpg.486883847e62d5876b18809729b6b48e.jpg

And would The Wizard Of Oz have achieved its success if Over The Rainbow had been sung by ... Frances Gumm?

hqdefault.jpg.85a01bcb7a86753e533b17043a510579.jpg(Shown here: Frances Gumm, after her makeover and renaming)

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 8

download.jpg.6f89b3a230ac543c46da81417a2c20e3.jpg Will Smith did not intend to become an actor.

He was pursuing a successful career in Hip-Hop, had at least one hit before finishing high school, and spent money with youthful abandon... and underpaid his income taxes. The IRS came down on him with both feet, imposed a multimillion dollar judgment, and confiscated many of his belongings, as well as garnishing his earnings. Seeking a fast way to become solvent, he signed a contract to do a TV sitcom... The Fresh Prince Of Bel Aire. The show ran for six years and was a hit.

Upon noting the options open to him after the show's cancellation, Smith decided to try acting in movies. For some reason, he hasn't released any new albums in years.

• Like 8

Dungeons and Dragons was developed by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.

Gygax and his lifelong pal Don Kaye formed a company together -- Tactical Studies Rules, aka TSR -- to print and sell this strange new game, among other games. Kaye was reportedly a bigtime gamer. The two men owned a third of the company each; the other third was owned by Brian Blume, who they needed as an investor to get the whole thing rolling.

In January of 1975, Don Kaye died of a heart attack. Blume's father Melvin bought out Kaye's shares to keep the company afloat. This made Gygax the minority shareholder, although the Blumes had nothing to do with the development of the game. Later, in a corporate fracas involving grudges and lawyers, the Blumes sold out to a rich buyer, Lorraine Williams, and at that point, Gygax pretty much quit having anything to do with the game he invented.

More'n once, I have wondered what D&D would look like today if Kaye had not died.

458050group.jpg

• Like 6

Meat Loaf's real name is, in fact, Meat Loaf.

71780584.jpg.cac13ebf852ce64df38af1916532c800.jpg He was BORN Marvin Lee Aday, and kept this a closely guarded secret through much of his musical career until People magazine outed him. So he legally changed his name. Now he is Meat Loaf, now and forever. I have often wondered if doormen and roadies call him "Mr. Loaf" to his face.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Perhaps surprisingly, bats are also related to the Primates, the mammal taxon that includes lemurs, monkeys, apes, and humans; and to the Scandentia, the Asian tropical tree shrews. All these mammals are sometimes classified together in one large taxon, the Archonta.

- ucmp.berkeley.edu

Edited by pcktlnt
  • Like 3

The Terror is a 1963 film starring Boris Karloff and a VERY young pre-fame Jack Nicholson. It was directed by Roger Corman.

Theterrorposter.jpg.54292cd7ceb8c273440310ed2db7b736.jpg On first viewing, it comes across rather odd, dreamlike, and more'n a little incoherent.

I discovered later that the reason for this is because The Terror holds the record for shortest shooting time for a feature film: between two and three days. Corman had hired Karloff, Peter Lorre, and Vincent Price for his previous feature, The Raven, and finished sooner than expected... so he made a deal with Karloff for two more days, hired a writer to come up with a story as they were filming, and they literally made up the story as they went, using leftover costumes, props and sets from The Raven, The Haunted Palace, and other American International films that Corman had worked on.

Another reason for the film's odd dreamlike quality may be that due to union rules, parts of the film were directed by Corman, Jack Nicholson, Francis Ford Coppola, and several others, then edited and cleaned up for release.

On the flip side, The Thief And The Cobbler is an animated Arabian Nights sort of story, starring the voices of Jonathan Winters and Vincent Price, among others; it was animator Richard Williams' magnum opus. He was literally animating the film, frame by frame, in his spare bedroom, and took 29 years between its genesis and its release.

cobbleramarayv2web.jpgAnd it would have taken longer, except his backers jumped the gun; wanting to capitalize on Disney's Aladdin, they yanked the movie out from under him, added some rather cheap additional animation and songs, and released it. A heartbroken Williams disowned the whole thing, but reconsidered, and after a few years, upon discovering that the fans had reedited the released version without all the songs and crappy animation, he participated in a re-release; the Recobbled Cut, which was way closer to his original plan for the film.

Interesting tidbit: In the original, the two title characters? The Thief has no lines, and pantomimes his way through the entire film, and the Cobbler (whose name is Tack) has only one line, towards the end of the film. The line was to be performed by Sean Connery, but they never got that far. In the Miramax Films version that was released, both the Cobbler (Matthew Broderick) and the Thief (Johnathan Winters) are given extensive dialogue, mostly in the form of internal monologues, since neither character's lips ever move...

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Even Weirder:

One of Peter Bogdanovich's early efforts was a film called Targets. The A plot is about a madman who climbs up in a high place and begins picking off innocents with a sniper rifle. The high place is the screen at a drive in movie. The B plot is about Byron Orlock, an elderly actor best known for his early horror films who is afraid of being typecast and washed up... played by Boris Karloff. In the climax of the film, they bring the loony down because Orlock is determined to stop him, and keeps advancing on him, even after being wounded... and the loony is badly confused, because the actor on the screen AND the real person approaching him seem to be the same person!!!

The film playing at the drive in was, of course, The Terror.

