Jump to content

Reaperbryan

Don't ask me anything. Tell me something.

Recommended Posts

I think we've talked about Dick Shawn here before, but I'm gonna do it again with more details.

 

dick-shawn-95.1.jpg.c0785abe3292b3033c66db2e0426cf00.jpg Entertainer Dick Shawn is rather obscure these days; he died back in the eighties. He had quite a career, but never quite broke the B list; he's remembered as John Ritter's dad on Three's Company, as Snow Miser from that Rankin Bass Christmas special where he has the goofy song, and I think he was on Love Boat half a dozen times. He was Li'l Abner on Broadway, and did lots of movie parts. So naturally, no one remembers him these days.

Except for how he died.

Shawn started out as a nightclub singer/entertainer/comedian, and he had a one man show based on his old act. Part One was him in a shabby apartment set, rambling about comedy, life, failure, success, and so forth in a sort of rather odd way reminiscent of Andy Kaufman; apparently, part of the JOKE was that you weren't supposed to be sure if you were seeing an act or Dick Shawn actually having a breakdown on the set. And then, at some point, he would collapse and lie there while the stagehands cleaned up the set around him, and the audience would take an intermission, and then come back while Dick continued to lay there like a corpse.

Then the lights would DIE, plunging the whole theatre into blackness, and suddenly, the lights would come ON, and Dick Shawn would be standing there in a spangled Vegas tuxedo and start belting it out nightclub style, and we're into Act Two! And there would be much rejoicing and audience appreciation.

And apparently, one day in April of 1987, Dick went face down into the stage for the intermission, as usual, and the stagehands cleaned up all around him, and the audience wondered precisely what sort of weird experimental performance they were seeing, whereas those who'd seen it before chortled and said, "Wait'll after the intermission, it'll wow ya." And the audience went out for refreshments and a tinkle break before returning to their seats, where Shawn remained onstage, lying there like a corpse.

And the situation dragged on. How long was this supposed to go on? The stage manager was waiting for Shawn's cue, and he wasn't getting it. However, Shawn had given strict instructions that he was NEVER to be interrupted while he was doing his drop dead routine, so they let it ride. To the point where the intermission went on significantly longer than it ever had before, until finally, after Shawn had been lying there for at least twenty minutes total, someone went out and checked on him. The audience laughed. Obviously, this was a new wrinkle in the show! And they laughed again when a doctor was called for...

...and yeah, Shawn's ticket had been punched at age sixty-three; cardiac arrest. Doctors speculate they coulda saved him if he hadn't been left there with his heart stopped for the better part of half an hour.

 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, klarg1 said:

To say nothing of Sweden and Denmark :devil:

 

We don't care about Sweden. But we're good buddies with the danes. Their SF are pretty decent, too, and they supposedly hold some nifty exercises and invites their buddies. 

Back in 2011, Norway and Denmark sent a total of 12 F-16 planes to Crete to bomb Libya. Those 12 planes flew the most 'hot' missions of any down there. (They were 'hotseating' the planes, and keeping them in the air up to 20hours/day. The Norwegian and Danish ROCs were mostly 'avoid civillian casualties', everyone else had much stricter rules)

The Swedes were faffing about and flying recon missions... 

The brits were mostly flying from England(air refuelling to get closer, then launching long-distance cruise missiles)

The planes from Quatar and the UAE were flying 'air superiority'... even if the Libyan air force was a bit bombed out... 

 

So, yeah, we like the Danes. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

38600697_10217211444983391_5168532849090887680_n.jpg.2f812dd4f026307f302c61854494bc32.jpg"Q: The Winged Serpent" is a very odd movie.

 

Set in New York, the monster is snatching sunbather snacks off rooftops, the cops are investigating rooftop disappearances, the cultists are worshipping the monster, and smalltime crook Michael Moriarty discovers the thing's nest in the cupola of the Chrysler Building, and attempts to sell the information to the city.

 

So... it's a police procedural monster movie.

