Reaperbryan

Don't ask me anything. Tell me something.

This is a cartoon character called Dennis the Menace.

Dennis_the_Menace.jpg.68f7261b39663370f9a3518f4dccbcee.jpg

This is also a cartoon character called Dennis the Menace.

e4c9993855730c0650efbb69e52b2cee.jpg.0f44a462f54ca5cf499658576f446c17.jpg The blond kid was created by American cartoonist Hank Ketcham, based on his own son's antics and some other cartoons he'd done for Collier's magazine, and was Ketcham's attempt to break into syndicated newspaper comics. The dark haired one first appeared in the British periodical The Beano, and is credited to several different artists. BOTH characters first appeared in print in March, 1951. Due to their appearance within weeks of each other on opposite sides of the planet, neither creator took action against the other, both assuming it was just a coincidence. Both characters continue to have comic adventures today.

Man-Thing_1_(1974).jpg.ba8b955215cb8626ac317aeb9d0bd13d.jpgThis is the Man-Thing, a swamp monster and Marvel comics character. He first appeared in May, 1971.

Swamp_thing_09_1974.jpg.447c94b5b80803d243b7f6489ab5b63a.jpg This is the Swamp Thing, a swamp monster and DC comics character. He first appeared in July, 1971. However, due to the production process of comic books, and the fact that the writing and art processes could take months at that time, it is highly unlikely that one was copied from the other; aside from being swamp monsters made of plant matter, the two monsters are extremely different. Both characters continue to appear in comics from their respective publishers, even today.

Lessonlearned.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Kind of reminds me of the whole Digimon vs Pokemon geekfights, a show soooo many claim Digimon ripped off Pokemon.... 

... Despite the fact it's first episode aired a full week before the premiere episode of Pokemon did.  At least in Japan anyways, it might be timed slightly differently than such for North American releases.  But they were released right around the same time, and the only thing they have in common is humans working with monsters to do stuff....  And since they were both released back when everything was still mostly analog for producing anime, it would have taken quite some time to get everything prepared, as there was all that drawing, voicing, and everything else to do. 

... Both continue to this day, are very different (Digimon being, y'know, digital), and digimon revolves around different sets of characters (the digidestined) and various character arcs, while Pokemon specifically focuses on the adventures of a single trainer. 

Pokemon sure caught a lot more attention though, quite possibly because it's a lot easier to jump in at any point and at least know what's going on.  That and the cast doesn't change every season and a half or so.  Oh, and it was on more of the larger networks, with the better timeslots, that probably helped a lot too. 

Edit: Pokemon also has a much catcher theme song, many would argue. (although I prefer digimon's)  ::P:

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, FaekiasDracon said:

Wow, last post in here was Monday. I guess Doc's typing hand has laryngitis...

Or we could just blame the fox for it all... 

...... ..... Wait a second......  On second though, no, we'll find some cat to blame for knocking a lamp over or something....  Yeah, that sounds good. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Everytime I hear a remix of Mongolian throat singing, I can't help myself but imagine that Klingons might be good rap singers.

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

9 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Or we could just blame the fox for it all... 

...... ..... Wait a second......  On second though, no, we'll find some cat to blame for knocking a lamp over or something....  Yeah, that sounds good. 

On this forum we have @buglips*the*goblin who can be blamed for everything!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

On this forum we have @buglips*the*goblin who can be blamed for everything!

I thought goblins were more known for stealing the lamp than knocking it over? 

::P:

Edited by WhiteWulfe
Coding for smiley didn't work
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Stay in the light ... don't take a step out of the light ... remember your Zork ... stay in the lighy.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Boaz said:

Stay in the light ... don't take a step out of the light ... remember your Zork ... stay in the lighy.

The torch works just as well as the lamp, just don't bring it into the coal room.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Froggy the Great said:

The torch works just as well as the lamp, just don't bring it into the coal room.

Or the flour mill.

• Like 5

Or a wind tunnel ? 

Have to admit a few deaths in the dark of Zork convinced me that in Doom you didn't need to carry a torch, as long as you had ammo it was all good.

