Reaperbryan

Don't ask me anything. Tell me something.

10 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

An early episode of TOS has a crewman mention the Enterprise's bowling alley, although it was never seen on the show.
It did, however, turn up in the official blueprints, above the shuttle bay.

In ST:TNG, when you see the medical readouts on the wall of Sick Bay, one of them is the amount of medical insurance the patient has left.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I also consider the fact that while the Beast was supposedly killed, mounted, and displayed in the King's court in Versailles, no one seems to have any idea what HAPPENED to the durn thing afterwards... as opposed to two OTHER legendary man eaters, the Tsavo Lions, who upon bein' kilt, were preserved and can be seen today.

The Maneaters of Tsavo (aka The Ghost and The Darkness) can be found in the Field Museum of Chicago.

They are noticeably smaller than they were.  While they were preserved after their reign of nomming on the locals had ended, they were not well cared for. 

The lions are currently believed to have consumed well short of the published number of victims "only" accounting for 34.7 people (about 70 short of published numbers, but the Ghost and the Darkness also simply killed, and didn't always consume, their victims).

There is another man-eater on display at the Field Museum: The Lion of Mfuwe.  It was responsible for at least six deaths and was believed to be a witch doctor by some of the locals.  The lion had, it seemed, taken to carrying around a bag of laundry formerly belonging to one of its victims.

The Lion of Mfuwe display can also be a nice place to sneak up on your significant other and nom on her (or his) neck.

Not that I've ever done that.

In full view of her parents and kids.

She most assuredly did not scream.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On the various Star Trek sets, various pipes and conduits are labeled with GNDN, a number and a color code. GNDN was both a bit of a joke, and also to let the builders know that that pipe goes nowhere and does nothing. 

• Like 7

I wish I could remember the episode where an okudagram can be clearly seen that incorporates Pac Man, dots, and several ghosts. Prolly even easier to see in HD.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I wish I could remember the episode where an okudagram can be clearly seen that incorporates Pac Man, dots, and several ghosts. Prolly even easier to see in HD.

This one?

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 2

On 12/28/2017 at 4:39 PM, Dr.Bedlam said:

There is an urban legend about the band Van Halen; it states that among the requirements of the band is that they MUST have a bowl of plain M&Ms backstage with all brown ones removed, and if this is NOT found backstage, they will refuse to play.

This is almost true.

Seems that the band's management had just untangled a couple lawsuits against the band. The lawsuits had been filed by venues for damages, once because the floor couldn't hold the band's equipment, and once because the venue's electrical system couldn't handle the band's equipment. BOTH TIMES, the band's management had made clear in the contract what Van Halen's requirements were... and both times, the venue hadn't read the contract, and had suffered damages after assuring the roadies that everything was peachy.

So management rewrote the contracts. From now on, if management could prove that the venue hadn't read the contract, they could refuse services and still charge for them. Plus, there had to be a bowl of M&Ms backstage with all the brown ones removed.

That way, ONE roadie could go backstage, and instead of testing the electrical system, fire alarms, floor's tensile strength, ventilation systems, whatever... he could just look for a bowl of M&Ms. And if they weren't there, someone hadn't read the contract, and the band didn't have to play, and the venue forfeited all funds paid. READ THE CONTRACT, YA JERKS!

Weirdly enough? The band had nothing to do with it. It was all their manager's idea. Although the band members were known, on occasion, to eat the candy. Amusingly enough, a bowl with two M&Ms in it would satisfy the contract, so long as none of them were brown.

i knew this. its one of my favorite facts.

On 1/7/2018 at 5:21 PM, Generic Fighter said:

Well, Bryan, I'm still waiting for Episode 15 of City of Doors! Hoping you will have time to record it soon:)

GF

oh man, somebody remembers that?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dr. Wyrm said:

i knew this. its one of my favorite facts.

When I first heard it, I assumed it was because the band was a buncha demanding showbiz jerks. I was rather surprised to find that the band had nothing to do with it. 

There's plenty of bizarre examples... Jennifer Lopez, for example, requires a relaxation area decorated entirely in white.

Weird Al Yankovic required a new Hawaiian shirt, to keep, at each venue; his collection, I am told, numbers in the hundreds.

Katy Perry's drivers are forbidden to speak to her or look at her except to ask questions about where to go.

Slipknot requires "6 cans of Chef Boyardee ravioli, 1 large bag of assorted Starburst fruit chews, 6 assorted cans of Campbell’s chunky soup, box of baby wipes, 12 pairs of white tube socks."