 

And because of the police investigation, and the fact that Michael Moriarty played the DA on the first few seasons of Law and Order, it feels for all the world like a Law And Order episode that went completely off the rails.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2018 at 1:53 PM, Gadgetman! said:

 

 

We don't care about Sweden. But we're good buddies with the danes. Their SF are pretty decent, too, and they supposedly hold some nifty exercises and invites their buddies.

 

 I used to know a Danish guy many moons ago who had been in their special forces for a couple years...

Apparently, his daughter was of some vague and distant relation to the royal family (which I suppose isn't that unusual in a country with under 5 million people)...

 

 

On 8/7/2018 at 7:01 PM, Dr.Bedlam said:

"Q: The Winged Serpent" is a very odd movie.

 

 In my childhood, I managed to view this movie on television some random Saturday. I remember being rather fond of it.

 

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If World War One was a bar Fight...

Germany, Austria and Italy are standing together in the middle of a pub when Serbia bumps into Austria and spills Austria's pint. Austria demands Serbia buy it a complete new suit because there are splashes on its trouser leg. Germany expresses its support for Austria's point of view. Britain recommends that everyone calm down a bit. Serbia points out that it can't afford a whole suit, but offers to pay for the cleaning of Austria's trousers. Russia and Serbia look at Austria. Austria asks Serbia who it's looking at. Russia suggests that Austria should leave its little brother alone. Austria inquires as to whose army will assist Russia in compelling it to do so.

Germany appeals to Britain that France has been looking at it, and that this is sufficiently out of order that Britain should not intervene. Britain replies that France can look at who it wants to, that Britain is looking at Germany too, and what is Germany going to do about it? Germany tells Russia to stop looking at Austria, or Germany will render Russia incapable of such action. Britain and France ask Germany whether it's looking at Belgium. Turkey and Germany go off into a corner and whisper. When they come back, Turkey makes a show of not looking at anyone. Germany rolls up its sleeves, looks at France, and punches Belgium. France and Britain punch Germany. Austria punches Russia. Germany punches Britain and France with one hand and Russia with the other. Russia throws a punch at Germany, but misses and nearly falls over. Japan calls over from the other side of the room that it's on Britain's side, but stays there.

Italy surprises everyone by punching Austria. Australia punches Turkey, and gets punched back. There are no hard feelings because Britain made Australia do it. France gets thrown through a plate glass window, but gets back up and carries on fighting. Russia gets thrown through another one, gets knocked out, suffers brain damage, and wakes up with a complete personality change. Italy throws a punch at Austria and misses, but Austria falls over anyway. Italy raises both fists in the air and runs round the room chanting.

America waits till Germany is about to fall over from sustained punching from Britain and France, then walks over and smashes it with a barstool, then pretends it won the fight all by itself. By now all the chairs are broken and the big mirror over the bar is shattered. Britain, France and America agree that Germany threw the first punch, so the whole thing is Germany's fault . While Germany is still unconscious, they go through its pockets, steal its wallet, and buy drinks for all their friends.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And a few years later, still pissed off at it's wallet being rifled through, Germany walks back into the bar, flips off Britain, and proceeds to punch Poland, starting another bar fight. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, paintybeard said:

If World War One was a bar Fight...

Germany, Austria and Italy are standing together in the middle of a pub when Serbia bumps into Austria and spills Austria's pint. Austria demands Serbia buy it a complete new suit because there are splashes on its trouser leg. Germany expresses its support for Austria's point of view. Britain recommends that everyone calm down a bit. Serbia points out that it can't afford a whole suit, but offers to pay for the cleaning of Austria's trousers. Russia and Serbia look at Austria. Austria asks Serbia who it's looking at. Russia suggests that Austria should leave its little brother alone. Austria inquires as to whose army will assist Russia in compelling it to do so.

