Reaperbryan

Don't ask me anything. Tell me something.

On 9/15/2018 at 11:47 AM, Dr.Bedlam said:

OMG, that story is awesome!

If only someone like you had been there the day my son got in trouble for "fighting a dragon" on the playground. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

"THERE'S MORE THAN ONE OF THEM?!?"

:bday:

I'd love to be there the first time she goes to an anime convention. Getting to see dreams come true in person is a rare experience. :lol:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

Antunus Mockus was a former math professor and university rector, became mayor of Bogota Columbia in 1993.  During his term, among many other things, he:

- sacked much of the city's corrupt traffic cops, and replaced them with 400+ mimes, which turned out to be far more effective at reducing traffic accidents and violations

- created a club for good taxi drivers called the "Knights of the Zebra", in which good taxi drivers nominated by the citizens of Bogota helped him brainstorm solutions to deal with the behavior of mean taxi drivers. 
- created a "night for Women", in which men were asked to stay home while the women went out, so that everyone could reflect upon their roles in Columbian society. 700k women participated in this voluntary event
- stopped the practice of city council members distributing city jobs. 

• Like 12

Well, the essay on Facebook has been updated. OneBoot's input has resulted in a bit of a stir among the third graders....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

You probably should /not/ tell young Ms. Pinky that wings may be purchased, not in Target, but in a Halloween store... quite easily in fact, around this time of year.

Several different varieties, in fact. I've seen 'em for myself.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

You probably should /not/ tell young Ms. Pinky that wings may be purchased, not in Target, but in a Halloween store... quite easily in fact, around this time of year.

As have I... But I dunno I want to explain to her folks about how she found out about that. I have enough to explain as it is!

• Haha 7

5 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

That's where I got mine, actually. ::D:

4 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

As have I... But I dunno I want to explain to her folks about how she found out about that. I have enough to explain as it is!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm so glad to be a part of this. ::D:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 10

12 hours ago, redambrosia said:

@Dr.Bedlam I read excerpts of your story to my husband and he wanted me to tell you that you are "flippin' awesome".

Pfffft. I wish.

Fairies, Santa Claus, and unicorns are EASY. Once a year, I get a kid who walks up and says the equivalent of "I trust you to give me the straight dope, Dr. Bedlam, because you tell it like it is. So: Is there a God, and what is His nature?"

I HATE it when they do that. Because when you're a teacher? The only correct answer to THAT one is "Go ask your parents."

Which invariably comes back as "If my parents would give me a straight or satisfactory answer, I wouldn't be asking YOU."

Man, give me unicorns and dragons any day of the week. I can go on for an HOUR about how Protoceratops is probably why we have griffons.

protoceratops-skull-model.jpg.7450879fa4bac7ac2caaad138b1c6bc8.jpg Oh, yeah... Protoceratops, a relative of Triceratops, was about the size of a lion, but had a beaky face, and its fossils can be found throughout the Middle East. It's been theorized that ancient man found one of these things, and concluded that a beaked lion had died at some point. It is unclear why griffons have wings when Protoceratops did not; perhaps ancient man thought the wing bones got lost, or eaten with buffalo sauce by dragons, or some durn thing...

• Like 12

If I had unlimited funds right now, I would so volunteer to pay for @OneBoot and Ms Farrah to visit your school, @Dr.Bedlam  And since we're talking unlimited funds, have them deliver a set of wings to all the third graders who wanted them. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, kristof65 said:

If I had unlimited funds right now, I would so volunteer to pay for @OneBoot and Ms Farrah to visit your school, @Dr.Bedlam  And since we're talking unlimited funds, have them deliver a set of wings to all the third graders who wanted them. 

Well, while you're at it, could I have a raise?:devil:

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

15 minutes ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

Well, while you're at it, could I have a raise?:devil:

As soon as I get unlimited funds. ::D:

In other words, don't hold your breath. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

22 hours ago, Dr.Bedlam said:

... Protoceratops, a relative of Triceratops, was about the size of a lion, but had a beaky face, and its fossils can be found throughout the Middle East. It's been theorized that ancient man found one of these things, and concluded that a beaked lion had died at some point. It is unclear why griffons have wings when Protoceratops did not; 

Early Griffins did not have wings:

griffin-fresco-the-throne-room-palace-of

The palace of Minos, Knossos Crete

Later in and by the Middle Ages Griffins mostly had wings. But the Wingless variety survived into the Medieval period long enough to make it into Heraldry texts:

47f1769ae84926e49af1210abcda4600--griffi

...and thence onto the Internet. 

Who first did the wings?

I’m not saying it was Aliens Artists

or Heralds that did it...

...but it was Artists. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4