The late Amy Winehouse required Absolut Vodka, a selection of beers, and a sign for the door reading "Only Big Boys May Enter."

Iggy Pop is known to have requested seven "little people" dressed like the dwarves in a certain cartoon film. It is unclear if he got them or not.

Any venue hosting the Beatles was required to have a TV set and some Coca Cola.

... and at speaking engagements, Dick Cheney required all TV sets at the venue to be tuned to Fox News.

• Like 4

The existence of the "Cthulhu Mythos" is questionable.

61ersdryWHL._SY355_.jpg.854269e1f11d9800100cd645af6cf6f8.jpg Y'see, H.P. Lovecraft didn't go in for world building.

What Lovecraft DID do was write a bunch of stories using common elements, notably the Necronomicon, Arkham, Miskatonic University, Cthulhu, and Yog-Sothoth, who are mentioned in many of Lovecraft's works, although Cthulhu only appears once (The Call Of Cthulhu) and Yoggy never actually appears at all, although we do meet his offspring in The Dunwich Horror. But Lovecraft didn't stretch himself to put any internal consistency into these story elements, regarding them simply as tools to creepify with. 

Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, and Clark Ashton Smith admired each other enough that they actually used each OTHER's creations in their stories; the Book Of Eibon and Tsathoggua were Smith's, whereas anything having to do with mad poets and/or Skelos was Howard's, and they cheerfully and knowingly borrowed from each other as part of a big mutual admiration society.Authors3.jpg.aafdd19c8e7b45e7c1e912dcc1064d23.jpg But, again, there wasn't any real consistency; they weren't planning Avengers movies, they were just having fun and selling stories to the pulps.

This changed with the coming of August Derleth.

A-2420349-1495929619-9151.jpeg.jpg.0988111dba6665ad687d1e645516ad9e.jpg Derleth was a BIG Lovecraft fan, going so far as to found Arkham House Publishing in order to reprint Lovecraft's work (and a fair amount of Howard's and Smith's as well). Furthermore, he managed to get access to Lovecraft's paperwork and unpublished/unfinished manuscripts, and reworked several of them into "posthumous collaborations," with both his and HPL's names on the finished products. In these works, he used the shared mentions of various gods and spooky books and grimoires to pull together a shared universe and cosmology... what would, in time, become the Cthulhu Mythos, and included such ideas that Lovecraft never intended or wrote about, such as Cthulhu and Hastur being brothers, the concepts of "good" and "evil" gods, and the whole elemental idea (Cthulhu being water, Ithaqua being air, Cthuga being fire, and so on).

The idea of the Cthulhu Mythos has persisted to the present day, and arguably added to the growing popularity of Lovecraft's work.

Call_of_Cthulhu_RPG_1st_ed_1981.jpg.cec9afb2f58204a3a9deed8c88468dd9.jpg

Weirdly enough, though, it's a BEAR to find most of Derleth's work these days, whether it has Lovecraft's name on it or not...

• Like 5

H.P. Lovecraft lived in Providence, R.I... His fans regularly make pilgrimages to his house, and the annual H.P. Lovecraft fan convention, the NecronomiCon, is held there every year. During that weekend, theaters all over the city show the various movies that have been made of or based on his works.

One year, however, it was held on the same weekend and at the same hotel as the national Rocky Horror Picture Show convention. Many people became confused as to which events happening that weekend belonged to which convention - a handful of people showed up to the Rocky Horror rave and the afterparty dressed as Lovecraft characters.

Fun times were had by all.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

Unlike Lovecraft, Terry Pratchett's ufinished works will never be finished by someone else, as the hard drive they were on was flattened by a steam roller.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

H.P. Lovecraft lived in Providence, R.I... His fans regularly make pilgrimages to his house, and the annual H.P. Lovecraft fan convention, the NecronomiCon, is held there every year. During that weekend, theaters all over the city show the various movies that have been made of or based on his works.

One year, however, it was held on the same weekend and at the same hotel as the national Rocky Horror Picture Show convention. Many people became confused as to which events happening that weekend belonged to which convention - a handful of people showed up to the Rocky Horror rave and the afterparty dressed as Lovecraft characters.

Fun times were had by all.

I'd have paid to see that.

7 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Unlike Lovecraft, Terry Pratchett's ufinished works will never be finished by someone else, as the hard drive they were on was flattened by a steam roller.

I'd have paid to see that, too.

• Like 3

Unfortunately, it seems that no one decided to record the event, and there's only a couple of cell-phone pictures of it.

It was a 6.5Ton vintage steamroller named 'Lord Jericho' that was used.

• Like 5