Germany appeals to Britain that France has been looking at it, and that this is sufficiently out of order that Britain should not intervene. Britain replies that France can look at who it wants to, that Britain is looking at Germany too, and what is Germany going to do about it? Germany tells Russia to stop looking at Austria, or Germany will render Russia incapable of such action. Britain and France ask Germany whether it's looking at Belgium. Turkey and Germany go off into a corner and whisper. When they come back, Turkey makes a show of not looking at anyone. Germany rolls up its sleeves, looks at France, and punches Belgium. France and Britain punch Germany. Austria punches Russia. Germany punches Britain and France with one hand and Russia with the other. Russia throws a punch at Germany, but misses and nearly falls over. Japan calls over from the other side of the room that it's on Britain's side, but stays there.

Italy surprises everyone by punching Austria. Australia punches Turkey, and gets punched back. There are no hard feelings because Britain made Australia do it. France gets thrown through a plate glass window, but gets back up and carries on fighting. Russia gets thrown through another one, gets knocked out, suffers brain damage, and wakes up with a complete personality change. Italy throws a punch at Austria and misses, but Austria falls over anyway. Italy raises both fists in the air and runs round the room chanting.

America waits till Germany is about to fall over from sustained punching from Britain and France, then walks over and smashes it with a barstool, then pretends it won the fight all by itself. By now all the chairs are broken and the big mirror over the bar is shattered. Britain, France and America agree that Germany threw the first punch, so the whole thing is Germany's fault . While Germany is still unconscious, they go through its pockets, steal its wallet, and buy drinks for all their friends.

 

I'm happy we Dutch sat in the corner armed with a club warning everyone to stay out of our corner.

When it all was over we picked up Germany and fed him with a spoon.

 

As for the second bar fight and the aftermath:

 

It all started when Poland walked into the bar and Germany tripped it, then Russia kicked Poland when it was down, pointing at Germany he started it!

Britain and France then jumped on Germany, Germany K.O.ed France with one blow and proceeded to fight Britain.

Italy promised to help Germany walked over to Ethiopia, who was just sitting there, and hit him with a bottle over the head.

Ethiopia stood up and when Italy saw he was much bigger then he expected, he yelled for Germany to help him.

This caused everyone to fall over the African Buffet.

 

Germany then walked over to the corner where The Netherlands and Belgium were sleeping off their hang over and knocked them both out without warning.

 

At some point Germany got into a frenzy and turned around hitting Russia in the face even though he had promised he'd never do that.

Enraged Russia pushed Germany back and Germany fell into Britain's arms.

They kept struggling for a while.

 

In the meantime Japan decided to bully China, America gave it a stern warning but left it at that.

Suddenly Japan rushed over to America, reached into America's martini and stole the olive out of that and swallowed it whole.

America stood up and punched Japan back to the other side of the bar.

While doing so he bumped into Germany and punched him in the face.

Germany staggered back, Russia grabbed him from behind and held him while Britain and America took turns hitting him.

 

Australia and Canada decided to help America and kept Japan at bay, kicking Italy and Germany when they passed by.

 

Italy suddenly saw where the fight was going and declared it had been forced by Germany to act this way all the time and joined in punching Germany.

America saw that Japan was getting back on his feet, having enough of this he grabbed an oil lamp from the table and hit japan over the head with it twice, setting Japan on fire.

The others all looked at America in shock, DUDE! This was a fist fight, what did you do?

America stuttered, but he wasn't going to stop! while looking at Japan burning, a bit ashamed he threw a glass of water over Japan to help him out.

Japan staggered on his feet and raised his hands in the air, I'm out ! This is not fair.

 

When America looked at the other side of the room, Germany was laying there again, Russia and Britain where sharing his wallet again.

Quickly America grabbed it out of their hands and took out his share.

France stood up and gave the unconscious Germany a last kick.

 

Canada walked over to the Netherlands and Belgium and helped them get up.

America gave them some chewing gum and beer and patted them on the shoulders, it's over guys, don't worry anymore.

 

Germany, ashamed, sat in the corner for a long time and then asked if they could please be all friends again.

So for a while they all sat together and drank for a while.

America and Russia played chess when suddenly Russia flipped the board and stood up calling America a cheater and stormed out of the bar.

Shouting : I'm not talking to you anymore!

