Reaperbryan

Don't ask me anything. Tell me something.

12 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Was it Starcrossed?

Yes! Thank you for helping my amnesia.

• Thanks 1

When athletes become bored of pussyfooting around in sports like MMA, they turn to BUHURT, which entails dressing up in medieval armor and hitting each other as hard as possible with real weapons. 

The most well-known competition is The Battle of Nations tournament, held every spring somewhere in Europe.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

13 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

When athletes become bored of pussyfooting around in sports like MMA, they turn to BUHURT, which entails dressing up in medieval armor and hitting each other as hard as possible with real weapons. 

The most well-known competition is The Battle of Nations tournament, held every spring somewhere in Europe.

image.png.03dbb76ea3e6a92091141f1eef6bef70.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Despite years of being told differently by Journey, there is

no "South Detroit", if you cross the Detroit river heading south out of downtown you end up in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

• Like 3

Steve Martin was asked to appear in the film Looney Tunes: Back In Action. 

When reading the script, he noted that one scene, set at Area 51, had aliens chasing Bugs and Daffy around. He specifically requested that one of these aliens had to be a Dalek.

The studio agreed. Martin did the movie. A Dalek appears in the film at Area 51.

MV5BMTkxNDk5MDQ2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTA0Nzc2._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

You'd probably recognize actor Billy Drago from his work as a villain in...well, pretty much everything, ever....

However, you probably didn't realize that his career actually stretches all the way back to 1979...

actor-billy-drago-star-images-celebrity-

In addition to some of his more recognized tv work such as Charmed in the 2000's and The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. in the 1990's, Mr. Drago also had roles in several famous movies in the 1980's...

He played the role of Frank Nitti in 1987's  The Untouchables...

billydrago.jpg

As well the role of Deputy Mather,  one of the posse of mercenary killers hired to take down Clint Eastwood's Preacher in 1985's Pale Rider...

400px-PRColtArmy-7.jpg

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 8

In the ancient days of the seventies, I often read comics. I did not often read the ads on the back. Nevertheless, I was aware that there was a thing called GRIT, and that you could make money selling it.

ee2935ee4fa3bd11cce27ead088c624a.jpg.ebb0f018aadcc5bbab2fd82dd02aa5e3.jpg I did not know what GRIT was. It seemed to be some sort of newspaper. However, I was aware that newspapers were usually a local phenomenon, printed and sold largely in the area where the newspaper was LOCATED, and what kind of a newspaper out of Pennsylvania is going to sell well in south Texas? 

246819706_gritad.thumb.jpg.99cc6a56b785e8b64d9fc1d1b31e551c.jpg USA Today, which is these days the epitome of the American national newspaper, did not exist in the seventies. Newspapers were a LOCAL thing. The whole idea sounded sort of dodgy to me, and likely a thing it did not pay to get hung up in. So, despite regular blandishments and temptations, I did not become one of the many happy and prosperous boys to Make Big Money and Win Prizes Selling GRIT!

Forty years later, I found out what GRIT was. Turns out it was a sort of crossbreed between a Farmer's Almanac and a regular newspaper, published weekly. It had a national circulation, largely in farming type places, and it WAS intended as a National Family Newspaper, albeit one that sort of specialized in rural matters, farming, and rural trends -- light, entertaining stuff, new farming ideas, a lot of what we'd call "hobby farm" stuff these days, no bad news, nothing likely to upset anyone. It's been around for more than a hundred years, owned by the same family, and predates USA Today by almost ninety years. It apparently was insanely popular during the Depression, and continued to be a decent seller through the end of the twentieth century.

It's still around.

Grit_Magazine_Cover.jpg.4c29ff97af84951432f17ca7a9b9a3dc.jpg ...albeit in magazine form. For some reason, every single issue I saw with a Google Image search seemed to have something on the cover about chickens...

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

That's what's wrong with news organizations today.

Not enough usage of the word dandy and too few breaking stories about chickens.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Just feeding chickens is probably going to be the best laugh you have in a given day. Hens go positively berserk for simple things like leftover rolls, or *gasp* a bucket of dead bugs (you can buy mealworm treats for your chickens, and they really will go bonkers for them).

It's very funny, watching them chase each other, with one or more of them just trying to find a quiet place to munch on whatever goodie they couldn't get down in one go. Or the rooster - mine rarely eats goodies, he will cluck, chirp and bob, telling the girls there are treats!

The broody hens also do that - tells the poofers what's good to eat.

• Like 9

In the nineties, an issue of Doom Patrol had the villain give a throwaway line: "Once, they published the secrets of the universe in GRIT, but nobody ever read the damn thing..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

In the nineties, an issue of Doom Patrol had the villain give a throwaway line: "Once, they published the secrets of the universe in GRIT, but nobody ever read the damn thing..."

I've read that issue of Doom Patrol. I did not, however, go back through old issues of Grit looking for the secrets of the universe...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Although the last few Star Wars films have had much hype about mystery celebrity cameos, this is not a new thing...

The original Star Wars Ep. IV: A New Hope featured the voice-acting talents of...

...John Wayne. :blink: 

260px-John_Wayne_-_1961.JPG

A pre-recorded audio sample of John Wayne's was vastly digitally distorted for use as the voice of Garindan, the Imperial spy in Mos Eisley.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

I've read that issue of Doom Patrol. I did not, however, go back through old issues of Grit looking for the secrets of the universe...

And the universe is safer for it. ::P:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3