Reaperbryan

Don't ask me anything. Tell me something.

8 minutes ago, Zink said:

So he's a general because he's sleeping with a high ranking rebel official and it's to make him feel good while he's off getting killed. Ilike that theory. Also explains why he's a general in charge of what, 20 troops? But Calrissian also got to be a general and he's incharge of all the fighters. The suicide theory works for him but who did he sleep with?

I don't know, admiral akbar?

• Haha 8

8 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

I don't know, admiral akbar?

That was actually my second choice but I didn't think of it until after posting. First was Mon Mothma but I figure that's too obvious.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Zink said:

That was actually my second choice but I didn't think of it until after posting. First was Mon Mothma but I figure that's too obvious.

I always forget she's a thing.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

Because she's been on screen for what, 10 minutes out of the 9 movies. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

:wub: she's a rather attractive... Calling her a thing seems wrong...

• Like 1

So did they make Chewbacca a general, too?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

So did they make Chewbacca a general, too?

pssh.  Chewbacca didn't even get a medal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Crowley said:

:wub: she's a rather attractive... Calling her a thing seems wrong...

Also the fact that she's an intelligent and accomplished diplomat and being a person...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Also the fact that she's an intelligent and accomplished diplomat and being a person...

Significant factors in her attractiveness! 

• Like 1

Pfff discussing who is attractive and who's not..

This Spacefarer loved them all!!!

Spoiler

image.png.f0e9c18a4b504496a1b263772362d3b7.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

To change the subject completely:

The song "Lola" by The Kinks was banned for quite some time from playing on BBC radio. 

Not because of its subject matter, but because of the mention of Coca-Cola in the lyrics to the original version, this was remedied by changing the offending trademarked name  to "cherry cola". 

• Like 5

When Star Wars hit it big in '77, it may have been all of fifteen minutes before someone thought of copying it for TV. As it is, Star Trek: Phase II was in preproduction, but after Star Wars hit it big, everything got recycled into Star Trek: The Motion Picture, leaving the airwaves clear for something different.

The one that made it was Battlestar Galactica.

battlestar-galactica.jpg.751df6c54e4f05d6fc2d86955933336d.jpg Work began on a two hour pilot for a TV series, with an eye towards a theatrical release if the film could sustain it. The movie WAS theatrically released, and can be identified by the scene in which Baltar (John Colicos) is killed off by the Cylons after the destruction of the Colonies, since they don't need the traitor any more. With the greenlighting of the series, they dropped that scene, and signed Colicos as the recurring villain Baltar, who even after being lied to and sold out by the Cylons, remains willing to help them hunt down and wipe out the rest of the human race for some reason.

It was a big hit with science fiction fans, but the network was less enthusiastic; each episode cost a million dollars, which was entirely too much in 1970s money, and they were being sued by the makers of Star Wars because of the similarities (a situation not helped by the fact that special effects wizard John Dykstra worked on both). 

After the first season, the show was extensively reworked, partly to save money and partly to cut back on the similarities to Star Wars. The result was the awful Galactica 1980, which I think is why Lorne Greene must have gone to heaven when he died, because he looked like every second he was on Galactica 1980, he was dying a slow death of sheer shame (he was contractually obligated, and therefore couldn't quit the show). Seems like if you suffer the tortures of the damned before you're dead, there ought to be some sort of exemption loophole after you die.

I dunno why the show was so expensive; nearly every spaceship clip was recycled from the pilot film and the first several episodes. This led to the leasing of said footage to a Canadian company for the making of a film that would eventually be known as Space Mutiny, aka The Most Eighties Space Adventure Ever Made, aka Mutiny In Space, aka That One Episode Of MST3K Where Mike And The Bots Are Coming Up With New Names For Reb Brown Every Time He Runs Around A Corner, Like Slab Beefcake Or Big McLargeHuge, You Remember?
e571ae7b508a1833a923438fea567aa4.jpg.ad2d2f8b9a233d0e31f8366372172569.jpg
The film was shot in office buildings and a warehouse, but ostensibly was happening aboard a spaceship... which was, in fact, the Battlestar Galactica, but with the film flipped upside down and backwards, because, y'know, that changed the way it looked completely. Not.

battlestar-galactica2.jpg

I kinda liked the first series. I feel bad that it led to such shame for so many.

Weirdly enough, a few years before Space Mutiny, handsome hero Reb Brown participated in a fairly game attempt to launch a Captain America television show. It went about as well as you'd expect.

Steven_Rogers_(Earth-600043).jpg.a33ec233413a7c1b0026d064d283d918.jpg

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 7

A story that is told in the far corners of the internet is about Fred Rogers, aka Mister Rogers of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.

He filmed the show at a studio in Pittsburgh, a PBS affiliate, and drove to work every day in his car, same as you or I do. One day, though, he came out after work to find that his car had been stolen. He called the cops, reported the theft, and the news actually picked it up and ran it as a fluff piece on the late news.

The next day, he took a cab to work. When he came out, he found his car parked where he'd left it the previous day... complete with a note... "If We'd Known It Was Yours, We Would Never Have Taken It."

This story was later debunked; urban legend. But it really OUGHTTA be true, durnit.

I think I've said this other one before, but I'll repeat it: When Fred Rogers was filming his show in Pittsburgh, he employed a LOT of people over the years. Two of them were Michael, a young actor who learned puppeteering on the show, and a promising young cameraman named George.

Michael later moved to California to pursue his acting career. George wound up founding a movie studio in Pittsburgh that did advertising for local businesses, and later went into independent film. Both men remained friends with Fred Rogers for the rest of his life.

... Michael Keaton and George Romero, that is. And this one's true.

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

I think I've said this other one before, but I'll repeat it: When Fred Rogers was filming his show in Pittsburgh, he employed a LOT of people over the years. Two of them were Michael, a young actor who learned puppeteering on the show, and a promising young cameraman named George.

Michael later moved to California to pursue his acting career. George wound up founding a movie studio in Pittsburgh that did advertising for local businesses, and later went into independent film. Both men remained friends with Fred Rogers for the rest of his life.

... Michael Keaton and George Romero, that is. And this one's true.

I was watching PBS's Mister Rogers' Neighborhood 50th Anniversary special, they had Michael Keaton host it. Apparently one of his jobs on the show was to stand behind Picture Picture and catch the filmstrips and videos that Fred would slid in to start that segment. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

The movie WAS theatrically released, and can be identified by the scene in which Baltar (John Colicos) is killed off by the Cylons after the destruction of the Colonies, since they don't need the traitor any more.

My uncle and I saw it in the theatre.

I remember thinking it was no Star Wars, but thought the ships and fighters were pretty cool.

• Like 3