Karloff himself was rather pleased with the film, although it didn't get the accolades it might have; Charles Whitman had killed a bunch of people from the clock tower at UT a few years earlier, and despite the film's high quality and splendid acting, a lot of people were, like, "Too soon!"

targets-lc.jpg

• Like 5

In 1912, English actor William Henry Pratt was a member of the Jeanne Russell players, a theatre company based in Regina, Saskatchewan. Unfortunately the company struggled and eventually went bankrupt, leaving the penniless Mr. Pratt stranded and wondering how he would be able to afford to live.

The next day after the bankruptcy, the Regina Cyclone of 1912 happened, where an (estimated) F4 tornado tore squarely through downtown Regina, killing 28 people and leaving 2500 people homeless out of about 30000, with over 500 buildings damaged or destroyed (if you're ever in Regina, you'll notice that the north wall of the Knox-Metropolitan United church has different-coloured bricks).

As tragic as it was, the actor survived and was able to get a job clearing debris at $0.20/hour. With the money he was able to join a troupe and head to Prince Albert, SK. Later on he would be able to head down to Hollywood and have a successful career.

But you never knew him as William Henry Pratt. You know him..........as Boris Karloff.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

In 1912, English actor William Henry Pratt was a member of the Jeanne Russell players, a theatre company based in Regina, Saskatchewan. Unfortunately the company struggled and eventually went bankrupt, leaving the penniless Mr. Pratt stranded and wondering how he would be able to afford to live.

The next day after the bankruptcy, the Regina Cyclone of 1912 happened, where an (estimated) F4 tornado tore squarely through downtown Regina, killing 28 people and leaving 2500 people homeless out of about 30000, with over 500 buildings damaged or destroyed (if you're ever in Regina, you'll notice that the north wall of the Knox-Metropolitan United church has different-coloured bricks).

As tragic as it was, the actor survived and was able to get a job clearing debris at $0.20/hour. With the money he was able to join a troupe and head to Prince Albert, SK. Later on he would be able to head down to Hollywood and have a successful career.

But you never knew him as William Henry Pratt. You know him..........as Boris Karloff.

I knew that Karloff's name was Pratt, and that he had been a truck driver in his youth. THIS, I did not know.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I knew that Karloff's name was Pratt, and that he had been a truck driver in his youth. THIS, I did not know.

I consider it to be a high honour to be able to teach the Master of Esoterica something. ::):

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Me neither. I find this fascinating.

In my youth I was a big fan of horror and monster movies, so Famous Monsters of Filmland was required reading and Boris Karloff featured often in those.

Never knew about his Canadian connection though.

A little more digging brought up that he was part of an acting troupe that played in many small Canadian towns including Kamloops here in BC, which at that time, 1911'ish, had a population under 4,000.

It would have been such a small out of the way place, and required a lot of effort to get to, it just tickles me that he would've performed there back then.

• Like 7

There are a LOT of weird stories about The Wizard Of Oz, but my favorite had to do with the actor who played the Wizard himself.

download.jpg.888d37cab7b11e5fdef3e7914ca95a13.jpg Frank Morgan was a well known actor who was getting on in years when he was tapped to play the Wizard of Oz in the famous Technicolor musical film, the one that starred Frances Gumm as Dorothy. The script called for his costume to be a tad shabby but of good cut and quality, and some twenty years or more out of fashion. And the costume department couldn't come up with anything that fit. And when it fit, the director didn't like it. And if it fit and the director liked it, Frank found it uncomfortable.

So finally, Frank said the hell with it and stopped at a thrift store on the way home and bought an old frock coat. It was of good cut and quality, but it had to be thirty or forty years old, and Frank thought it fit the bill. It fit, and was comfortable. And while wearing it, Frank noted a slip of paper in the pocket. Turned out to be a cleaning bill for the coat... made out to the coat's former owner... L. Frank Baum.

Wizard_oz_1900_cover.jpg.6171cd5dc93b7d1a80b5fe5298fdd0a1.jpg At first, both Morgan and the studio were skeptical... until they contacted Baum's widow, who confirmed that it was one of her husband's old coats.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

Platypus, also known as the “duck-billed platypus,” belong to one of the three types of mammals known as monotremes, that is mammals that lay eggs rather than giving birth to a baby. It wasn’t      until 1884 that the naturalists could confirm that the female platypus laid eggs. Each female lays around one to three leathery-shelled eggs, and the hatchlings are initially blind and hairless. Being a  mammal, the platypus has mammary glands but no nipples. Instead, the milk is released through the skin pores and gets collected in the grooves in her abdomen from where the babies lap it up.

Another interesting fact about platypuses is that they have a sense known as electroreception. Instead of sensing other animals using their eyes or ears, they sense them by detecting electric fields generated by muscular contractions. Monotremes are the only mammals with electroreception, and platypuses are the most sensitive

• Like 11

To add on, platypi were considered mythological until the late 1700 and even with a carcass, naturalists believed platypi were a hoax.

On a subject so extraordinary as the present, a degree of skepticism is not only pardonable, but laudable; and I ought perhaps to acknowledge that I almost doubt the testimony of my own eyes ...

- George Shaw, Nature's Miscellany 1799

• Like 9

7 hours ago, pcktlnt said:

To add on, platypi were considered mythological until the late 1700 and even with a carcass, naturalists believed platypi were a hoax.

- George Shaw, Nature's Miscellany 1799

I was just about to say that, but you beat me by seven hours. There was at least one VICIOUS monograph written by a British zoologist who was quite sure someone was trying to take him for a ride...

• Like 2
  • Haha 7