 

Germany was a bit torn about who to support here.

Britain, France and the others decided to stay on America's side.

 

After a long long time of strife but not actually getting into a fight anymore, Germany finally got it together again.

Russia reluctantly talked to them again, but had made friends with China, stating they would protect each other if anyone wanted to fight again.

So all was quiet for a while if not reasonably peaceful.

 

Then Britain's little lovechild Israel started crying, annoying the neighbours who couldn't sleep like this.

 

America woke up and sighed. Oh..here we go again!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, paintybeard said:

If World War One was a bar Fight...

 

Pretty good, though it skips a few things and gets some others wrong:

  • France had been coming over to Germany's house and holding Fight Club for a really long time and Germany was kind of tired of that.
  • Austria had been stealing Italy's beer every night for about the same amount of time.
  • England called in its whole gang, told Australia and New Zealand to go mug Turkey in the restroom and got Canada, South Africa, and India to hold Germany so England could hit him better.
  • The US and Mexico were actually just tending bar and trying to sell beer to whoever would buy, but England and Germany were both trying to keep everyone else from spending any money.
  • Then Germany dropped a note on the bar to try to convince Mexico to punch the US, and England said, "Dude, Germany is totally trying to get Mexico to punch you in the face. You should punch Germany first."
  • Well after the fight was over, France came back in, kicked the still-unconscious Germany in the head, and stole his pants as well.
  • And even today, England is still complaining about how long it took the US to get into the bar fight that all the customers had started.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, paintybeard said:

 

If World War One was a bar Fight...
 

 

 Oh, and don't forget the part where Ireland waited until England had it's back turned and then stole back the keys to the car that England had "borrowed" and never returned.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Doug Sundseth said:

 

Pretty good, though it skips a few things and gets some others wrong:

  • France had been coming over to Germany's house and holding Fight Club for a really long time and Germany was kind of tired of that.
  • Austria had been stealing Italy's beer every night for about the same amount of time.
  • England called in its whole gang, told Australia and New Zealand to go mug Turkey in the restroom and got Canada, South Africa, and India to hold Germany so England could hit him better.
  • The US and Mexico were actually just tending bar and trying to sell beer to whoever would buy, but England and Germany were both trying to keep everyone else from spending any money.
  • Then Germany dropped a note on the bar to try to convince Mexico to punch the US, and England said, "Dude, Germany is totally trying to get Mexico to punch you in the face. You should punch Germany first."
  • Well after the fight was over, France came back in, kicked the still-unconscious Germany in the head, and stole his pants as well.
  • And even today, England is still complaining about how long it took the US to get into the bar fight that all the customers had started.

 

Not sure which bits you think are wrong.

 

I'd just point out that "Britain called in it's whole gang" is wrong. All the Empire troops were volunteers. And the large majority of them volunteered because they had been born in Britain and recognised that unprovoked German aggression was a world problem. So you really mean: "Britains' brothers and sons in the other bar hear the ruckus and willingly join in." 

 And "Fight Club" last took place in the French house, and they wanted Alsace Lorraine back. Especially as the Germans treated it as the dog kennel.

4 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

 

 Oh, and don't forget the part where Ireland waited until England had it's back turned and then stole back the keys to the car that England had "borrowed" and never returned.

 

 

...And then Ireland beat up their own passengers in the back seat.

Edited by paintybeard
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

General John Sedgwick. Teacher, father, and General in the Union Army.

sedgwick_0.jpg.4da4b5c5825b754d87e28f0771edc127.jpg The thing about the Civil War and its generals? You can find books about EVERY ONE of these guys. Durn near everybody above a certain rank who fought in the Civil War would go on to be famous as all hell, and due to the nature of the Civil War, a lot of these guys started out as junior officers, or even enlisted men, and got to be generals amazingly fast. And then they all wrote their memoirs and retired. Except the ones who died, who got mentioned in other people's memoirs. And they, too, were famous, and are remembered.