• Like 3

I apologize for my absence. Standardized state testing is teacher Kryptonite, and I have been busier all week than a man with two snakes and one garden tool. 

61AGrrQurrL._SY550_.jpg.c5d8732ac977646920ab2e95c6409fe4.jpg I like Supernatural. It's a show about extremely pretty men who hunt demons, vampires, ghosts, werewolves, and whatever, and the first five seasons played out EXACTLY like an RPG campaign, something along the lines of Chill, Call Of Cthulhu, Stalking The Night Fantastic, or one of those. Indeed, it wound up spawning its OWN RPG, now sadly out of print and stupidly expensive.

7177Ob-p40L.jpg.85ef137c0b6594227f70c9a1285fa22b.jpg I continued to love the show, even after it sorta jumped the shark back around season six, and then it jumped BACK and got GOOD again, and then it jumped the shark AGAIN, and now I'm not even sure which side of the shark it's on. Its creators intended to wrap it up after five seasons, and I think it's on season thirteen now, and seems to have become a career for its three leads.

Anyway, I mention it because one of the writers was a guy named Ben Edlund.

That caught my attention because there's another show I like: The Venture Brothers, which started off as a takeoff on Jonny Quest, and has now mutated into its own weird black comedy completely unlike anything else on TV. Edlund was a writer for VB, too, and remains the ONLY writer to produce a filmed script for the show (S2, E11, Viva Los Muertos!) other than the show's creators, Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick. Good episode, too, the one with the parody of the Scooby Doo gang.
250px-V_l_m.jpg.8d373492b008967451437a3873e2b804.jpgscr03.jpg.0b4f22fc93a3318ff1c06f1de35a0895.jpg

And so I did a little internet research. And it turns out I was right; the Ben Edlund who wrote for Supernatural and Venture Bros. is the same Ben Edlund who wrote yet ANOTHER series I rather liked... based on his indy comic book from the eighties....

ae8f4628b9879a7eb3cda988fb933c98_xl.jpg.893727810033d1ffe6d8e089ee8aa924.jpgWell, it's nice to see he's keeping busy. That, and he's usually hilarious.

It also seems that Edlund may have had something to do with a recent episode of Supernatural in which our characters get sucked into a TV while a cartoon is playing.

supernatural-scooby-doo-recap.png.0c6e85b5a9f4535f44053750f0e4ac80.png

Regrettably, Detective Munch has not appeared on any of the three shows. Still think he should.

Celeb.belzer.jpg.0245c0a38753efc38920bf84f05c5c8d.jpg

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3

In 1797, a mob began to gather around the French seat of government in Paris. It was the middle of the French Revolution and things were tense.

A young artillery lieutenant noticed that an old cannon was atop the entryway, though, and he somehow laid hands on a can of grapeshot and a charge of powder. When the mob tried to storm the building, he fired on them, routing them on the spot.

It earned the artilleryman a promotion from Lieutenant to General overnight. And that's how General Napoleon Bonaparte got his career rolling...

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

In 1797, a mob began to gather around the French seat of government in Paris. It was the middle of the French Revolution and things were tense.

A young artillery lieutenant noticed that an old cannon was atop the entryway, though, and he somehow laid hands on a can of grapeshot and a charge of powder. When the mob tried to storm the building, he fired on them, routing them on the spot.

It earned the artilleryman a promotion from Lieutenant to General overnight. And that's how General Napoleon Bonaparte got his career rolling...

Not quite. Napoleon was, in fact, a Brigadier and is promoted to General de Division after "the whiff of grapeshot". 

To be pedantic, he is in fact an ex-brigadier as the French Revolutionary Council ("The Committee of Public Safety ") had recently removed him from the army, because they think he has political ambitions. (And they aren't wrong.).

And it was 40 cannon, not just one.

And Napoleon is already well on his way to fame as the commander who broke the defences of Toulon and recaptured that city for the Republicans in 1793.

Edited by paintybeard
  • Like 7

I stand corrected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1