General Sedgwick died at the Battle of Spotsylvania Court. He wasn't a bad general, but is not remembered for his achievements so much as his last words. He was apparently unhappy at how his men at one point on the line were crouching and dodging Rebel sniper fire, and approached them, and said,

"What? Men dodging this way for single bullets? What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? Why are you dodging like this? They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista---."

 

Some say that this is the exact point at which Sedgwick fell dead, a sniper bullet in his head. Others say that he managed the last word, and another sentence after that before his untimely demise. Depends on who you ask. It is, however, a fact, that Sedgwick died during his speech, picked off by a Confederate sharpshooter.

It is apocryphal whether or not one of the crouching soldiers that Sedgwick was addressing remarked afterwards,

 

"A shame he wasn't an elephant."

  • Like 5
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

 

 The thing about the Civil War and its generals?

 

The real THING about ACW is the amazing facial hair:

 

https://www.themanual.com/living/the-finest-beards-of-the-american-civil-war/

 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/who-had-best-civil-war-facial-hair-180951965/?page=2

Edited by paintybeard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paintybeard said:

 

i just figured that went without saying.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.png.7a9a8ce1e6b75dc9c35c034515b3f195.png

 

Even though these bald eagles were trained to do this, it’s still a very new and unusual behavior.

The Dutch national police trained a troop of bald eagles to identify potentially dangerous mini drones in the airspace and, instead of steering clear of them, grab the drones in their talons and take them out of the sky

This is an amazing example of how adaptable and intelligent these massive birds of prey really are.

Capturing and relocating the drones is similar to their natural ability to catch prey and take it back to their nest.

But what’s remarkable is that they can overcome any fear they might have of man-made technology.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

toy-story-woody-buzz_a-G-13390942-0.jpg.39c5aefa1fdc19b94cf8f3dfe54ee746.jpg  When Toy Story was in production, the head of Disney was Jeffrey Katzenberg, who did not care for the rather soft tones of Woody and Buzz's relationship. Katzenberg wanted a new script, something "edgier," with more "insult humor." In the second draft of the film, the one production started with, Woody was considerably more of a selfish jerk, as opposed to nervous and insecure, far more sarcastic, and worse with the insults... which, in a film featuring Don Rickles as Mr. Potato Head, is saying something.

When Roy Disney saw the story reel, he called it "the worst thing I've ever seen," and the entire project came within a hair of being simply cancelled. Instead, Pixar was told to go back to their original concept, while reusing as much finished footage as they could, and the film as we know it took shape and was released. It was the only Pixar project that Katzenberg had anything to do with, as he left Disney rather suddenly before the film's release.

Due to the appearance of Pizza Planet, a pizza restaurant, in the first film, there are now at least two Pizza Planet restaurants in the real world.

In the first draft of the script, Andy, the boy whose toys Buzz and Woody are, had both a mother and a father. This was changed to his being raised by his single mom (Laurie Metcalf)... because the film's budget wouldn't allow for the extra voice actor and the model development for another human character.

Barbie and Ken were slated to appear in an early draft of the script, but Mattel nixed the idea; they didn't like the idea of Barbie having a PERSONALITY, since Barbie is supposed to reflect whatever any little girl who owns one wants her to BE, and they were afraid that if the movie painted her in an unflattering... or merely DIFFERENT... light, it would hurt sales. This is why Bo Peep was Woody's love interest in the first film. Mattel changed their mind after the wild success of the franchise, which is why Barbie appears later... but will not likely appear in Part Four, as Sony now has Barbie's movie rights.

Interestingly enough, while a number of Buzz Lightyear toys have been made, following the success of the franchise? There has never been a Buzz Lightyear figure that included every single feature that Buzz had in the movie (apparently, there's one with pop out wings, and another with Karate Chop action, but not one with both, as the mechanisms would have to occupy the same space).

EDIT! This link leads to an eight minute chunk of footage on YouTube that includes one of the cut scenes of Woody's "edgy" character. John Lasseter cringes at its badness, but admits it's necessary to show it for history's sake. Woody coulda been a serious (broccoli.)

Edited by Dr.Bedlam
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×